PDA

View Full Version : Which modems work on 10mbit ?

SnoopZ
08-11-2005, 19:38
Hi all,

Now that the 10mbit rollout has begun I thought it would be beneficial to everyone if there was a list of modems that had been confirmed to work fully on 10mbit, and users posting what download they are getting.

I currently have a Motorola SB3100 and trying to find out if anyone has upgraded with no speed problems with this modem or whether a modem upgrade is required and whether CS confirm an upgrade is required. As I suspect this modem might have problems.

Paul
08-11-2005, 19:51
I think all the Ambit CM's will work, however, by default it appears the ethernet port on them is set to 10Mbps, no duplex, which will actually slow you down from full speed. The solution being to log into the modem and manually change it to 100Mbps, and make sure your computers net card is similarly set (otherwise you will have problems).

SnoopZ
08-11-2005, 20:00
I know the Motorola SB3100 only has a 10mbit ethernet port which runs at half duplex. I'm sure i'll find my answer as more and more people with old modems get upgraded.

Hom3r
08-11-2005, 20:40
What about the Terayon modems

JohnHorb
08-11-2005, 20:46
What about Samsung STBs? I'm sure I've seen it posted that they can handle up to 30+MB, but someone has been told by CS (which means not a lot) that they can't handle 10MB.

Nidge
08-11-2005, 21:04
What about the Terayon modems

The terayons can handle the speed upgrades.

icanadvise
08-11-2005, 21:12
there is a load of useful info on modems and other stuff at this http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?t=6098 page

Hom3r
08-11-2005, 21:17

thanks

SnoopZ
08-11-2005, 21:30
there is a load of useful info on modems and other stuff at this http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?t=6098 page

This answers my question....

In some cases (3Com CMX, Motorola 3100) the modem only contained a 10Mbps interface, so it fundamentally cannot run at 10Mbps. Expect 5.5 to 6Mbps.

Looks like CS will need to upgrade my modem but somehow I bet I have trouble getting them to do that! as they might put the 5-6 Mbps down to congestion.

Maybe someone from NTL has an official line on this with regard to the SB3100 ?

Thanks in advance.

Paul
08-11-2005, 21:34
I've tried changing my Ambit 120 to 100M, but it doesn't make any difference, in fact it's more unstable than the 10M duplex setting so I've left it on that. Getting 5Mbps atm according to Robins test - still, it could be that his test is getting busy atm.

Tuftus
08-11-2005, 21:44
I've tried changing my Ambit 120 to 100M, but it doesn't make any difference, in fact it's more unstable than the 10M duplex setting so I've left it on that. Getting 5Mbps atm according to Robins test - still, it could be that his test is getting busy atm.

I have my NIC, Router and Ambit 120 set to 100 Full Duplex with no probs (that I can tell anyway, what makes yours unstable?)...

Oh, and what NIC have you got?

SnoopZ
08-11-2005, 21:47

I wish the SB3100 had a 100Mbit ethernet port. I contacted NTL 3 months ago about my modem worries and was told that the SB3100 was ok on 10mbit. I tried to get them to swap my modem for an NTL250 but they wouldn't without reporting a fault.

I actually own my SB3100 so legally i could just decide to stop using it and then NTL would have to supply me with a new modem ? I guess I could accidently drop something on it! :D

Tuftus
08-11-2005, 21:50
I wish the SB3100 had a 100Mbit ethernet port. I contacted NTL 3 months ago about my modem worries and was told that the SB3100 was ok on 10mbit. I tried to get them to swap my modem for an NTL250 but they wouldn't without reporting a fault.

I actually own my SB3100 so legally i could just decide to stop using it and then NTL would have to supply me with a new modem ? I guess I could accidently drop something on it! :D

I hope you mean 'virtually' drop something on it... ;)

(as in virtual reality, not really;) )

SnoopZ
08-11-2005, 21:53
I hope you mean 'virtually' drop something on it... ;)

(as in virtual reality, not really;) )

Indeed as I wouldn't want to be without any internet until its fixed ;)

Fenlock
08-11-2005, 21:54
I have my NIC, Router and Ambit 120 set to 100 Full Duplex with no probs (that I can tell anyway, what makes yours unstable?)...

Oh, and what NIC have you got?

And are you getting the full 1000kbps download? Good test site's to download from are Microsoft Downloads.

Im in this strange "only on about 5 meg" boat aswell. All my kit is set to 100mb full duplex, cant get past 600kbps download from anywhere.

odd.

bringerofnoise
08-11-2005, 22:05
snap! but downloaded 66 meg in 1 half minutes so ill be ok till they sort it:)

Hom3r
08-11-2005, 22:31
Originally Posted by JohnHorb
According to this

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/for...read.php?t=6098 (http://www.chetnet.co.uk/portal/forum/showthread.php?t=6098)

The Terayon should support 7-8MB.

??

Fenlock
08-11-2005, 22:57
Mines a "Ambit ETH/USB Combo Cable Modem"

Came in a NTL 100 HOME box.

Althought it has 100M Full duplex ethernet port options, im getting this described 5 or 6 meg connection. So it would seem the Ambit's are not working fully with 10MB?

Anyone able to confirm over 1000k download's with an Ambit?

Got an ntl250 on it's way. That should sort it.

SnoopZ
08-11-2005, 23:51

Althought it has 100M Full duplex ethernet port options, im getting this described 5 or 6 meg connection. So it would seem the Ambit's are not working fully with 10MB?

So you phoned CS and said your modem was only getting 5-6 Mbps ? and their sending an engineer out to replace your modem ?

If so i hope this is the scenerio i have with Ntl.

mmm
09-11-2005, 00:02

They cannot, they only have a 10Mbps half-duplex WAN port. The maximum theoretical value is 70-80% of 10Mbps download. BUT the user is unlikely to notice as its going to be difficult to get a speedtest site to stream fast enough to test. So my guess is that ntl will not upgrade their long standing loyal customers. My Terayon power supply seems a bit hot though it might overheat with the increased download? Can I register an ntl250 I have been given - was left in a house when the new owners moved in and ntl supplied a new one with re-install?

SnoopZ
09-11-2005, 00:26
Well i was looking at the autoreg page and accidently clicked the upgrade to 10mbps button as i wasn't thinking it would upgrade me on the spot and was trying to get more info on it.

Well the modem rebooted and i can now report that my Motorola SB3100 can only get a max download speed of around 5mbps!!!!! as i had expected.

Looks like im going to have to phone CS tomorrow afternoon.... not looking forward to that. And thats only if the Ntls phone engineer arrives to fix my phone as it died at the weekend.

If anyones interested i was on 2mbit before.

DaBuzz
09-11-2005, 00:35
I still got a CMX, hope it will do 5+

Hom3r
09-11-2005, 11:22
Today my speed is 4-7MB, I phoned NTL and they said that the Terayon can handle the speed and more

Fenlock
09-11-2005, 12:11
So you phoned CS and said your modem was only getting 5-6 Mbps ? and their sending an engineer out to replace your modem ?

If so i hope this is the scenerio i have with Ntl.

Not exactly.... Ebay...

Graham M
09-11-2005, 12:21
LoL idiot, you cant connect a Modem to NTL's network without it being registered. And they wont register a Modem off eBay because basically it is more than likely their property anyway!

Fenlock
09-11-2005, 12:26
No - get your facts right. Not if the modem is taken off the system and re-registered against the new user. Ive done it before, and i know the person who sold it. No-need to call me an idiot.

In the past when i needed a replacement to my surfboard that poped, i just asked CS to register a friends old modem against my acount and they did - without any problem.

Besides for what i paid for it, if it doesnt work its no big loss to me.

Ben
09-11-2005, 12:35
No - get your facts right. Not if the modem is taken off the system and re-registered against the new user. Ive done it before, and i know the person who sold it. No-need to call me an idiot.

Only time the modem cant be used is if the mac is still registered with ntl.

I think your be hard pushed for NTL to register a modem bought of E-Bay. I could be wrong but I cant see them registering a modem bought from e-bay

Fenlock
09-11-2005, 12:39
I think your be hard pushed for NTL to register a modem bought of E-Bay. I could be wrong but I cant see them registering a modem bought from e-bay

Ok, obviously shouldnt of mentioned the E word on here. Im not going to tell them i got it from Ebay. Just a friend - that's not a lie either.

If it doesnt work, it doesnt work. But it has before. I cant stomach trying to explain to tech support yet why my amit's slow - i will if this get's me no where.

Ben
09-11-2005, 12:42
Ok, obviously shouldnt of mentioned the E word on here. Im not going to tell them i got it from Ebay. Just a friend - that's not a lie either.

If it doesnt work, it doesnt work. But it has before. I cant stomach trying to explain to tech support yet why my amit's slow - i will if this get's me no where.

Fair enough :) I phoned TS and explained the issues. Was put on hold for about 5 minutes then the women came back and said "We will raise an engineer request to replace your modem"

Ok it is going to take 3 weeks but hey 6Mbit until them is alright :)

-=BULLDOGG=-
09-11-2005, 12:45
hi there i have a silver ntl:200 modem as far as i can tell dont really know anything about this but what im wondering is will it handle speeds of 10mb or will i need to upgrade it? if it cant handle 10mb could someone please tell me what it will handle thanks ..Billy

bongman_uk
09-11-2005, 12:47
Hi All

Just to let you know: I was on the 3mb service. Last night i upgraded to 10mb over the phone. I get full 1000kbps speeds from here :

http://www.randall.homechoice.co.uk/speedtest.html

I am however using the Blue modem, and my pc is connected to it at 100mbit (even at half duplex that is plenty)

Ben
09-11-2005, 12:47
hi there i have a silver ntl:200 modem as far as i can tell dont really know anything about this but what im wondering is will it handle speeds of 10mb or will i need to upgrade it? if it cant handle 10mb could someone please tell me what it will handle thanks ..Billy

Is the NTL 200 modem the blue small one? (I can't remember) If so that will work fine. If its a silver one (maybe there are 2 silver ones?) I know the ambit 120 is having trouble.

-=BULLDOGG=-
09-11-2005, 12:50
silver and all it says on the bottom is ntl:200 :( also where you an existing 3mb customer when you upgraded to 10mb over the phone as when i just tried they said new customers only until december

zing_deleted
09-11-2005, 12:54

try downloading something using Reget or getright to split the file

Do you know what receiving stolen property means??? It appears you maybe guilty of said offence

Ben
09-11-2005, 12:54
silver and all it says on the bottom is ntl:200 :( also where you an existing 3mb customer when you upgraded to 10mb over the phone as when i just tried they said new customers only until december

Yea I was a 3Mbit customer and when I called they done it for me right away. Took 10 minutes of silence on the phone but he done it.

-=BULLDOGG=-
09-11-2005, 12:57
ok cheers m8 ill try again and again till these idiots get it sorted then

zeus9876
09-11-2005, 13:02
I have upgraded to the 10meg service and have a NTL HOME 100 modem and CS says they wont swap it out as its working . I am only getting around 5mb/s down. I dont ming buying my own modem but which one should i buy and will this help the speeds ?

Ben
09-11-2005, 13:03
I have upgraded to the 10meg service and have a NTL HOME 100 modem and CS says they wont swap it out as its working . I am only getting around 5mb/s down. I dont ming buying my own modem but which one should i buy and will this help the speeds ?

Call TS not CS ;) work with them on there diagnosis and they will find that the problem is with the modem :)

bongman_uk
09-11-2005, 13:06
http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/index.php?page=index_v2&id=91&c=4

these are the modem types, the Blue one is the NTL : 250

-=BULLDOGG=-
09-11-2005, 13:07
WOOHOO done it these are my speed test results Direction

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)

Downstream9163 Kbps (1,145.4 KB/sec)9896 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream487 Kbps (60.9 KB/sec)525 Kbps (inc. overheads)

are these good or bad please?

Ben
09-11-2005, 13:08
WOOHOO done it these are my speed test results Direction

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)

Downstream9163 Kbps (1,145.4 KB/sec)9896 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream487 Kbps (60.9 KB/sec)525 Kbps (inc. overheads)

are these good or bad please?

Exactly what you should be getting mate :) you must have a modem that supports the full 10Mbit :)

-=BULLDOGG=-
09-11-2005, 13:09
me strokes modem lovingly :D

SMHarman
09-11-2005, 13:15
Do you know what receiving stolen property means??? It appears you maybe guilty of said offenceIs this really the case - technically yes - but NTL don't bother collecting them as it is not worth it from a cost / benefit view, this has been stated many times on here, and quite possibly by some of the NTL CS that post.

So if they don't want to collect their property despite being given the oportuninty then you have the choice to dispose of it how you will. That can include eBay.

If the Aquirer uses it to obtain service that is the theft, as the poster has paid for the service and is asking NTL to change the device registered to recieve the service I can't see theft taking place here.

zing_deleted
09-11-2005, 13:18
Is this really the case - technically yes - but NTL don't bother collecting them as it is not worth it from a cost / benefit view, this has been stated many times on here, and quite possibly by some of the NTL CS that post.

So if they don't want to collect their property despite being given the oportuninty then you have the choice to dispose of it how you will. That can include eBay.

If the Aquirer uses it to obtain service that is the theft, as the poster has paid for the service and is asking NTL to change the device registered to recieve the service I can't see theft taking place here.

I agree with what your saying but imo the theft has still happened.The seller has sold something that wasn't his this is theft isnt it?.The buyer knowing that chances are the seller has sold something that wasnt his is theft means that the receiver has bought stolen goods.The crime in theory has been commited still but the likelyhood of action is slim

Dobbo
09-11-2005, 13:29
i have the silver ntl:100 modem havent seen speeds faster than 5 meg, is it recommended i speak to tech and try and get it replaced?

SMHarman
I agree with what your saying but imo the theft has still happened.If I lend you something and later say I don't want it back, what do you do with it. Maybe you don't want it because it is cluttering up your house or no longer of use to you, you have offered it back to me, but I don't want it and have told you so. If you go and sell it, can I turn around and say it wasn't yours to sell, no, I told you I no longer wanted it, thus giving up my ownership rights to it. I belive this is the case for CMs (though not STBs which they want back).

Frankie-Gush
I have a Motorola SB4100.

Was upgraded last night, but only getting the 5mb speeds, so it doesn't look like it can handle the full 10mb.

Anyone else got a SB4100 with the same results ??

zing_deleted
09-11-2005, 13:34
If I lend you something and later say I don't want it back, what do you do with it. Maybe you don't want it because it is cluttering up your house or no longer of use to you, you have offered it back to me, but I don't want it and have told you so. If you go and sell it, can I turn around and say it wasn't yours to sell, no, I told you I no longer wanted it, thus giving up my ownership rights to it. I belive this is the case for CMs (though not STBs which they want back).

As I said I agree with you but I also explained my reasoning,I may be wrong but ive never heard ntl say its ok you can have it .they just dont collect them

zeus9876
09-11-2005, 13:37
Call TS not CS ;) work with them on there diagnosis and they will find that the problem is with the modem :)

I did phone TS and not CS my mistake. They told me that the modem was getting 10meg according to their test and that it was my router. I have a belkin 802.11g wireless router and i know this is not the problem. So back to my original question.... If i purchase a broadband modem are the chanes of me getting better speeds increased ? If so what would someone reccomened ?

Dobbo
09-11-2005, 14:13
i called tech they told me to use ethernet instead of usb =/

Gazzzz
09-11-2005, 14:15
My SACM is a Ambit, a few years old. I've forced both the modem and my router to 100mpbs/Full Duplex and it has made no difference to my download speeds, still between 4-6mbps.

PowerUser
09-11-2005, 16:04
i have the silver ntl:100 modem havent seen speeds faster than 5 meg, is it recommended i speak to tech and try and get it replaced?

Apparently they will not replace your modem unless the current one is faulty, Now where's that hammer.;)

Chrysalis
09-11-2005, 17:16

Same here, mine was already on 100 full, and seems to max at around 4000kbit. Either the modem cant handle it or there is a bug where it doesnt actually negotiate at 100mbit.

How did you get them to send the 250, I am regrettign ringing up badly now :( I rang up asking for a 250 reason been 120 not handling 10mbit and that lost me my upgrade. I thought of deliberatly damaging this modem but then I would be offline until the new one arrives.

Colli
09-11-2005, 17:17
They cannot, they only have a 10Mbps half-duplex WAN port. The maximum theoretical value is 70-80% of 10Mbps download. BUT the user is unlikely to notice as its going to be difficult to get a speedtest site to stream fast enough to test. So my guess is that ntl will not upgrade their long standing loyal customers. My Terayon power supply seems a bit hot though it might overheat with the increased download? Can I register an ntl250 I have been given - was left in a house when the new owners moved in and ntl supplied a new one with re-install?

Isn't the reference to the Terayon's 10Mbps half-duplex WAN port only applicable if you're using ethernet? My Terayon is connected via USB and I'm only getting speeds of around 4Mbit downstream.

Technical Support have also assured me that the Terayon can definitely cope with the increased speeds. To be honest, I'm prepared to wait and see if my speed improves - more work will be performed in the early hours of 10th November over several areas. The status page specifically mentions "service upgrades" so I'm hoping that will bring speeds up to par.

Hom3r
09-11-2005, 17:46
Isn't the reference to the Terayon's 10Mbps half-duplex WAN port only applicable if you're using ethernet? My Terayon is connected via USB and I'm only getting speeds of around 4Mbit downstream.

Technical Support have also assured me that the Terayon can definitely cope with the increased speeds. To be honest, I'm prepared to wait and see if my speed improves - more work will be performed in the early hours of 10th November over several areas. The status page specifically mentions "service upgrades" so I'm hoping that will bring speeds up to par.

This is exactly what happened to me, I'm getting on average 5-6Mb, I've had one speed test Hit 9.8Mb but I don't know what is going on I've read that the Terayon can/cannot handle the speed and been told by CS that it can handle way beyond 10Mb. If it need to be replaced I'll have to make sure they do not take my Terayon as I paid £150 for it from NTL when I went from Dial Up to BB

(can somebody explain why my dads PC which is hard wired to the Router can only get an average speed of 250kb?)

SnoopZ
09-11-2005, 17:59
Looks like im going to have to phone CS tomorrow afternoon.... not looking forward to that. And thats only if the Ntls phone engineer arrives to fix my phone as it died at the weekend.

Phoned TS and told them that i had spilt coffee on my modem and it was completely dead (making sure the modem was unplugged of course while on the phone to him) and asked for him to arrange an engineer to install a replacement....... Hes coming next monday!

I thought it was easier to say that than try to explain that i knew the Motorola SB3100 would have problems with this speed, seeing alot of people with other modems are only getting around 5Mbit also.

kronas
09-11-2005, 18:17

im still unsure as to whether the terayon TJ210 can handle the full 10mbit, my guess is it cant, most i can squeeze out of it is 8724kbits, however on USB its only 4mbit as you have described, might give NTL a ring toomorow to get a new modem.

Fenlock
09-11-2005, 18:29
Phoned TS and told them that i had spilt coffee on my modem and it was completely dead (making sure the modem was unplugged of course while on the phone to him) and asked for him to arrange an engineer to install a replacement....... Hes coming next monday!

I thought it was easier to say that than try to explain that i knew the Motorola SB3100 would have problems with this speed, seeing alot of people with other modems are only getting around 5Mbit also.

Be annoying if he just gets some old ntl100 from the back of his van :angel:

Still good luck though

rdhw
09-11-2005, 18:40
General remark to all those interested in the 10Mbps question:

Just because the download rate cap has been increased to 10Mbps, it does not mean that you will ever experience that speed of download. If you see 5Mbps you are doing very well indeed. The 10Mbps is not a guarantee from NTL of service at that speed: it is just a guarantee that you will not see anything faster than that.

Conditions on the internet in the world at large are such that it will be rare indeed for anyone to see a sustained download speed of 10Mbps from any remote site. Even here at work, where I have 100Mbps to the desk fed from a 10Gbps backbone, I don't see sustained 10Mbps in practice very often.

In particular, on a typical cable distribution network, there is only 30 to 40Mbps of download bandwidth to be shared between several hundred customers in your local area. The maximum download rate you can experience is governed by what your few-hundred neighbours have left for you to use from that total. If more than two or three are using their PCs to do heavy downloading, you will not be able to reach 10Mbps.

Domestic broadband is a contended service: you all share a single distribution medium. By setting the cap as high as 10Mbps, all NTL are doing is effectively saying: we will let local downstream contention be your effective cap, rather than artificially holding back your modem's performance for the benefit of others in the area.

Chrysalis
09-11-2005, 18:49
rdhw I know but it seems this issue isnt to do with contention but rather a technical aspect of the modem, I have got an engineer coming tommorow having reported my modem faulty and now wondering what to do to get the new modem O_O.

Paul
09-11-2005, 18:51
While that may be true Robin, the Ambit 120's do have a problem, I've tried it at al hours (inc 5am in the morning) and the results are always the same - it max's out at 5M. I'm told there is a general problem with them working on the langley network (which is being looked at) and also that the new 250's will work better. :)

Chrysalis
09-11-2005, 19:08
Paul what you reckon will happen if I tell the engineer I want one for 10mbit to work properly, you think he will just swap them or I will get billed for false callout?

markmarkymark
09-11-2005, 19:14
Interesting this ...

The 200 series modem works well
The Ambit 120 series modem max's out at 5M (to quote paul above)
..and the Ambit 100 modem (which I have) seems to have no improvement on the 3M service I was receiving prior to the upgrade. THis at least seems to be the pattern forming ..

MArk

DaBuzz
09-11-2005, 19:46
CMX here. Despite the manual and spec sheet saying its a 3mbit modem, I'm getting 8.51mbit. Might be missing out on 1.5mbit, but who cares right.

Paul
09-11-2005, 19:50
Paul what you reckon will happen if I tell the engineer I want one for 10mbit to work properly, you think he will just swap them or I will get billed for false callout?I have no idea what will happen tbh. For the moment I'm not going to do anything, I had 3M, now I have 5M, so things are looking up. I'm waiting to see what official line they come up with for the modem problem.

etccarmageddon
09-11-2005, 21:53
is the langley network the old cable and wireless one?

Marge
09-11-2005, 21:56
is the langley network the old cable and wireless one?

no

etccarmageddon
09-11-2005, 21:58
found some good info here on langley etc

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=587&page=1&highlight=langley+network

Chrysalis
09-11-2005, 21:59
I have no idea what will happen tbh. For the moment I'm not going to do anything, I had 3M, now I have 5M, so things are looking up. I'm waiting to see what official line they come up with for the modem problem.

Right now I am heavily regretting calling CS, because if I had just left it as is I would be in the same situation, now I am back on 2mbit. Someone on another forum has stated to me that I will have to wait 30 days from today and it doesnt actually go on billing month meaning I might have to wait until dec 9th now to get 5/10 mbit back.

Incidently I got an idea whats up with the ambit's 1xx and ntl might not need to supply new modem's.

the duplex setting we all can mess with is from the modem to our own lan card, the modem itself will have its own negotiation with the ubr which is probably at 10 half, hence the 5mbit so in theory if I am right ntl can send another flash down to the modem to set it at 10 full or 100mbit and then change the ubr negot setting and all will be well.

Bambi
09-11-2005, 22:16
Paul what you reckon will happen if I tell the engineer I want one for 10mbit to work properly, you think he will just swap them or I will get billed for false callout?

I asked CS this when getting upgraded, she went away for a min then came back and told me to phone tech support and explain I had been upgraded and needed a new modem, and they would arange an engineer to come and swap it over.

Only getting about 5Mb thru an SB4100

mick44
09-11-2005, 22:26
dunno if this is the right place to ask but here goes ............ am i entitles to a new modem as i have the one i bought when i first joined ntl broadband i seem to remeber reading somewhere that when the price last went up i would be eligible for a new modem

mick

Watchman
09-11-2005, 23:17
Only getting about 5Mb thru an SB4100

same here

i'll just check it isn't this pc over the next couple of days and get in touch with TS as has been suggested to you

mmm
09-11-2005, 23:52

"It might just be a dodgy power connector - the lights keep going out and I lose net connection. Fiddle with the wires and it works as it is now, but if you sit and watch it for hours it will go again..."

Paul
10-11-2005, 03:30
If you look in the post your speed/modem thread, the pattern is very clear. The Ambit 100/120 modems are doing 5M, the 200/250 modems are doing the full 10M. The SB3100 and SB4100 are also doing less than 10M.

Horace
10-11-2005, 09:54
According to that thread :
10 out of 11 NTL:200/250 modems are doing the full 10mb
0 out of 26 NTL:100 or 120 modems and surfboards are doing the full 10mb(almost all around 5mb regardless of area)
3coms seem to be hitting 10mb fine.

Think this is firmware or hardware related? Can't believe NTL would supply a newer modem (100/120) which seems to be less capable than the older 3com modems.

Ben
10-11-2005, 10:18
Think this is firmware or hardware related? Can't believe NTL would supply a newer modem (100/120) which seems to be less capable than the older 3com modems.

It's a good point :)

Kevin
10-11-2005, 10:29
Right I had a Ambit 120 engineer has just left he swapped for a ntl 250 now running at 10mb the 120 was giving me 5mb he phoned swansea and said "all i have done is swap the modems over" followed by "oh F**K we are gonna have to replace the 120's i need a bigger van" hehehe he watched downloads go from around 577k on the ambit 120 to 1.08mb consistant on the 250

simbr
10-11-2005, 10:38
Technical Support have also assured me that the Terayon can definitely cope with the increased speeds.
The engineer who replaced my dead Terayon said the reason it died was because it couldn't take 10mb.. but since we haven't even had 10mb tested in this area I wasn't so sure, especially since the problems only started when the guy who came to look at our STB removed the attenuator.

Paul
10-11-2005, 11:18
Think this is firmware or hardware related? Can't believe NTL would supply a newer modem (100/120) which seems to be less capable than the older 3com modems.Ambit supply the modems, ntl just badge them. It is (apparently) firmware related, and ntl are (apparently) looking at fixing it, or failing that, swapping them (or so the rumour goes ;)).

herbert clinker
10-11-2005, 11:43
can't some kind person do a survey on this site,with a list of common modems and then a person could click on it if they are getting the full 10 mb.
that way it would be easy to see which modems are getting the full 10mb and which aren't.
i'd do it myself but being computer illiterate i don't know how to.

Ben
10-11-2005, 11:47
can't some kind person do a survey on this site,with a list of common modems and then a person could click on it if they are getting the full 10 mb.
that way it would be easy to see which modems are getting the full 10mb and which aren't.
i'd do it myself but being computer illiterate i don't know how to.

Use this (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=37935) thread to post your speeds/modem etc..

Ian-Highlander
10-11-2005, 13:05
The SB4100 according to Motorola's own specifications sheet here http://broadband.motorola.com/modem/SB4100.pdf is capable of upto 38mbps down and 10mbps up so should be able to easily cope with whatever NTL throw at it. I personally believe that there is a configuration issue at the moment that as yet they havent ironed out. But personally I'm happy with the 5.5mb I'm getting and will sit back and wait to see if it improves over the next month before getting my knickers in a twist over it. ;)

malcb
10-11-2005, 13:10
i upgraded to 10mg yesterday and was using ntlhome100 modem and was only getting 5mb speed. Just had it swapped for a ntlhome 250 modem and now i am getting full 10mb, so it is the modems that are the problem

Gazzzz
10-11-2005, 13:20
i upgraded to 10mg yesterday and was using ntlhome100 modem and was only getting 5mb speed. Just had it swapped for a ntlhome 250 modem and now i am getting full 10mb, so it is the modems that are the problem
How did you get it swapped? Did you just ask or did the other one break? ;)

Can NTL users use their own cable modems? If so, how much and where from? :)

Kevin
10-11-2005, 13:22
I did the same swapped an ambit 120 for a ntl 250 and i now get full 10mb its the modems or the firmware on the modems.

malcb
10-11-2005, 13:25
phoned them at 8.30 this morning and told them the modem keeps switching its self off, make sure you switch it off before you ring them. they done a couple of tests then said someone would be here before midday. 11am and bloke came and just swapped modem, WoooooHooooo super fast now

Watchman
10-11-2005, 13:25
The SB4100 according to Motorola's own specifications sheet here http://broadband.motorola.com/modem/SB4100.pdf is capable of upto 38mbps down and 10mbps up so should be able to easily cope with whatever NTL throw at it. I personally believe that there is a configuration issue at the moment that as yet they havent ironed out. But personally I'm happy with the 5.5mb I'm getting and will sit back and wait to see if it improves over the next month before getting my knickers in a twist over it. ;)

that's why i'm going to try another pc etc and the way life is with me at the moment, it'll take a couple of weeks to get round to this

i'm in Bishop's Stortford btw, in case anybody else has issues in the area using different modems

herbert clinker
10-11-2005, 13:27
just been on to tech suppoert through broadband medic and was told the terayon tj 210 can do upto 38 megs if needed,the reason i can't get 10 megs is because the network has not been fully upgraded yet.
and no i can't swap my terayon for a ntl 250 modem.
well all i can say is you wait til 2006 ntl if i aint getting nearer 10 megs you aint getting my money anymore approx 120 pound per month (bb tv phone).

quadplay
10-11-2005, 13:57
The following are capable of 10Mb now:
ntl 250 (blue Ambit manufactured modem)
ntl 200 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)

The following could be capable of 10Mb, but require a firmware upgrade:
ntl:home 120 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)

The following are not capable of 10Mb:
ntl:home 100 (silver Ambit manufactured modem)
Terayon Terajet 210
Motorola Surfboard 3100/4100
3com Tailfin
3com CMX
All Pace STBs

Testing has not completed on the Samsung STBs, however current results suggest around 8-9Mb may be possible. Higher speeds may be achieved with an upgrade to the uBR - but this has yet to be confirmed.

PLEASE do not call Customer Services/Faults/Technical Support requesting an upgrade for your Cable Modem. Technical Support cannot change your speed, and have been told not to send engineers for customers who are not receiving the full 10Mb downstream speed unless there are other factors involved.

If your modem requires an upgrade to receive the 10Mb service, ntl will contact you to advise you what to do.

swapshop1
10-11-2005, 14:00
The terayon only has a 10MB/s network port; it may however cope with the connection but the actual through put will be much less.

herbert clinker
10-11-2005, 14:13
other than throwing water over the modem i've now got.how do i get a new modem capable of 10mb out of ntl then.
if they say the terayon can do it and we say it can't.

quadplay
10-11-2005, 14:17
An upgrade path will be announced when it is ready. Customers who are found to have intentionally damaged their modems will be charged for a replacement.

mmm
10-11-2005, 14:42
if they say the terayon can do it and we say it can't.

It apparently can do 7-8Mbps, as long as this is faster than the slowest point in your net connection you will not notice any improvement by upgrading.

I say do nothing just wait, there could be many other reasons you do not get full rate - such as half a dozen other people on your uBR who are maximing out up and downstream with file sharing!

and next year the ntl 350 may be capable of 20Mb/s...

We also need to hear about how ntl are going to give customers access to how much they have downloaded and how the caps are going to be enforced. I guess someone has already calculate how many hours it will take to download a months usage quota?

PowerUser
10-11-2005, 14:54
I've seen a NTL 250 Blue for sale, Can people sell This equipment legally!., just wondered if it was ok and decided to buy it, Would I be able to swap it straight over for my current CM or do I have to Get it activated somehow ??.

Thanks

quadplay
10-11-2005, 14:56
No. The Cable Modems are property of ntl. You will not be able to get a modem you have bought swapped onto your account.

PowerUser
10-11-2005, 14:58
No. The Cable Modems are property of ntl. You will not be able to get a modem you have bought swapped onto your account.

Thanks for your swift reply m8. ;). I'm learning all the time.

Hom3r
10-11-2005, 15:04
Again theres conflicting information here about thr Terayon

people are saying that it can handle upto 38Mb it can only handle 7-8Mb

So if it cannot give me 10Mb will NTL give me a replacement as there will be a time when I'm paying £38 for less than 10Mb, and somebody will be paying £17 for 10Mb (although have a lower cap) which is NOT fair to me or others in my situation.

herbert clinker
10-11-2005, 15:17
Again theres conflicting information here about thr Terayon

people are saying that it can handle upto 38Mb it can only handle 7-8Mb

So if it cannot give me 10Mb will NTL give me a replacement as there will be a time when I'm paying £38 for less than 10Mb, and somebody will be paying £17 for 10Mb (although have a lower cap) which is NOT fair to me or others in my situation.

just tried them david i have a terayon.ntl won't replace the terayon modem because they say it is quite capable of doing ten megs.
i was told to ring back at the end of january 2006 the 10 meg speed should be rolled out nationwide by then and if my modem won't do 10megs then they will look at replacing it for me.

Hom3r
10-11-2005, 15:30
I bought my Terayon back in the days of 512Kb, Hopefully the speed will go up, but as you say I'll hold fire until Jan 2006.

BTW what area are you in, I'm in Harlow CM20 which is Cambridge (Langley)

foxtrot_yankee
10-11-2005, 15:32
I can see a lot of Terayon's breaking soon, including mine. ;)

herbert clinker
10-11-2005, 15:32
I bought my Terayon back in the days of 512Kb, Hopefully the speed will go up, but as you say I'll hold fire until Jan 2006.

BTW what area are you in, I'm in Harlow CM20 which is Cambridge (Langley)
im in lincolnshire using the nottingham router

swapshop1
10-11-2005, 15:48
everyones so impatient - atleast you have some kind of upgrade! But i do sympathise that some will get full rate while you may not, but when the time comes - Ntl will sort us all out. Resources will be stretched a bit thin while this is rolled out.

Just don't break perfectly good equipment just to get the latest and greatest. - Btw I've got an Ntl100 box on 2Mb am happy with the speed, just want un-metered.

potz
10-11-2005, 16:44
I use the Samsung STB what speed can these go to ?

phoned cs up they said it wont cope over 3 meg so wait for the December launce of 10 meg and i should be able to get a cable modem then. (as if)

i asked if i could get a cable modem now she said nope (only new customers) i only been with ntl 5 yrs \/ :Yikes:

think i waited best part of 6 months for this silver Samsung STB, they should have just give me a cable modem then for sure :confused: :td: :mad: :Yikes:

i also asked if i could buy my own box she siad nope! :confused: :td: :mad: :Yikes:

quadplay
10-11-2005, 16:54
I use the Samsung STB what speed can these go to ?
The speed achievable by the Samsung STB is still being tested. The 10Mb tier has not been released for STBs until testing is complete.

bjorkiii
10-11-2005, 16:56
just been told by ntl that this website is not a reputable website and that the ntl200 modem is not able to handle 10meg?

Kevin
10-11-2005, 17:10
Yeah :disturbd: :disturbd:

byron_hinson
10-11-2005, 17:12
If you look in the post your speed/modem thread, the pattern is very clear. The Ambit 100/120 modems are doing 5M, the 200/250 modems are doing the full 10M. The SB3100 and SB4100 are also doing less than 10M.

My NTL Home 200 modem is only doing between 5/6 MB...not the full 10MB here in Cambridge (CB4)

just been told by ntl that this website is not a reputable website and that the ntl200 modem is not able to handle 10meg?

Sounds right (about it not being able to handle it) as I can't get the 10mb, more 6mb

dilli-theclaw
10-11-2005, 17:14
just been told by ntl that this website is not a reputable website and that the ntl200 modem is not able to handle 10meg?Well then they're wrong.....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=9722

Ramrod
10-11-2005, 17:15
just been told by ntl that this website is not a reputable website In that case they must be members themselves :D

dilli-theclaw
10-11-2005, 17:18
In that case they must be members themselves :DIt's only CERTAIN members on here that bring the site down ;):):D

byron_hinson
10-11-2005, 17:24
Well then they're wrong.....

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/attachment.php?attachmentid=9722

Looks like some of them can and some can't then...mine is doing 5mb on the NTL 200, unless its an area based problem.

dilli-theclaw
10-11-2005, 17:26
Looks like some of them can and some can't then...mine is doing 5mb on the NTL 200, unless its an area based problem.Well I know about 5 people with an ntl:200 on 10mb working at full speed (all within 10miles of Sandy where I live). So it might well be an area problem as you say.

byron_hinson
10-11-2005, 17:27
Well I know about 5 people with an ntl:200 on 10mb woring at full speed (all within 10miles of Sandy where I live). So it might well be an area problem as you say.

Just to check - but could you go to http://192.168.100.1/ and tell me what hardware version/software etc of the 200 modem you have?

dilli-theclaw
10-11-2005, 17:29
Just to check - but could you go to http://192.168.100.1/ and tell me what hardware version/software etc of the 200 modem you have?

Here you go....

Software version : 2.67.1015 Hardware version : 1.15

byron_hinson
10-11-2005, 17:32
Here you go....

Software version : 2.67.1015 Hardware version : 1.15

Same as me then, i guess Cambridge just hasn't been fully upgraded yet.

etccarmageddon
10-11-2005, 17:57
just been told by ntl that this website is not a reputable website and that the ntl200 modem is not able to handle 10meg?it must be reputable - as they themselves have shown a keen interest recently in working with this site and have staff members contributing.

SnoopZ
10-11-2005, 19:24
dunno if this is the right place to ask but here goes ............ am i entitles to a new modem as i have the one i bought when i first joined ntl broadband i seem to remeber reading somewhere that when the price last went up i would be eligible for a new modem

mick

I was in the same situation so I called TS and told them that i've spilt coffee on mine and the PCB was fried and needed an engineer to come out and install a new one.

If you own the modem then just stop using it and Ntl will have to kit you out with a modem or lose you as a customer.

I've got an engineer booked for monday. Just hoping they install a NTL 250 modem.

zing_deleted
10-11-2005, 19:36
I was in the same situation so I called TS and told them that i've spilt coffee on mine and the PCB was fried and needed an engineer to come out and install a new one.

If you own the modem then just stop using it and Ntl will have to kit you out with a modem or lose you as a customer.

I've got an engineer booked for monday. Just hoping they install a NTL 250 modem.

forwards IP address to ntls fraud department ;) jk

Chrysalis
10-11-2005, 20:04
An upgrade path will be announced when it is ready. Customers who are found to have intentionally damaged their modems will be charged for a replacement.

No offense but shouldnt ntl have picked up on this issue before they allowed customers to upgrade? Or are you going to say there wasnt a single tester using an ambit 100/120 model?

Also when ntl had to upgrade STB on the last speed upgrade how long did it take roughly to get the equipment sent out?

mcmanic
10-11-2005, 20:12
i bet there is a firmware upgrade before year end, if not then there is going to be alot of NTL customers paying for something that they haven't actually got.

Maybe this is NTL's new way of managing their network, give you a free speed upgrade and then blame the network for your slower than 10meg BB when infact its the modem, i wouldn't put it past them

SnoopZ
10-11-2005, 21:25
Are the NTL:250 modems the only SACM Ntl install currently ? Or do they still install the 120/200 etc.

MadMatteh
11-11-2005, 14:49
Hi

I'm new to the forums! :waving:

A point about the sb4100. I have a 100mbit LAN card on my motherboard, connected to my SB4100. It registers as connected at
100mbit/s, so maybe it's just peoples cards/routers that are the problem with this modem?. See image

Regards

gc7
11-11-2005, 16:27
Hello Everyone,

New to the forum but will let you know what I have been told by ntl Customer Services.

I had my broadband upgraded from 3MB to 10MB on Wednesday. I am currently only getting 5MB Down but full speed Up. I am using a ntl:120 modem.

As I am moving house next week, but still staying in same area, I asked about having a new ntl:250 modem installed when the engineer comes to connect my service at the new house, as I am not getting the full 10MB Down. The Customer Service Rep said that everyone with a ntl:120 modem will be getting a new ntl:250 modem as they are not releasing any firmware updates. These new modems will be released in batches but Cust Servs were unable to say when they would start delivering the new modems, but did say it would be this year if you are currently on the 3MB service.

Hope this all makes some sense to some people.

zing_deleted
11-11-2005, 16:32
Hi

I'm new to the forums! :waving:

A point about the sb4100. I have a 100mbit LAN card on my motherboard, connected to my SB4100. It registers as connected at
100mbit/s, so maybe it's just peoples cards/routers that are the problem with this modem?. See image

Regards

mines the same but Im getting 5.5 meg it may not be the modem but configuration which NTL will sort :)

MadMatteh
11-11-2005, 16:36
mines the same but Im getting 5.5 meg it may not be the modem but configuration which NTL will sort :)

here's hoping :)

nate
11-11-2005, 16:39
Word around the forum is that the 120 modems can't handle the full 10meg.

Some have called ntl and had it swapped out with a 250 and that has sorted it..

Paul
11-11-2005, 19:18
No offense but shouldnt ntl have picked up on this issue before they allowed customers to upgrade? Or are you going to say there wasnt a single tester using an ambit 100/120 model?
or maybe they decided to press on with the upgrades anyway since people would still be getting faster speeds, and they can upgrade/swap modems as necessary. Remember that only the existing 3M customers are due to be upgraded this year, that's less than 10% of BB customers.

kronas
11-11-2005, 20:32
can you change the ethernet port duplex setting on a ambit 250 ?

Chrysalis
11-11-2005, 21:42
or maybe they decided to press on with the upgrades anyway since people would still be getting faster speeds, and they can upgrade/swap modems as necessary. Remember that only the existing 3M customers are due to be upgraded this year, that's less than 10% of BB customers.

True but the CS rep obviously didnt think that when he downgraded me again, this whole experience has left a bitter taste in my mouth especially as I am now reading dozens of people did the same as me and got a new modem as a result.

Are you still going to just wait or have you got a new modem on the way as well?

Paul
11-11-2005, 22:29
Are you still going to just wait or have you got a new modem on the way as well?Of course I will be asking for my modem to be upgraded, just as anyone else would.

Did you speak to retentions as I advised you to.

Chrysalis
11-11-2005, 22:41
I already said I spoke them if you missed it sorry, they the ones who tried to reupgrade me after I got downgraded but the system wouldnt let them do it.

Or did you mean ring them again and ask for the modem so I have it ready for when I can upgrade again?

buba3d
12-11-2005, 14:47
I know a certain person who uncapped his sb3100 motarola modem to 10mb when he was still on 1mb *cough cough* anyways it can handle it, and i've also been told by a cs that it can hadle it.

Enuff
12-11-2005, 15:30
I just found this on another good forum... posted by an NTL EMPLOYEE (Senior Tech support)

Ok I have tried to read most of the topics on this but there are a few and looks like a lot of you guys are getting conflicting or "my mate down the pub told me" information

Ok here goes
All modems can support 10meg speed including motorola and teryons
The Sam stb can also get the 10meg speed just no config file has been created yet
The PACE can not support it and will need to be swapped to a modem
The speed is an "up to 10meg" you may not get it but you will still get at least 3meg
This is currently a trial and not all areas can fully support 10 meg hence the up to bit
All 3 meg customer will be upgraded by the end of the year 1meg and 2meg to follow but no date yetHope this helps to answer some of the question anymore just post them and i'll answer what I canSorry if this may have been already posted elsewhere on this forum. :o:

herbert clinker
12-11-2005, 15:53
sorry but i beg to differ on the terayons. i had a terayon tj210 approx 5meg downloads. got it swapped for a ntl 250 now i get nearer 10 meg downloads. 1.16MB/SEC

BeckyD
12-11-2005, 16:13
sorry but i beg to differ on the terayons. i had a terayon tj210 approx 5meg downloads. got it swapped for a ntl 250 now i get nearer 10 meg downloads. 1.16MB/SEC

I have the TJ210 and I get about 8Mbit connection speed. I think it has more to do with available capacity locally, or perhaps a faulty modem in your case. As I've said before, no one will really know how much their modem can handle until the service is fully enabled and all exchanges are running at full speed.

Paul
12-11-2005, 16:19
Frankly, that ntl employee is just wrong. A number of ntl modems are unable to do the full speed.

mmm
12-11-2005, 17:23
Frankly, that ntl employee is just wrong. A number of ntl modems are unable to do the full speed.

Not wrong just answering a different question. The modems don't keel over and die, they just gracefully limit the maximum to something greater than the current maximum 3Mb and achieve something "up to 10Mb".

In normal use the user is not going to notice much difference between 5 and 10Mbps maximum speed- its even hard finding a speedtest site capable of generating enough bandwidth! In most cases the modem won't be the slowest link in the chain.

And if you intend to fileshare at 10Mbps continuously - how many hours/days before you exceed the 75gig limit?

Mauldor
12-11-2005, 18:24
The SB 4100 has a 10/100mbit port. If I connect it to my Router only the 10mbit comes on, this makes sense as the router only has a 10mbit port fitted to it. Now if I connect direct to my PC, the 10 & 100mbit light comes on which means it operating (in theory) at the full speed.

Now the problem i have is that on 2mbit I got a pretty constant speed on downloads and now that i have "gone on this trail" it can vary from 1mbit to 8mbit depending on what speed test I do and at what time. Downloading files from UK Server with 1000mbit links is very erractic indeed and can get as low as 36kB/sec where as before i upgraded it was always constant at about 200+ no problems.

After a long chat with TS, my theory is that a few factors are coming into play, everyone who is getting the 10mbit is downloading and thus flooding the network - this been to test out there new speed. The other thing is they may well be working on the back end (as TS said) and this also could account for the problems.

My plan is bascially sit tight for say 1 month (mid Dec) and see what happens in regards the speeds of my SB4100, if it sticks at 4mbit then they said they will replace the modem with a NTL250 Model..

EDIT - Just did various other Speed tests and my theory is correct I think, I am getting Speeds ranging from 1mbit to 8mbit so this would say the SB4100 can handle the 10mbit no problems...

Chrysalis
12-11-2005, 20:34
Not wrong just answering a different question. The modems don't keel over and die, they just gracefully limit the maximum to something greater than the current maximum 3Mb and achieve something "up to 10Mb".

In normal use the user is not going to notice much difference between 5 and 10Mbps maximum speed- its even hard finding a speedtest site capable of generating enough bandwidth! In most cases the modem won't be the slowest link in the chain.

And if you intend to fileshare at 10Mbps continuously - how many hours/days before you exceed the 75gig limit?

Paul is right, in that case they not getting upto 10mbps they getting upto "what the modem can handle" and in some cases people are getting drops as a result of pushing the modem to its limit for long periods.

phillfyspoon
13-11-2005, 03:39
BIG NEWS!!! (FOR ME LOL) In hampshire got upgraded to 10mb from 3mb on a Ambit 120 I got about 3-4mb max Dispointed but now im getting about 6mbso it is getting better

SnoopZ
14-11-2005, 21:52
Modem swapped for an NTL:250 all ok now.

simondavo
14-11-2005, 22:20
I have a 120 modem and was upgraded to 10mb on Friday but am only getting a reading of c. 4mb. Here are the details from my configuration ....
It clearly shows 10mb ?

Operation Configuration
Network Access : EnabledMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bpsMaximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bpsMaximum Number of CPEs : 1Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0001.cprSoftware Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgradeSoftware Upgrade OperStatus : failed

SnoopZ
14-11-2005, 22:31
I have a 120 modem and was upgraded to 10mb on Friday but am only getting a reading of c. 4mb. Here are the details from my configuration ....
It clearly shows 10mb ?

Operation Configuration
Network Access : EnabledMaximum Downstream Data Rate : 10240000 bpsMaximum Upstream Data Rate : 512000 bpsMaximum Number of CPEs : 1Software Upgrade File Name : ntlhm120_ntl0001.cprSoftware Upgrade AdminStatus : allowProvisioningUpgradeSoftware Upgrade OperStatus : failed

Your modem should be able to do 10Mbit however it'll need a firmware upgrade from what i've read on this forum which isn't available yet.

bugheadcjd
15-11-2005, 11:41
I have just upgraded to 10Mbit and I have a Ambit NTL Home 100 Modem.
The service I upgraded to did say 'Upto 10Mb'. I presume I will also need a firmware upgrade?
Is the upgrade something they can do automatically, or will they have to send us a disk?

Halcyon
15-11-2005, 14:02
The thread is too long to read everything so I'l just jump in here if I may...
I've been with NTL a while and have the NTL home silver 100 modem.

I'm guessing that will need replacing. Can anyone confirm that ?

NEONKNIGHT
15-11-2005, 14:24
The thread is too long to read everything so I'l just jump in here if I may...
I've been with NTL a while and have the NTL home silver 100 modem.

I'm guessing that will need replacing. Can anyone confirm that ?

See here:- http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=38076

;)

tugmaster666
03-12-2005, 18:12
Hi there.

I currently use a surfboard SB3100 cable modem, I had this when I first became an NTL customer about 5 years ago when the very first 512kbps broadband service was released. I have been on the 3meg service since it started and was pleased to hear that 10meg would soon be available. I thought I would re-boot my modem and see what speeds I was going to get in the hope that my area had been upgraded. My max download rate from Microsoftâ₠¬â„¢s servers early in the mooring (when not many people are on the net) was maxing out at around 670kbps. I done a speed test and it was about the same, my upload was around 55kbps. I was a bit worried about this and thought that my modem was at fault. I have been looking for some firmware updates but none are available to date. It does appear that my modem will NOT support the full 10meg speed.
A friend of mine has just sold his house and is changing to a BT line, he has given me his old Motorola SB5100i cable modem. I was wondering if I could use this instead of my SB3100 and if NTL would register the new modem? If not I will have to ring up CS and ask if they will do an upgrade modem for me.
The last time I rang CS I was put through to this guy who told me the SB 3100 would take the 10meg speed, he obviously does not really know the facts.
Any advice would be much appreciated on this one guys.
Steve

SnoopZ
03-12-2005, 19:59
Hi there.

I currently use a surfboard SB3100 cable modem, I had this when I first became an NTL customer about 5 years ago when the very first 512kbps broadband service was released. I have been on the 3meg service since it started and was pleased to hear that 10meg would soon be available. I thought I would re-boot my modem and see what speeds I was going to get in the hope that my area had been upgraded. My max download rate from Microsoft’s servers early in the mooring (when not many people are on the net) was maxing out at around 670kbps. I done a speed test and it was about the same, my upload was around 55kbps. I was a bit worried about this and thought that my modem was at fault. I have been looking for some firmware updates but none are available to date. It does appear that my modem will NOT support the full 10meg speed.
A friend of mine has just sold his house and is changing to a BT line, he has given me his old Motorola SB5100i cable modem. I was wondering if I could use this instead of my SB3100 and if NTL would register the new modem? If not I will have to ring up CS and ask if they will do an upgrade modem for me.
The last time I rang CS I was put through to this guy who told me the SB 3100 would take the 10meg speed, he obviously does not really know the facts.
Any advice would be much appreciated on this one guys.
Steve

No you can't use the SB5100i. Your best bet is to try and get them to replace the SB3100. Not sure what the best method of doing that is. You could always threaten to leave unless they supply you with a modem thats capable of getting 10mbit. I could only get 5-6mbit on my SB3100 until i got it changed.

If your not successful on your first call to TS keep trying and don't give up.

Good luck! :)

Widescreen
05-12-2005, 12:38
I'm On a NTL Home 120 Modem supplied by NTL.

If i bought a NTL 250 Modem of EBay and installed it to replace the 120 would it be that straight forward?

Hell...am i even allowed to remove NTL's modem?

Any help would be appreciated.

I can get a 250 modem for 15 instead of paying NTL 50 to come out

Hom3r
05-12-2005, 12:52
I'm On a NTL Home 120 Modem supplied by NTL.

If i bought a NTL 250 Modem of EBay and installed it to replace the 120 would it be that straight forward?

Hell...am i even allowed to remove NTL's modem?

Any help would be appreciated.

I can get a 250 modem for 15 instead of paying NTL 50 to come out

Don't bother NTL will NOT connect to there network, or allow it to be connected

Widescreen
05-12-2005, 15:39
Even if it's a new modem and not been used before?

Paul
05-12-2005, 16:20
Even if it's a new modem and not been used before?Nope, not under any circumstances.

In fact - if it's brand new then I would question it's legality.

idi banashapan
05-12-2005, 17:33
See here:- http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=38076

;)

now you see... I have an NTL:100 (silver jobbie) and I get download speeds of 1.16Mbps consistently, which, as far as I am led to believe, would be in line with a 10Mb line.... any comments to correct me...???

Doofy
05-12-2005, 18:07
The SB 4100 has a 10/100mbit port. If I connect it to my Router only the 10mbit comes on, this makes sense as the router only has a 10mbit port fitted to it. Now if I connect direct to my PC, the 10 & 100mbit light comes on which means it operating (in theory) at the full speed.

Now the problem i have is that on 2mbit I got a pretty constant speed on downloads and now that i have "gone on this trail" it can vary from 1mbit to 8mbit depending on what speed test I do and at what time. Downloading files from UK Server with 1000mbit links is very erractic indeed and can get as low as 36kB/sec where as before i upgraded it was always constant at about 200+ no problems.

After a long chat with TS, my theory is that a few factors are coming into play, everyone who is getting the 10mbit is downloading and thus flooding the network - this been to test out there new speed. The other thing is they may well be working on the back end (as TS said) and this also could account for the problems.

My plan is bascially sit tight for say 1 month (mid Dec) and see what happens in regards the speeds of my SB4100, if it sticks at 4mbit then they said they will replace the modem with a NTL250 Model..

EDIT - Just did various other Speed tests and my theory is correct I think, I am getting Speeds ranging from 1mbit to 8mbit so this would say the SB4100 can handle the 10mbit no problems...

I have the same modem and a linksys bfr router and it does 10mb no problems 9.8 in the newsgroups most of the time anyway.

Killerv
05-12-2005, 18:37
Rang ntl up today and ask them if i have been upgraded and they said yes to 10mbit
im using the silver modem ntl200
Download speeds are still 3mbit around 350-360kb/s

So am i the only one with a ntl200 thats not working or is there a fault

Ashman
05-12-2005, 21:12
Killerv, i am using the same modem via ethernet and rang up a few weeks ago to get upgraded to 10mbit.

Atm the speeds i am getting during the day are around 3.5mbps and right now(ringing cs right now) am getting a paltry 1.5mbps down!! and as the auto upgrades are being rolled out i would have thought i would be getting much higher speeds as im not even getting the 3mbps down i was before the upgrade!!

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:52 ----------

Ahh just spoke to cs and then ts(even though the ts guy was abit abrupt and sounded fed up to be there..) he said that adsl speed tests are inacurrate and should try to download say a large game or patch file and see what speeds i get then.

The download speeds i got the where at first 1.16mb/sec(10bmps) to 792kb/sec(7.5-8bmps.) so i am getting the correct download speeds so ive learnt that those kind of speed tests above are inacurrate..:-).