PDA

View Full Version : Telewest/Blueyonder Speed Upgrades- Have you been upgraded yet???

N3m3sis
08-11-2005, 15:49
There seems to be a lot of confusion as to where and when these speed upgrades are occuring. Network/UBR maintenance work is being shown as completed in many areas and whilst some have said that they have now got the speed increase, others have seen the hardware upgrades done but as yet no speed increase. There seems to be very little maintenance scheduled on the blueyonder maintenance page and the evenfaster webpage has not been updated for sometime. It would be helpful for others that are waiting for their speed increase to know how long after completion of the network/ubr upgrades, were the increased speeds switched on? How long after the 1mb to 4mb increase did the 10mb increase become available for users in the same areas?. This information would be of great service to all those still waiting for their upgrade and would stop the constant speculation as to timeframes for implementation of the actual speed increase so if you have any of the above info please post it in this thread, and keep the thread clean of speculation and other issues.

I live in North London and all the ubr's and network upgrades in Camden, Dalston, Enfield, and Haringey were completed with the work to the Haringey ubr's on 04/11/2005. I have seen 2 separate posts elswhere today stating that the 1 - 4mb speed upgrade has been implemented.
1 - 4mb in Wood Green
1 - 4mb in Enfield
Duration from completion of the ubr upgrades: 4 days.

Nez
08-11-2005, 17:18
Seems like Telewest are all over the show.I live in Yardley, Birmingham,and my 1mg download should have been increased to 4mg yesterday.However,after talking to a friend whose having the same upgrade,he called customer services and was told although the upgrade was complete,the switch-on for his area has'nt happened yet.He lives in the north west of the city,in Great Barr,and myself in the south east.A distance of about eight miles.It seems that a lot of people I have spoken to are also getting fluctuating speeds on their downloads.Mine is sometimes 1220kbps,whilst other times it's 860 kbps.Obviously Telewest are fine tuning the system,but when it will be complete is anyone's guess.I will tell you however,when I get upgraded,if that will help.

Andrewcrawford23
08-11-2005, 17:49
There seems to be a lot of confusion as to where and when these speed upgrades are occuring. Network/UBR maintenance work is being shown as completed in many areas and whilst some have said that they have now got the speed increase, others have seen the hardware upgrades done but as yet no speed increase. There seems to be very little maintenance scheduled on the blueyonder maintenance page and the evenfaster webpage has not been updated for sometime. It would be helpful for others that are waiting for their speed increase to know how long after completion of the network/ubr upgrades, were the increased speeds switched on? How long after the 1mb to 4mb increase did the 10mb increase become available for users in the same areas?. This information would be of great service to all those still waiting for their upgrade and would stop the constant speculation as to timeframes for implementation of the actual speed increase so if you have any of the above info please post it in this thread, and keep the thread clean of speculation and other issues.

I live in North London and all the ubr's and network upgrades in Camden, Dalston, Enfield, and Haringey were completed with the work to the Haringey ubr's on 04/11/2005. I have seen 2 separate posts elswhere today stating that the 1 - 4mb speed upgrade has been implemented.
1 - 4mb in Wood Green
1 - 4mb in Enfield
Duration from completion of the ubr upgrades: 4 days.

where i live the ubr where upgraded after the speed upgrade if that any help

N3m3sis
09-11-2005, 02:50
Proof of the pudding! :D

Daffy Duck
09-11-2005, 15:05
Cheers for that info N3m3sis.... as i live in Tottenham i was wondering when the upgrade would go through but after seeing your post i tested my connection with a driver d/load from ATI.....averaged between 970 and 980KB's so it seems it has already

PS: As i'm new to these forums i'd like to take this opportunity to say hello to everyone

N3m3sis
09-11-2005, 15:18
My Stong advice to all those that have been upgraded to 10Mb/s and are getting nowhere near that speed is to experiment with your upstream channel.
Start with Channel 1 and run 3 speedtests (from here: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp) on EACH channel and note the downstream"true" speed value (the one with overheads)

Do the same for each channel and then see which channel is giving you the most consistent higher speed and then set the modem to it. This can be done from the modem control console.
If done during peak time then this will make sure you are getting the maximum possible speed when your node is under heavy use and will give you an even better value at other times.
Then max "true" speed value I have had since they switched it over yesterday is 10131 Kb/s and that was at 8:30 am this morning. At 1:27 am I got 9940 Kb/s

Andrewcrawford23
09-11-2005, 17:40
My Stong advice to all those that have been upgraded to 10Mb/s and are getting nowhere near that speed is to experiment with your upstream channel.
Start with Channel 1 and run 3 speedtests (from here: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp) on EACH channel and note the downstream"true" speed value (the one with overheads)

Do the same for each channel and then see which channel is giving you the most consistent higher speed and then set the modem to it. This can be done from the modem control console.
If done during peak time then this will make sure you are getting the maximum possible speed when your node is under heavy use and will give you an even better value at other times.
Then max "true" speed value I have had since they switched it over yesterday is 10131 Kb/s and that was at 8:30 am this morning. At 1:27 am I got 9940 Kb/s

how do you change the channel? cause i normal get about 2mb from that test although i can get the 1.3mb/s download speed i have also gotten about 2.5mb/s for a short time but i normally average 900kb/s, the uplaod normal is about 40kb/s but agiani have had it go to 300kb/s at one point

N3m3sis
09-11-2005, 18:27
First of all, have you been upgraded to 4mb or 10mb?.

In order to access the modem control console put this url into your browser :
This will take you to your modems control console. Pick configuration from the
left hand side menu and in the main window you will see various configuration values like Frequency and Upstream channel. Change the channel as in the instructions, save the changes and then reboot the modem.

Andrewcrawford23
09-11-2005, 19:35
First of all, have you been upgraded to 4mb or 10mb?.

In order to access the modem control console put this url into your browser :
This will take you to your modems control console. Pick configuration from the
left hand side menu and in the main window you will see various configuration values like Frequency and Upstream channel. Change the channel as in the instructions, save the changes and then reboot the modem.

im on 10mb

i dnt have anything to alothugh me to chanegs setting in that page

does ti makea differenc ei havea webstar modem? also tehr eno configuration page at all but i can see the channel number

downstream 0

upstream 5

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
10-11-2005, 10:20
I called CS yesterday about an intermittent fault (msn logging out at inconvenient times and various hubs on DC just dropping for no reason) which turned out to be a fault in my area (B64 for those who care)... and was told that my account had been upgraded to 10meg but the "switch hadn't been flicked" to activate us yet - nice CS guy confirmed the ubr had been upgraded (even tho there's nothing on the site anyway to say this) and we should all be completed by the end of November... apparently.

I can't edit any of the information in the 192.168.100.1 page - it's view only... which I assume is something to do with my running it thru a router (I have a Webstar DPX100 or something like that) - how do I change the channel in the modem?

Andrewcrawford23
10-11-2005, 10:34
I called CS yesterday about an intermittent fault (msn logging out at inconvenient times and various hubs on DC just dropping for no reason) which turned out to be a fault in my area (B64 for those who care)... and was told that my account had been upgraded to 10meg but the "switch hadn't been flicked" to activate us yet - nice CS guy confirmed the ubr had been upgraded (even tho there's nothing on the site anyway to say this) and we should all be completed by the end of November... apparently.

I can't edit any of the information in the 192.168.100.1 page - it's view only... which I assume is something to do with my running it thru a router (I have a Webstar DPX100 or something like that) - how do I change the channel in the modem?

thats the same modem i have and i get view only and i connect direct to the modem, i would to love to know how ot chaneg the channel i be very happy

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
10-11-2005, 10:52
I had some Motorola before - couple of years ago I think - but they swapped it when I had connection issues... and that had accessible settings which could be altered.

Apparently the ones we have are some of the oldest TW currently provide but there are no plans to replace them on a wide scale and I was assured by CS that they are more than adequate for the new speeds.

jpxdude
11-11-2005, 11:51
Hi,

I live in Edmonton, and the max speed i'm getting is only 3mb :( I was on a 2mb line, and noticed the speed jump to 3 yesterday, as the upgrade was completed the day before (I think)

The cable modem I'm using is a motorola SB4100 I think, and it is attached to a Belkin wireless router, but I'm wired to it. Is there anyone that may know why I'm not getting the full 10mb speed?

Thanks for any help offered! :)

J

Jose Amnesia
11-11-2005, 18:17
South Yorkshire and no signs of being upgraded yet......

Junglizt1210
12-11-2005, 12:43
I live in BS9 and I think we got the upgrade 2 days ago.

I have heard reports from people who live in BS6, BS7, BS16 and BS34 getting theire upgraded before mine.

Yate (BS32) is currently being upgraded afaik, according to the Telewest status page.

Also, since I'm on (or near) 4mb now... would it be wise to call Telewest and ask for 10mb? or should I wait for things to settle, them to fine tune it etc..... just to avoid the hassle. I'm itching to get the 10mb now...

Junglizt1210
13-11-2005, 23:04
just to say the speeds have dropped, occasioanlly they will peak 2mbit speeds... but somes it's like 256k speeds or 512k speeds :O

volatile
14-11-2005, 19:16
I live in Gloucester area, i was upgraded on Friday.

jubbly
16-11-2005, 14:10
How do you know if you have been upgraded? Do you get an email or do you have to call by?

When I go the the logs section of my cable modem there is a software update error happens every time I restart the modem.

Thanks

Junglizt1210
16-11-2005, 14:11
You either notice the download speeds increasing (or decreasing in some of our cases LOL ) or you do a bandwidth test.

News on Bristol:
http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/status/serviceissue.do;jsessionid=8EC3E3E63564280B22E7362 10DA61725.jsps304p:28009?ticket=287478

jubbly
16-11-2005, 15:20
Oh,

My speed has never gone up from my 1.5mb - 2mb free upgrade i can get some downloads at about 250kps, adsl speedtest shows 1200-1500 nowhere near the supposed 2mbps.

I live in stourbridge, west midlands DY8 anyone from that area had the upgrade yet?

N3m3sis
17-11-2005, 00:33
Speed test done by downloading 4 large files from gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk (the BY recommended method) and adding the download values.
Taken and 11.:00pm (see attachment)

Not bad! :D

naraithsil
12-12-2005, 21:27
Theyre neglecting alot of customers at the moment, im scraping 40kB/s downloading at the moment

Nice to know youre all on 1500kB/s *sigh*

Ignition
12-12-2005, 21:57
Speed test done by downloading 4 large files from gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk (the BY recommended method) and adding the download values.

Also completely inaccurate ;)

Those speeds are basically the amount of data downloaded divided by time taken, so I could kick off a 700MB download at 10Mbit, say 1100KB/s and let it run for 350MB then kick off another 700MB download. At completion the first download will quote 775KB/s download speed (1100 / 1.5) while the first will also quote 775KB/s download speed, as both had full 1100KB/s for half their download and 550KB/s for half of it.

That make sense? :)

Only way to test is with either a single download or multiple downloads started at the same time.

Or better yet use something like DUMeter which will show you the throughput on your line at the time.

Still credit to BY it's a cunning way of making people's connections look better than they actually are :D

Stuart
12-12-2005, 22:02

OK. So they *seriously* suggested using both Internet Explorer and Firefox as an accurate indicator of download speed? Both of which, erm, aren't.

Luckyjfl
14-12-2005, 15:13
I live in the Walsall Area, but no signs of upgrade at all yet. I am due to go from 2 MB to 10, but I feel I am really slow now. I am not too sure just how to check the speed. When I go into Network connections, it says my speed is 1.0 MBps. Surely that cannot be right for £35.00. Maybe I am doing it wrong. What do you guys think.
Cheers for now.

shadowsparx
19-04-2006, 03:17
if anyone is still reading this which i think not, you all say uve been upgraded and had problems and stuff in 2005, its now 2006 and now i have high utilisation in my area and asked a friend of mine that works for telewest and he says there still upgrading lines in edmonton for 10mb and i was told by tech support that this was done along time ago. whats the deal?

Luckyjfl
19-04-2006, 11:21
Well, as you can see, it is now Late April. And still no upgrade in my area in Walsall. They did however give me a reduction on my last bill, due to the fact I was not getting what I was paying for. It seems daft for them to advertise 10 MBs for £ 35.00 a month when at present, people who pay that amount, are not getting it so far.

janipewter
20-04-2006, 01:52
I'm upgraded :)

shadowsparx
20-04-2006, 02:01
dammit lol

telecom69
20-04-2006, 08:08
3. How can I tell if I have been upgraded?

As of 11th April 2006 all upgrades have been completed.

If you have not received your confirmation email from b (http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/)lueyonder (http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/) and/or think you are not getting your new speed then you should power off and on (Reboot) your modem this will attempt to download the correct configuration file from the network. If this does not give you your expected speed then check out the rest of this FAQ.

This information was taken from this site http://anniebrion.myby.co.uk/broadband-faq.html#para3 (http://anniebrion.myby.co.uk/broadband-faq.html#para3)

item 3

Also see this page http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...bbs_evenfaster (http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyond...bbs_evenfaster)

So Luckyjfl you should by now have got the upgrade,I got it in Bloxwich over a week ago ......I didnt get any notification either from Blueyonder,try rebooting your modem,maybe for some reason it hasnt downloaded the software ......

Luckyjfl
20-04-2006, 10:32
Cheers for that ifo, Telecom69. I will try it out asap. I must admit though, even when I try using the Blueyonder Maintenance program , it is not able to complete its tasks. Ah well, never mind.

telecom69
20-04-2006, 11:02
Cheers for that ifo, Telecom69. I will try it out asap. I must admit though, even when I try using the Blueyonder Maintenance program , it is not able to complete its tasks. Ah well, never mind.

You dont need to use any program to reboot your modem,just pull out the power plug from the back of it,leave it out for a few seconds then push it back in ...Im not saying that is the reason you dont seem to be getting the new speeds,but it may well be,its not unknown for that to happen,and Blueyonder reccomend you do that anyway ....if that doesnt work you should give them a ring and ask .....

v0id
20-04-2006, 17:30
Yeah I got my upgrade oin Wolves over a week ago too. I JUST received the email telling me so, today

shadowsparx
20-04-2006, 17:47
i think mines been fixed since im downloadin at about 170kb per sec and before it was 50kb so i think its been fixed not sure or upgraded coz erm i dnno lol

Luckyjfl
20-04-2006, 19:25
I got the e-mail today from Blueyonder. They have done the upgrade, to 10 MBs. I also decided to change my modem cable from USB to Ethernet, like was suggested on the Forum. That did the trick in mt Status speed. It changed it from 12.0 to 100. So, I guess, alls well, that ends well. Cheers to all the Guys for their help. It was appreciatted.

ameen
23-04-2006, 08:06
finally we have been upgraded but all i get when download
is 700KB/s thats 7mb/s when using a download manager is
this how it supposed to be :confused:

Luckyjfl
23-04-2006, 15:56
Ameen, here is my speed test today. I am on 10 Mb, bty. I suppose we are getting the right speed.
Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:54:28 UTC

1st 512K took 531 ms = 964.2 KB/sec, approx 7945 Kbps, 7.76 Mbps
2nd 512K took 578 ms = 885.8 KB/sec, approx 7299 Kbps, 7.13 Mbps
3rd 512K took 594 ms = 862 KB/sec, approx 7103 Kbps, 6.94 Mbps
4th 512K took 547 ms = 936 KB/sec, approx 7713 Kbps, 7.53 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 7515 Kbps, 7.34 Mbps

Druchii
23-04-2006, 16:41
Ameen, here is my speed test today. I am on 10 Mb, bty. I suppose we are getting the right speed. Sun, 23 Apr 2006 13:54:28 UTC 1st 512K took 531 ms = 964.2 KB/sec, approx 7945 Kbps, 7.76 Mbps 2nd 512K took 578 ms = 885.8 KB/sec, approx 7299 Kbps, 7.13 Mbps 3rd 512K took 594 ms = 862 KB/sec, approx 7103 Kbps, 6.94 Mbps 4th 512K took 547 ms = 936 KB/sec, approx 7713 Kbps, 7.53 Mbps Overall Average Speed = approx 7515 Kbps, 7.34 Mbps It's porbable that that's correct, but out of intewrest how are you connecting? Wireless or USB ?

utopia470
02-05-2006, 16:01
Oh,

My speed has never gone up from my 1.5mb - 2mb free upgrade i can get some downloads at about 250kps, adsl speedtest shows 1200-1500 nowhere near the supposed 2mbps.

I live in stourbridge, west midlands DY8 anyone from that area had the upgrade yet?

I also live in Stourbridge and was upgraded to 10Mbps on 20 April 2006 according to a BY e-mail :) . The upstream speed is very close to the advertised figure but the downstream performance is pathetic (for a 10Mb service):mad: . The lowest so far is 3.1Mbps and the highest 4.9Mbps. The checks were made at random intervals over several 24 hour periods. Two messages to BY Support have yet to be answered although I won't hold my breath waiting for their (probably standard) reply. You could argue that 3.1Mbps is a vast improvement over dial-up speeds but I pay for, and expect to get, the service advertised.

Druchii
02-05-2006, 23:55
I also live in Stourbridge and was upgraded to 10Mbps on 20 April 2006 according to a BY e-mail :) . The upstream speed is very close to the advertised figure but the downstream performance is pathetic (for a 10Mb service):mad: . The lowest so far is 3.1Mbps and the highest 4.9Mbps. The checks were made at random intervals over several 24 hour periods. Two messages to BY Support have yet to be answered although I won't hold my breath waiting for their (probably standard) reply. You could argue that 3.1Mbps is a vast improvement over dial-up speeds but I pay for, and expect to get, the service advertised. Set top box? or Modem? If modem what model?
Oh, nd they are advertised as "upto 10Mb" not Guaranteed 10Mb"

Luckyjfl
03-05-2006, 00:46
Sorry for not getting g back to you sooner Druchi. My modem connection was USB, but I decided to change it to Ethernet cable. I was told that USB was not so good. I am using a Motorola SB4200 Modem.
After contacting Blueyonder, they say I am getting the correct connection.

Druchii
03-05-2006, 01:55
Sorry for not getting g back to you sooner Druchi. My modem connection was USB, but I decided to change it to Ethernet cable. I was told that USB was not so good. I am using a Motorola SB4200 Modem. After contacting Blueyonder, they say I am getting the correct connection. Yep, USB isn't the best way, Ethernet is :)

Do your speeds seem normal now? or still lower than they should be? If they're still lower its probably just congestion.

utopia470
03-05-2006, 10:47
Thanks for your comments Druchii - my modem is Scientific Atlanta DPX110 connected by ethernet cable - and yes, I realise the figures are 'up to 10Mb' but when I don't get anywhere near that I do doubt the validity of their claim. Also, when BY don't reply to help requests I tend to lose confidence.

Luckyjfl
03-05-2006, 16:11
I just cannot think it is faster at all. Maybe it is my imagination. I tested it twice at different times and here are the results.
Down = 3917 Today
Up = 278.4 Today

Previous. Down = 4371
Previous Up = 354

Druchii
03-05-2006, 16:58
I just cannot think it is faster at all. Maybe it is my imagination. I tested it twice at different times and here are the results. Down = 3917 Today Up = 278.4 Today Previous. Down = 4371 Previous Up = 354 Ouch, to me that looks like a good 4Mb connection, not a 10Mb. I don't know what to sguuest, other than making a thread about it, or contacting them (again)

J.D
03-05-2006, 17:00
Is USB 2.0 any good compared to Ethernet. As long as it could handle 1,260kb/s transfer speeds then it should be fine. I think it can handle 480Mb/s (491,520kb/s) and is it like what our internet speeds are i.e, 10meg line but 1meg download speed. Divide roughly by ten? Even at that it's 48Mb/s Am I right in saying this?

Druchii
03-05-2006, 17:03
In theory USB2 is capable of 60Mbytes/ps. Which is 480mbps.

You have a good point, however am i right in thinking USB is not full duplex?

J.D
03-05-2006, 17:56
I think your right about USB1.1 not being full duplex but I'm not too sure about USB 2.0 and I don't know squat about full duplex, half duplex. Some learning is in need.

I tried to quickly google it while writing this post but could see nothing related to this subject except this http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html
(http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/usb.html)

delmontebanana
15-05-2006, 21:10
Mon, 15 May 2006 19:09:30 UTC

1st 512K took 2172 ms = 235.7 KB/sec, approx 1942 Kbps, 1.9 Mbps
2nd 512K took 2157 ms = 237.4 KB/sec, approx 1956 Kbps, 1.91 Mbps
3rd 512K took 2156 ms = 237.5 KB/sec, approx 1957 Kbps, 1.91 Mbps
4th 512K took 2172 ms = 235.7 KB/sec, approx 1942 Kbps, 1.9 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1949 Kbps, 1.9 Mbps

Goddamnit, where's my other 0.1Mbps gone? :p

Druchii
15-05-2006, 21:22
Goddamnit, where's my other 0.1Mbps gone? :p I borrowed it,... hehehehee...

Very nice test there :)

delmontebanana
16-05-2006, 23:07
Just upgraded to 10Mbps today, they charging me an extra fiver a month for 6months then its gonna be normal price. Took about an hour to upgrade and this is what I get.

1st 512K took 437 ms = 1171.6 KB/sec, approx 9654 Kbps, 9.43 Mbps
2nd 512K took 422 ms = 1213.3 KB/sec, approx 9998 Kbps, 9.76 Mbps
3rd 512K took 453 ms = 1130.2 KB/sec, approx 9313 Kbps, 9.09 Mbps
4th 512K took 438 ms = 1169 KB/sec, approx 9633 Kbps, 9.41 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 9650 Kbps, 9.42 Mbps

Can't complain I guess...

Also got this score from adslguide.org.uk
Speed Test Results
Downstream7,995.6 Kbps( = 7.8 Mbps ) Upstream481.4 Kbps( = 0.5 Mbps )

But I'm using the NTL:Home Internet 120. Should I upgrade to 250? Will there be any difference?

James Henry
16-05-2006, 23:31
Just upgraded to 10Mbps today, they charging me an extra fiver a month for 6months then its gonna be normal price. Took about an hour to upgrade and this is what I get.

Can't complain I guess...

Also got this score from adslguide.org.uk

But I'm using the NTL:Home Internet 120. Should I upgrade to 250? Will there be any difference?
Perhaps the Telewest/Blueyonder section isn't the best one to ask about ntl services, and to answer your question no, your service is spot on.

delmontebanana
17-05-2006, 00:12
oops sorry

eto
13-06-2006, 23:58
hmm .. i live in Camden .. just upgraded from 56k to , erm, 2mb
yesterday
so im not sure if ill se a jump from that
what i do see, on the line, is gazillions of ARPs, lots from one addy
is that connect attemts, it looks like its scanning for a bunch of other addy's
never saw this on 56k
but then i wouldnt, innit

---------- Post added at 22:58 ---------- Previous post was at 22:54 ----------

Your Connection

Speed Test Results
Downstream 1,987.3 Kbps ( = 1.9 Mbps ) Upstream 235.8 Kbps ( = 0.2 Mbps )

shadowsparx
14-06-2006, 00:06
im on 10mb telewest but my upload is rubbish my down speed is like 9.2mb on the speed test but i dont really need that is anyone else around the same speed?

janipewter
14-06-2006, 00:08
The upstream data rate on the 10Mbps product is 384Kbps, which is relatively slow in comparison to the large downstream data rate.

And in reply to the first post by J.D: the connection speed itself is measured in kilobits per second (10240Kbps or 10Mbps), but programs such as Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox and I imagine most other web browsers, P2P applications etc measure the download rate in kilobytes per second (the theoretical maximum for 10Mbit being 1,250KB/s or 1.25MB/s). Since there are 8(eight) bits in a byte, to convert between you two you just divide by or multiply be 8 respectively.

shadowsparx
14-06-2006, 00:19
360kb up thats crap.anyone no how i can do a speed test without going through a pc so i can gt a true speed

janipewter
14-06-2006, 00:23
What do you mean 'doing a speedtest without going through a computer'?

shadowsparx
14-06-2006, 00:26
just a straight connection to something else because with pc there are things like spyware and files that slow u down when u doa speed test on ur explorer so i was thinkin if theres a way to speed test from modem to something direct for a more accurate speed

janipewter
14-06-2006, 00:29
No.

shadowsparx
14-06-2006, 00:31
your great

Diadem
14-06-2006, 18:07
all telewest modems are usb 1.1 at my last check so if you have the 10mb service dont use usb.

the max usb 1.1 has is 10mb and theres some over head on that so best you get is like 6mb on it. so use ethernet if you dont have the cable call up technical suport and request money credited to your account to buy one ;)

janipewter
14-06-2006, 21:01
Actually, USB 1.1 tops at 12 Megabits per second. As far as I know though, it's not full duplex. It WILL suffice even for 10Mbit Internet, but may not be as effective as using the Fast Ethernet connection.

shadowsparx
14-06-2006, 23:38
im not a newb at this stuff you no im not that stupid to use usb connection, my connection is on an ethernet cable to network card.jees what do u take me for

janipewter
15-06-2006, 01:15
im not a newb at this stuff you no im not that stupid

Your spelling, grammar and punctuation lead be to believe otherwise.

Stuart
15-06-2006, 01:45
Guys, please calm down.

Shadowsparx, it's worth remembering that we don't know how much you know, and if Telewest support is anything like NTL support, it's entirely possible that they recommended you use USB. NTL have for a lot of people. Most people will take the advice of a Technical Support person unless they know better, and most people wouldn't necessarily know that Ethernet is better.

Diadem
15-06-2006, 02:29
well personaly as being one of those tech support folks, i always try to get people to use ethernet.

A: it being much easyer to fix
B: no drivers to worry about

as do evryone i work with.. ;)

janipewter
15-06-2006, 08:19
As far as I can remember, the blueyonder Instant Support Tool states that blueyonder "does not support home networking". ;)

Also, back in the day where the engineers actually used to install everything for you, they'd always install the modem on the USB connection, even though that meant putting on all the crappy drivers first. Personally I prefer Ethernet over USB anyday, but I have a home network and my router doesn't have a USB WAN port, like I'm sure no others do :D

Diadem
15-06-2006, 20:09
As far as I can remember, the blueyonder Instant Support Tool states that blueyonder "does not support home networking". ;)

Also, back in the day where the engineers actually used to install everything for you, they'd always install the modem on the USB connection, even though that meant putting on all the crappy drivers first. Personally I prefer Ethernet over USB anyday, but I have a home network and my router doesn't have a USB WAN port, like I'm sure no others do :D
Ah you see we dont support home networking the the form of routers we do support ethernet connection from modem to pc :)

lol really well that was silly, they were giving out NICs a while back and installing them. but now they dont wont to get in to trouble incase they feek things up these days.

janipewter
16-06-2006, 11:25
Yeah, I know someone who used to work for them and he said that the engineers come round, drill holes and plug the modem in, then just leave you with a cd and 2 cables and tell you to do it yourself, because they can't be held responsible if anything buggers up :D

Diadem
17-06-2006, 14:39
Yeah, I know someone who used to work for them and he said that the engineers come round, drill holes and plug the modem in, then just leave you with a cd and 2 cables and tell you to do it yourself, because they can't be held responsible if anything buggers up :D
exactly it mate people are more an more hostile when it comes to things geting broken and blame anyone else but them selfs.

You get left with the install CD(s) an ethernet cable and usb cable and the cd gives you explicit detail on setup its so easy tho lol.. find if funy tho "im at the licence agreement screen and i cant press accept".
theres a very clear check box there that also says i agree to TAC only old folks that seem to have problems with it.. anyway hehe

tis why shops in that charge huge prices to repair things so folk will use them as a last resort, helps people learn them selfs.
wish people would do what i did first time i got a computer and mess about and brake them and fix them them selfs. was a good old 486 i had ( no internet for the first 2 years) broke it evry week and sorted it, only way to learn ;)

anyway laters

Parrot of Doom
19-06-2006, 14:24
My connection speed has shot up from about 250k/s to 400k/s. I haven't changed anything. This appears to have happened sometime over the weekend.

Have I been upgraded? I live in Urmston, SW Manchester.

janipewter
20-06-2006, 00:41
All regions have been upgraded for a while now. This thread should be locked or something.

Diadem
20-06-2006, 02:03
yes 4mb upgrades were...
LAST YEAR
soz just in case you miss it lol ;)

janipewter
20-06-2006, 10:58
Actually, mine wasn't until March I think...

J.D
20-06-2006, 13:01
yes 4mb upgrades were...
LAST YEAR

DEPENDS WHERE YOU LIVE ;) Mines was at the start of November but I was lucky by location.

Diadem
20-06-2006, 13:34
dont last year like evryone else, i used to have a copy of exact dates ect of ubr upgrades and switch on dates. www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_evenfaster (http://www.blueyonder.co.uk/blueyonder/getContent.jspx?page=bbs_evenfaster)

again they are all done now.

can this now get locked redundant thread

eto
21-06-2006, 01:21
hmm.. i just upgraded to a 2mb cable with BY, guess i wont suddenly find its 4mb

Diadem
23-06-2006, 19:41
no you wont we have 2mb 4mb 10mb connections they have already been upgraded 2 was 1, 4 was 2 ect.. at the moment i have not seen anyplans to increase the 2mb service any more at moment

Parrot of Doom
24-06-2006, 14:16
May have been last year for some people, but I can assure you its only just upgraded for me. I know when it happened as well because my set top box turned the connection off and I had to reboot it :)

Diadem
24-06-2006, 14:49
tbh it is very dought full you have just been upgraded might have been that you havnt rebooted sins the upgrade was done in your area.
But there has been nothing done in the last month in respects to upgrades

J.D
24-06-2006, 15:47
tbh it is very dought full you have just been upgraded might have been that you havnt rebooted sins the upgrade was done in your area.

Will you not LISTEN Diadem. Not everyone in britain was upgraded before 2006. Geez man.

A couple of people have said this and you've just totally disregarded them, and ME.:mad: Mr Bloomin' think he knows it all

Parrot of Doom
24-06-2006, 16:34

Rubbish. I'm well aware of my download speeds as I use P2P alot, I can promise you it only just happened in the last week.

Diadem
24-06-2006, 20:26
only reason im says this is becouse i know the last of the ubrs to be done was in march, i have just double checked this. i wouldnt say it if it wasnt true.... and i know becouse i have a job with them.
but i'll leave you to beleve what ever you wish.

ameen
25-06-2006, 02:00
Those of you who have slow download speed you need to switch to ethernet instead of using usb I was using usb before and all I get is 7mb/s but now I switched to ethernet connection and I get full 10mb/s download speed when downloading torrent from private trackers are when using p2p but there seems to be a problem when connecting using ethernet which is I always get slow speed when downloading from http unless I use a download manager and connect using multiple connection then I get full download speed the other problem is when connecting using the ethernet speedcheck don,t seems to work it always show inacurrate information always shows slow download speed but that is wrong I do get full download speed when downloading so again speed check does not mean you get slow download speed are this problem could be from my computer am not sure

J.D
26-06-2006, 05:41
yes 4mb upgrades were...
LAST YEAR

Now your saying March :erm:

Hmmmmmm????

only reason im says this is becouse i know the last of the ubrs to be done was in march, i have just double checked this. i wouldnt say it if it wasnt true.... and i know becouse i have a job with them.
but i'll leave you to beleve what ever you wish.

Make up your mind. Anything before the 1st of January is last year and anything after is opposite.:dunce::p::dozey:;)

shadowsparx
15-07-2006, 17:49
my ubr was suppose to be upgraded and the line but i dont know if it has im in north london and currently theres loads of ubr upgrades and high utilisation is of the charts can anyone tell me if ubr's near me have been upgraded.and isit worth me switchin to ntl to gt the 200kb upload more from my current 384kb upload, reason for this being i play alote of xbox live and need upload.

v0id
17-07-2006, 13:17
Make up your mind. Anything before the 1st of January is last year and anything after is opposite.:dunce::p::dozey:;)

Perhaps they meant the last tax year, in which case March is last year ;)

James Henry
17-07-2006, 14:42
my ubr was suppose to be upgraded and the line but i dont know if it has im in north london and currently theres loads of ubr upgrades and high utilisation is of the charts can anyone tell me if ubr's near me have been upgraded.and isit worth me switchin to ntl to gt the 200kb upload more from my current 384kb upload, reason for this being i play alote of xbox live and need upload.
You can't switch from BY to ntl packages at the moment as they still aren't unified.

Xbox Live is fine with 384kbps unless you're hosting. If it sucks playing at the moment it's a symptom of the high utilisation.

The upgrade strategies for ntl and Telewest have been quite different, and it may surprise to know that ntl have adopted the more expensive and forward thinking strategy.

Telewest have been wringing as much as possible out of as little expensive as possible by maximising efficiency on their network, while ntl have dipped into the wallet and been laying new fibre and splitting nodes.

For the geeks Telewest have been installing second downstreams in areas on the channel above the existing one to relieve downstream congestion and employing 16QAM upstreams to relieve upstream congestion. ntl have been employing (belated) 256QAM downstream upgrades which were done on Telewest a while ago, but they've also been doing extensive resegmentation, both removing nodal combining and a lot of new fibre and full node builds.

Pushing fibre deeper in the network is something that has to be done sooner or later, Telewest were doing their level best to avoid doing it due to lack of cash while ntl had the budget, bit the bullet, and got the fibre into the ground.

shadowsparx
17-07-2006, 16:54
so am i better off switchin to ntl even though its not much of a difference except the 512kb upload instead of 384kb?. because telewest are really started to p me off with there tech support i know everything they will tell me to do its very annoying.

Diadem
17-07-2006, 17:33
ps the high util issues i dought if they will go away its being fixed as and when as in if theres one at 90% all the time it will get fixed anything at 70 - 80 is pritty much being ignored.

as for the ubr upgrades for speeds upgrades there done and 10Mb is avalible in all regions.

James Henry
17-07-2006, 18:09
Think you missed my very first sentence in the previous post...

You can't switch from BY to ntl packages at the moment as they still aren't unified.

---------- Post added at 17:09 ---------- Previous post was at 17:07 ----------

ps the high util issues i dought if they will go away its being fixed as and when as in if theres one at 90% all the time it will get fixed anything at 70 - 80 is pritty much being ignored.

as for the ubr upgrades for speeds upgrades there done and 10Mb is avalible in all regions.

Upgrades should be an ongoing thing. I heard that they didn't really care about utilisation and fixed things when there were too many complaints.

70-80% utilisation on upstreams is enough to annoy gamers quite nicely.

Diadem
17-07-2006, 19:12
what i mean is all regions are capable of 10Mb to all customers ( utill issues aside :P )
yeh there pritty half arsed on the high utill issuesanything in the 90% bracket they are sorting.. bandwidth shaping more than likly.

yeh and it does but again nothing will be done about it as usual