PDA

View Full Version : Brand new pc - page cannot be displayed

kblt1
08-11-2005, 10:40
Hi
I've just got a new dell pc running windows xp pro - plugged in existing cable modem via ethernet, which worked fine on my last pc, in right bottom corner it popped up connected 100 mpbs and everything is set up ok in LAN settings and IE, but when I open internet explorer it just says 'page cannot be displayed' on every site I try including https://autoreg.autoregister.net (https://autoreg.autoregister.net/)

A friend has the same modem from ntl and when replaced his pc with one running xp pro he just plugged it in and everything worked fine first time, no need to set anything up or put passwrods in or anything which makes me think the modem holds that info and not the pc.

I must be missing something very obvious.:confused:

Can someone please help?

Aragorn
08-11-2005, 10:50
When you change PC's on a CM you need to power cycle the CM between devices. Have you done so? That's the most obvious cause.

kblt1
08-11-2005, 10:57
When you change PC's on a CM you need to power cycle the CM between devices. Have you done so? That's the most obvious cause.

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you mean just simply switch on and off cable modem?

Aragorn
08-11-2005, 10:59
Pull the power lead out of the back of the CM! ;) Leave it off for about 30 secs, then replace the power lead.

Halcyon
08-11-2005, 11:19
Yep that should be the only thing you need to do.
You dont need to go and re-register.

PS: You may want to check you dont have any firewall set up that is currently stopping internet activity for particular browsers.

jonholyfield
08-11-2005, 22:30
As a quick aside I had occasion to talk to Customer support on a customers behalf today (although I was fairly sure it was not their problem.

They were very helpful and whilst the "repair the IP stack" was obviously not the fix (It was bloody Symantec again, I hate that company) they were well informed, did not treat me like an idiot and had a sense of humour.

They could have helped themselves by asking for the O/S rather than assuming it was XP (this was ME) but I'd rather that than the following the script rigidly routine.

Actually she was desparately trying to find the ME instructions but I helped her through it.

So cheers NTL for some decent customer service. No cheers to the support bod who cut off my customer last week.