PDA

View Full Version : Power surge, modem's ENET light won't stop flashing

Electrolyte01
07-11-2005, 22:55
Hey everyone. I've just recently just had a terrible power surge, causing all the lights to dim, my server to shut off and my modem/router to go nuts. They are all running off surge protectors and my main PC and server are fine. The router is also fine, but I feel the modem is about to kick the bucket.

The surge caused it to turn off, and then wouldn't accept any power. I unplugged it and plugged it back in, still not accepting the power. I unplugged it from the surge protector and plugged it straight into the mains, now it worked. Only thing is, the ENET light is going mad - it will NOT stop flashing as if there is constant activity, even though the send/receive lights are idle and the WAN light on my router is also idle.

This didn't happen before the surge. I've got the NTL:100 modem. Any ideas if it's on it's last legs? :(

MovedGoalPosts
07-11-2005, 23:00
Presumably if the modem will work somehow, when not plugged into the surge protector, the surge protector got killed :(

As for the modem, I'd leave it off for a few minutes. If the surge was dodgy enough to affect your house, it could well have affected ntl'local network stuff too. Who knows what protection is fitted in the Cabs (no doubt some bright spark from ntl can confirm :shocking: ). If you then re power, and it's still misbehaving in the morning call faults then to see what they say.

Electrolyte01
08-11-2005, 09:16
Thanks Rob. The ENET light is STILL flashing constantly, so I think I'm going to have to get my parents to ring NTL up :(

sollp
08-11-2005, 10:43
Thanks Rob. The ENET light is STILL flashing constantly, so I think I'm going to have to get my parents to ring NTL up :(

Can you confirm that the ethernet light on modem is flashing constantly with the ethernet lean connected into modem and into ethernet card on PC?

Or is it flashing without ant leads connected. Try unplugging the leads so you only have the cable input to modem and the power lead on modem only and see if you have the same results.

Also check to see if your surge protector is one of those that will give you cover if anything is affected whilst it is connected to the surge protector, you may be lucky if it does.

Electrolyte01
08-11-2005, 11:50
Strangely the connection just reset by it's self. Now the light has stopped flashing and is "on" like it normally is. Must have been an area problem :erm: