PDA

View Full Version : NTL Very slow in Bromley

slimsavery
07-11-2005, 23:20
My ntl has gone down from roughly 2 meg to between 500 and 800 mhz tonight. i live in Bromley. i have tried configuring ie to use a specific proxy server and im getting differing speeds ( testing on pc pitstop ) between 500 and 800 mhz. is my low speed due to the matience in Bromley tonight?

Physci
08-11-2005, 00:00
I'm in Bromley as well, no problems here.

slimsavery
08-11-2005, 00:07
how do you check your speed? what are your speeds using this? thanks for your help

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

slimsavery
08-11-2005, 01:02
had major greif with ntl over my speed last month. broadband support was awful, telling me to use netstat and stop any unneccesarry open connections- causing my laptop to crash. came on these forums and you kind guys advised me to configure IE to a specific proxy server in my area. the result? the fastest speeds i have encountered, nearly 2meg all the time ( which is what i pay for ). tonight the madness has started again. i have changed the proxy address to every available one in bromley. 1 min its around 1700 kbs and then 1100. have also tried using other areas - no joy? i hope its because of the matience tonight, however other people from Bromley say their ok. very annoyed

as an add on to this, ive used a proxy server in dublin. one test is 1827 kilobits then the next test 400! how can this change so much!

Scopeuk
08-11-2005, 14:08
sounds like you've found a point where its choking eg somewhere between you and it could be ubr could be an external router where its bandwidth isalmost al used then other people start downloading and the remaining bandwidth disapears

slimsavery
08-11-2005, 21:17
Hi

Thanks for your reply. whats a ubr?

simbr
09-11-2005, 11:17
"Universal Broadband Router"

slimsavery
09-11-2005, 14:28
Yo!

as an update to this, i phoned NTL yesterday got my self up to the 3 megs service for free ( cos i complain well ) thought this way id at least get the 2 meg i pay for! howver one min it3 3 meg, the next 500 kilobits p/s!! have phoned NTL, apparntly my settop box has a low ping ( 80 % ), engineer coming round tommorow, hopefully with a cable modem so i can lose the settop box. is it right you can only have 10 meg with a cable modem? according to ntl it is? hopefully i`ll have my problems fixed tommorow