PDA

View Full Version : Car Question (Idle screw)

STONEISLAND
07-11-2005, 19:25
Dont suppose anyone knows where I will find the idle screw to increase the revs, as it ticking over a bit to low when car has warmed up.

its a astra.

TIA

ScaredWebWarrior
07-11-2005, 19:38
Dont suppose anyone knows where I will find the idle screw to increase the revs, as it ticking over a bit to low when car has warmed up.

its a astra.

TIA
No immediate answer, but first of all, how old is the car? (i.e. reg year)
Does it actually have an idle screw?
Also, whether it does or not, a vacuum leak could also be indicated. Has the problem appeared recently? Has the car been serviced or something?

STONEISLAND
07-11-2005, 19:53
No immediate answer, but first of all, how old is the car? (i.e. reg year)
Does it actually have an idle screw?
Also, whether it does or not, a vacuum leak could also be indicated. Has the problem appeared recently? Has the car been serviced or something?

W reg.
Weather it has one or not is a good question. I dont know I guess so :confused:
The car has just been serviced. And it only happens when the engine is warm, its fine when cold. It will drop right down sometimes when i put the clutch in, and stall.

it did happen before srevice but its seems to have got worst.

budwieser
07-11-2005, 19:57
Sometimes the cold idle valve plays up on these or it could be the crank sensor.
Normally this only happens when its below operating temp though.

STONEISLAND
07-11-2005, 19:58
Sometimes the cold idle valve plays up on these!

Do you have a cure?

budwieser
07-11-2005, 20:00
Do you have a cure?

Get it checked out and maybe replaced, also make sure all the breathers are clear but i feel that its an electrical problem.

STONEISLAND
07-11-2005, 20:01
garage job then:(

budwieser
07-11-2005, 20:09
garage job then:(
I`d certainly take it to someone who can do a proper diagnostic check with the right equipment mate.
Sadly, most Vauxhall dealers charge about £70 + vat per hour nowadays.
Try to find a reputable guy who works for himself and has a good reputation!.
Which area are you in by the way?

The franchise i work for needed some cosmetic work done to a BMW M3 Cab roof and our local dealer quoted us £108.00 + Vat per hour!:(

ScaredWebWarrior
07-11-2005, 20:54
The car has just been serviced. And it only happens when the engine is warm, its fine when cold. It will drop right down sometimes when i put the clutch in, and stall.I have seen this before - when the car is serviced they 'adjust' the tuning etc. but don't always check the car at full engine temp. (Well, they can't do, otherwise they'd notice this!)

So my advice is to get the garage that serviced the car to fix it - for free, of course - as it is a problem they introduced with the servicing.

Get it checked out and maybe replaced, also make sure all the breathers are clear but i feel that its an electrical problem.It's rare for there to be a 'cold idle valve' - it's either a simple mechanical adjustment, or part of the engine management system.

If it's a mechanical adjustment (likely on a W-reg car), then it's just a matter for proper adjustment. Most cars need their mixture setup done when good & warm for 'normal' running. The cold-start system then usually does an acceptable job to cover the relatively short warm-up time.

It definitely does NOT sound like an electrical problem, but it would be a good idea to ensure breathers are clear. (Ditto, make sure when it was serviced it actually got a NEW airfilter! The paper ones really need doing at least once, if not twice/year!)

If the car has an automatic choke, then it is possible that it's not operating correctly - i.e. if it stays open too late the over-rich mixture will also cause stalling. If this was the case, you'd notice a pretty hefty drop in your MPGs.

STONEISLAND
07-11-2005, 21:06
Great post and help thanks. :tu:

Tuftus
07-11-2005, 21:07
If it has fuel injection, this may be a problem with the air flow sensor, my old cav sri used to do that....

Also, if it has fuel injection the idle will be controlled by the ECU most probably and not a screw...

STONEISLAND
07-11-2005, 21:53
Now it is a sri 1.8

Wicked_and_Crazy
07-11-2005, 21:57
all prison warders are idle!!

budwieser
09-11-2005, 23:15
I have seen this before - when the car is serviced they 'adjust' the tuning etc. but don't always check the car at full engine temp. (Well, they can't do, otherwise they'd notice this!)

So my advice is to get the garage that serviced the car to fix it - for free, of course - as it is a problem they introduced with the servicing.

It's rare for there to be a 'cold idle valve' - it's either a simple mechanical adjustment, or part of the engine management system.

If it's a mechanical adjustment (likely on a W-reg car), then it's just a matter for proper adjustment. Most cars need their mixture setup done when good & warm for 'normal' running. The cold-start system then usually does an acceptable job to cover the relatively short warm-up time.

It definitely does NOT sound like an electrical problem, but it would be a good idea to ensure breathers are clear. (Ditto, make sure when it was serviced it actually got a NEW airfilter! The paper ones really need doing at least once, if not twice/year!)

If the car has an automatic choke, then it is possible that it's not operating correctly - i.e. if it stays open too late the over-rich mixture will also cause stalling. If this was the case, you'd notice a pretty hefty drop in your MPGs.

" It's rare for there to be a 'cold idle valve' "
Excuse me but i think you`ll find there is a cold idle Valve on some cars.
I think you`ll find that they actually replaced automatic chokes!;)

ScaredWebWarrior
09-11-2005, 23:32
" It's rare for there to be a 'cold idle valve' "
Excuse me but i think you`ll find there is a cold idle Valve on some cars.
I think you`ll find that they actually replaced automatic chokes!;)
If you say so. But I certainly never come across one - particularly on cars with manual chokes or early auto chokes.

I would be interested how the cold idle valve works, though...

budwieser
10-11-2005, 00:00
If you say so. But I certainly never come across one - particularly on cars with manual chokes or early auto chokes.

I would be interested how the cold idle valve works, though...

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=3469

Sorry, Best i could do at this time of night.

ScaredWebWarrior
10-11-2005, 00:48
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=3469Hmmm. That sounds familiar - I'm sure there was something similar on here not that long ago...

Anyway, I found some interesting items here http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=idle+air+control+valve (can also add 'astra' for more specific links)

It's full name makes it's function rather obvious.

In my experience (mostly with mechanical, pre-computerised cars) this was a screw adjustment.

And the way they replaced simple mechanical controls with (prone to failure) electronic ones is one of the reasons I'd rather have an older car that I can keep going myself. All the later models require nothing less than £600 for each service just to keep running + £exhorb itant any time something goes wrong.