PDA

View Full Version : This made me laugh ..

Nemesis
28-10-2003, 15:36
Again from the Daily Mirror :-

"Trolley Useless
More than 300 'theft proof' trolleys worth £40,000 were stolen over 10 days from an ASDA store in Southampton."

:rofl: :rofl:

Theodoric
28-10-2003, 18:39
Again from the Daily Mirror :-

"Trolley Useless
More than 300 'theft proof' trolleys worth £40,000 were stolen over 10 days from an ASDA store in Southampton."

:rofl: :rofl:
How can you 'theft proof' a trolley? By the very nature of the beast they have to be allowed to roam freely. So, if you're willing to lose your pound coin, what is to stop you taking one away.

More to the point, what does anyone want with so many trolleys? Is there a gang of criminals somewhere spray painting them and putting 'Sainsbury's' on the side.

Russ
28-10-2003, 18:46
Apparently the theft-proof ones have some kind of mechanism which lock the wheels if it goes past a certain point.

Not sure how effect it is though.

Chimaera
28-10-2003, 18:49
Apparently the theft-proof ones have some kind of mechanism which lock the wheels if it goes past a certain point.

Erm - not very effective, obviously!!

Theodoric
28-10-2003, 19:03

I see. But if you have a gang of two, you could presumably easily carry them. It only goes to prove that whatever system is developed to prevent a crime, some scallywag will find a way to circumvent it.

Nemesis
28-10-2003, 19:04
I see. But if you have a gang of two, you could presumably easily carry them. It only goes to prove that whatever system is developed to prevent a crime, some scallywag will find a way to circumvent it.
Yeah, but 300 of them ????

aliferste
28-10-2003, 19:14

We have them at our local safeway. They are very effective actually......they have certainly stopped people using the trolley to take their shopping to there house and then phoning up to complain about the trolley outside the house :)

MadGamer
29-10-2003, 21:34
Erm - not very effective, obviously!! I agree. How can they possibly work.

Ramrod
29-10-2003, 21:44

Not sure how effect it is though.Very effective. One of my patients didn't notice the sign and tried to take the (fully laden) trolley past the 'certain point'. The trolley locked up abruptly and she injured her back, then she became a patient of mine:rolleyes:

MetaWraith
30-10-2003, 00:19
Life is never ending battle twix Engineers designing Idiot Proof Systems, and the Universe in evolving newer improved idiots to over come them. So far the universe is winning.............

philip.j.fry
30-10-2003, 01:20
I agree. How can they possibly work.

They are all fitted with locks on the wheels and a red boundary is drawn round the supermarket, if the trolley goes over that line the lock activates. I don't know how they work, possibly by visually scanning for red?

Paul K
30-10-2003, 03:24
Radio frequency, they dig a cable in. The supermarket trolley people have to have a special handset to release the wheels again to reclaim the trolley.

Maggy
31-10-2003, 23:20
i thought all trolleys came with an inbuilt theft prevention system.it's called b*gger up one wheel so it only goes in one direction.there's also the b*gger up two wheels option so it stops dead and you have to carry it to move it.I've also come across the two wheels up in the air system which means you end up going in circles.

As i NEVER get a trolley that works i can only wonder at the ingenuity of those who steal them.

incog. :D

keithwalton
31-10-2003, 23:39
hmm 300 a day seems abit excessive, depends which asda though there are two in soton, the one in the city clamps on exit but theres usually someone around which will gladly unclamp it for you and let you walk away with it.

If it the big store though 300 could quite easily go missing as the store is humungous it has its own tyre fitting garage !

K

Paul
01-11-2003, 00:01
300 a day ? I thought the report said 300 in 10 days - mind you, I suppose even 30 a day is still a lot.