PDA

View Full Version : Ports, ports and more ports

mjc65
05-11-2005, 20:18
Hi Folks

Sorry about this - have searched for stuff on ports, but not quite sure if I can put it all together, so thought it would be best to pose my specific problem as a question.

Up until Wednesday (02/11/05) I had no problems with connecting to the internet, but on returning from work found that a lot of my sites were no longer working. Have already tried to eliminate the following possibilities

Router not at fault as connected direct to Samsung box and problems remained
OS and PC not at fault as had to perform clean install of Windows XP Pro, SP1 (don't ask why :dozey: )
All required software and plugins in place
PC in DMZ (I know, I know...)

So, the situation I am faced with now is one of NTL blocking ports. Is this the case? Does anyone have a current list of blocked ports (if any)? If I reboot the modem, does this unblock the ports?

Have still not discounted web-site playing around with site structure. If the port the website works on was blocked, would I receive anything?

Any help greatly appreciated

Mike

jellybaby
05-11-2005, 20:21
Could well be a proxy problem...Have you tried specifying a different proxy?

nffc
05-11-2005, 20:23
Will be a proxy, afaik ntl don't block any ports.

mjc65
05-11-2005, 20:46
OK - now I'm lost :) Using Belkin router that assigns IP dynamically - never used a proxy. Know this makes me sound like a doughnut, but could someone point me in the direction of a guide for proxies.

Many thanks for quick response

jellybaby
05-11-2005, 20:48
how to.... http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=21

proxies..... http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=10

Paul
05-11-2005, 20:48
ntl don't block any outgoing ports from your pc, they do block a few incoming requests (137, 138, 139, 445 & 1433 spring to mind, there are about three others).

mjc65
05-11-2005, 21:10
No luck yet, but have tried proxies. I now think there is an error with the sites and will email them with this information. The ports NTL have blocked - has anyone experienced any problems as a result?

Cheers

DocDutch
06-11-2005, 01:14
which router have you got from Belkin.....perhaps give it a hard reboot (power off) then try it after 5 mins it should be fine then matey

Scopeuk
06-11-2005, 02:03
ntl only block those ports due to the fonminale amount of risk a pc with those ports open is in on the internet

Graham M
06-11-2005, 02:15
Try a factory restore, that sorted problems with accessing sites from mine. Port 80 was disappearing once every 24 hours, hasn't happened once since.

*Prepares for the Inevitable Page not found when clicking "Post Quick Reply"*

:D

Edit Scope... were you looking for "Phenomenal"? :)

Hmm I reckon Levig has remote control of all Routers cos mines just died for the first time in a couple of weeks allowing all traffic apart from Port 80...Odd...

hairport
06-11-2005, 08:30
ntl only block those ports due to the fonminale amount of risk a pc with those ports open is in on the internet
But some of us need to have them open. I had to get an ADSL line put in just so I can use works exchange email server!

Tim

Tuftus
06-11-2005, 10:43
When I used to have a Belkin Router I had a few problems every now and again, updating the firmware cured it though...

(apart from the time they uploaded a beta firmware to the public download area lol)

Maybe flashing your firmware to the latest version may help?

nffc
06-11-2005, 13:30
I have the same Port 80 outage problem, on the latest FW.

Paul
06-11-2005, 13:53
But some of us need to have them open. I had to get an ADSL line put in just so I can use works exchange email server!

TimNo outgoing ports are blocked (unless you had an older STB for your internet ?, some of them didn't seem to handle i/c only blocks).

DocDutch
06-11-2005, 14:24
Hmm I reckon Levig has remote control of all Routers cos mines just died for the first time in a couple of weeks allowing all traffic apart from Port 80...Odd...

hehehehe Zeph.....you should know by now that talking bout "evil" things they are bound to happen.

oww and Zeph I've had it myself today as well...rebooted via the router page and all fine again its just odd that it happend to you and to me today

Graham M
06-11-2005, 14:38
I doubt it will...I cant see why it would, but ive specified a proxy on my web browser to see what happens next time as the proxy is on 8080.