PDA

View Full Version : Terrayon modem

jem16
05-11-2005, 12:17
My friend is on a 2mb connection but after running a few speed tests, she's lucky if she's getting 56k! NTL apparently checked it from their end and say she's getting the correct speed and it must be the PC - spyware etc. I've run an anti-virus test as well as Adaware and all is clean so I don't think it's that.

They asked me to type netstat -a and count how many listening ports - there were 4. They told me there should only be about 2 so something must be there. I told them that the PC was using ICS to share the connection to another PC so that would be listening but they weren't interested.

I did try downloading a file and noticed that the download started, then stopped for about 20 secs, then started again and stopped again etc. I'm wondering if it's a modem problem or the fact that it's connected to a USB port.

Any suggestions as to how to check this out. My own modem has a config page that I can check logs - does the Terrayon?

rdhw
05-11-2005, 12:33
My own modem has a config page that I can check logs - does the Terrayon?No, the Terayon does not have a diagnostic page that can be checked.

Try connecting a different PC to the Terayon (you might need to reboot the Terayon for this to work), and see if that gets good speeds. If it does, then you know the problem was with the user's original PC.

They asked me to type netstat -a and count how many listening ports - there were 4. They told me there should only be about 2 so something must be there.You can't tell anything just from the number of listening ports: the PC I am posting from has 8 listening, and there is nothing wrong with it. It's which programs have the listening ports open that matters, and what they are doing with them.

jem16
05-11-2005, 13:31
No, the Terayon does not have a diagnostic page that can be checked.

Try connecting a different PC to the Terayon (you might need to reboot the Terayon for this to work), and see if that gets good speeds. If it does, then you know the problem was with the user's original PC.

That's my next plan today. I'm taking my own laptop down which has an ordinary ethernet port. I'm assuming the Terrayon can also be connected with ethernet as well as USB? If so is it just an ordinary ethernet cable?

You can't tell anything just from the number of listening ports: the PC I am posting from has 8 listening, and there is nothing wrong with it. It's which programs have the listening ports open that matters, and what they are doing with them.

I didn't think so either. My own PC, part of a 3 PC network, has about 8 listening ports too and I know it's fine.

jem16
06-11-2005, 10:16
All checked out now.

I tried a reboot of the CM before doing anything and was able to get much better speeds right away. I then tried the PC's own ethernet card ( normally used to share the connection to another PC) and it seemed much more stable than the USB connection, not surprisingly.

However running a speed test or downloading a file I noticed that the connection seems to drop occasionally. You can be downloading a file and it gets to about half way, then all activity stops for about 30 seconds or so and then it resumes. This happens whether it's USB or ethernet. It also happened on my laptop so it's not the PC. Would this be the modem or the line?

Meanwhile I've advised them to get an ethernet card as it's definitely better than the USB.

jonbr
09-11-2005, 13:26
Always use ethernet if you can, much more stable and cuts out the pesky drivers you need for the USB connection.

I had the same problem eith a Terayon modem dropping out when under heavy load, download s/w updates or large files. It was the modem. It was changed for an NTL250 modem and all is good again.

jem16
09-11-2005, 17:27
My friend bought an ethernet card to day but will need help to install it. I think after that I'll suggest she asks for a new modem.

patrickp
09-11-2005, 19:20
All checked out now.

I tried a reboot of the CM before doing anything and was able to get much better speeds right away. I then tried the PC's own ethernet card ( normally used to share the connection to another PC) and it seemed much more stable than the USB connection, not surprisingly.

However running a speed test or downloading a file I noticed that the connection seems to drop occasionally. You can be downloading a file and it gets to about half way, then all activity stops for about 30 seconds or so and then it resumes. This happens whether it's USB or ethernet. It also happened on my laptop so it's not the PC. Would this be the modem or the line?

Meanwhile I've advised them to get an ethernet card as it's definitely better than the USB.

Why not get a router and use that to connect both PCs (you can network them through the router, obviously), jem16? This gets you a much better organised network, it means that all PCs connected to the router (most of the wired - as opposed to wireless - routers available ATM seem to be 4 port routers) can network with each other, and all can access the internet.

You also get a NAT firewall incorporated in most routers that is more effective (and always on) than the software firewalls you have in PCs.

jem16
09-11-2005, 19:30
Why not get a router and use that to connect both PCs (you can network them through the router, obviously), jem16? This gets you a much better organised network, it means that all PCs connected to the router (most of the wired - as opposed to wireless - routers available ATM seem to be 4 port routers) can network with each other, and all can access the internet.

You also get a NAT firewall incorporated in most routers that is more effective (and always on) than the software firewalls you have in PCs.

Yes I agree with you - my own set up is a router. I may suggest it but it would involve recabling as the cable in place is a crossover as opposed to straight. I suppose I could always change one of the connectors and turn it into a straight cable.

JohnHorb
09-11-2005, 19:32
Aren't many, if not most, routers these days auto-detect, so can use cross-over OR straight-through?

jem16
09-11-2005, 19:34
Aren't many, if not most, routers these days auto-detect, so can use cross-over OR straight-through?

You might be right on this - I do remember seeing this. I'll look into it - thanks.

mmm
09-11-2005, 20:41
No, the Terayon does not have a diagnostic page that can be checked.

unless you use rdhw's own DOCSDIAG program in clientside mode:-
jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -v
C:\software\docsdiag>jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -v
DocsDiag v030720 Copyright 2001-3 Robin Walker rdhw@cam.ac.uk

Terayon DOCSIS Cable Modem: <<HW_REV: 6.62; VENDOR: Terayon; BOOTR: NONE; SW_REV
: 1.7.14; MODEL: >>

System up time = 40 days 15h 23m 11.08s
MAC address.1 = ...
IP address.192.168.100.1 = 192.168.100.1
Ethernet single-collision errs.1 = 2066
Ethernet multiple-collision errs.1 = 2101
Downstream channel ID = 0
Downstream channel frequency = 402750000 Hz
Downstream received signal power = 6.4 dBmV
Upstream channel ID = 6
Upstream channel frequency = 36784000 Hz
Upstream timing offset = 13181 units of (6.25/64) microseconds
QoS max upstream bandwidth = 100000 bps
QoS max downstream bandwidth = 1024000 bps
SigQu: received without error = 814265518 codewords
SigQu: correctable errors = 1149 codewords
SigQu: uncorrectable errors = 4 codewords
SigQu: Signal to Noise Ratio = 33.1 dB
SigQu: microreflections = 24 dBc
Cable modem status = Operational
Upstream transmit signal power = 40.2 dBmV
Number of interface resets = 1
Downstream sync losses = 0
Invalid MAP msgs received = 0
Invalid UCD msgs received = 0
Invalid Ranging Responses rcvd = 0
Invalid Registration Resps rcvd = 0
T1 timer expiries = 0
T2 timer expiries = 0
T3 timer expiries = 3
T4 timer expiries = 0
Ranging Aborts = 0
Tx mini-slots used (contended).180 = 0
Tx mini-slots used (dedicated).180 = 67607193
Tx data re-tries.180 = 0
Tx data retry limit exceeded.180 = 0
Tx bandwidth req retries.180 = 62608
Tx bw req retry lim exceeded.180 = 42
Date and Time = 2005-11-09,20:38:04.0+00:00
Configuration filename = cmreg-tera210x-light.cm

Hom3r
09-11-2005, 22:22
How do I get Docsdiag.jar working to talk to my Terayon CM

mmm
09-11-2005, 23:03
How do I get Docsdiag.jar working to talk to my Terayon CM

In XP PRO (not tried with other OS) you assign a secondary IP of 192.168.100.2 mask 255.255.255.0 and connect your PC directly to the modem, and issue the following DOS command from the directory you put the program in.

jview /cp docsdiag.jar docsdiag -v

I have a router I have to bypass to do this - I just swap cables without powering anything down to keep the stats live. I also leave the secondary IP address as it seems to cause no harm.

patrickp
10-11-2005, 00:59
Yes I agree with you - my own set up is a router. I may suggest it but it would involve recabling as the cable in place is a crossover as opposed to straight. I suppose I could always change one of the connectors and turn it into a straight cable.

Ethernet cables are not exactly expensive or hard to get, jem16! ;-)

ian@huth
10-11-2005, 01:18
Ethernet cables are not exactly expensive or hard to get, jem16! ;-)Depends on your definition of expensive. The last ones I bought were a massive 49p from ebuyer (hope the wife doesn't find out I've been spending so much).. :Yikes: Cheapest p&p for that would make it just over £3 though.

jem16
10-11-2005, 08:05
Ethernet cables are not exactly expensive or hard to get, jem16! ;-)

I've got plenty of cable in the house already. It wasn't the expense - it was the bother of crawling underneath the floor to lay another cable.

simbr
10-11-2005, 09:46
(before they took the Terayon away) I found the only way to run Docsdiag through our newer router was to assign the router a static IP of 192.168.100.2 then switch back to dynamic afterwards. On the old router I could use the server side method, but not on the new one for some reason (both SMC).

Hom3r
10-11-2005, 14:36
I've run http://www.dslreports.com/tweakr/
and get this

Receive Window (RWIN): 33580

Notes and recommendations:
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/11/1.gif Choose RWIN between 94900 and 251120

I've downloaded the file but can somebody recommend a RWIN setting to use