PDA

View Full Version : Connection Problems

K!ngK!ll3r
04-11-2005, 17:45
Normally i've been able to fix this problem in the past, but this time im confused as to why it's happening.

I un-installed a program that was sharing files, i choose not to delete them files as in the past i have found that this is what normally causes the problem i am having, losing my internet connection.
In the past when this has happened i re-installed XP pro from scratch and i have got my connection back, but not this time.
When i try to connect through IE my broadband connection tries to detect my Proxy settings and then i get the normal "This page could not be displayed" the wierd thing is that if i connect through my laptop i get a connection with no problems. Ive never had to change any settings in Internet Tools before.

My device manager says that my ethernet card is working properly, my cable modem shows information coming IN, but nothing out, zone alarm shows the same, but as i said before if i un-plug my cable and put it into my laptop i get a conection.

Im hoping that it's not my ethernet card thats the problem, but xp says thats working fine.

MovedGoalPosts
04-11-2005, 17:48
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

You don't say if you power off the modem / STB when you change the wires over between PC and lappy. Presumably you do?

Paul K
04-11-2005, 17:49
Have you rebooted the SACM/ STB since uninstalling the software? Also have you tried telling Zone alarm to not run at windows startup and then reboot. If ZA is locking the connection you will find out very quickly as your connection will start working.
What did you uninstall by the way?

K!ngK!ll3r
04-11-2005, 18:04
I've turned ZA off to see if thats is blocking the connection, but i still get no connection. The program was a game that has a browser plug-in attachement, so thats why i decided not to delete the files that it was sharing with Windows. This is why like i said in the past i have re-installed windows and becuase it is re-installing all the program files and settings it would work again.

I had'nt been turning off my cable modem when I switched the cable between computers.

Don't know if this helps too, but i have only just got the laptop, so the first thing i did was connect it to the web to do all my updates, Windows and Norton, after about 30mins of updating, i then connected back to my PC, this is when i think the connection stopped responding and since hav'nt been able to get a response.

The trouble is that i can't remember if i tried my internet after i un-installed the program or after i did all the updates, thats why i can't work out which it was that done it, but im still confused as to why after re-installing windows that it would still be trying to detect my proxy settings and not giving me a connection on my pc but the laptop is working fine.

Mick Fisher
04-11-2005, 18:05
>I un-installed a program that was sharing files

If that was Imesh then it has corrupted your TCP/IP stack. I have just had this happen on my daughter's PC ("No Dad, never heard of Imesh, honest..LOL)
I re-installed XP.
I have since heard the TCP/IP stack can be repaired from DOS.
I'm afraid I don't know the commands or procedure involved but perhaps a more knowlegeable member may step forward? Otherwise it's down to a bit of Googling for you.

HTH

Mick

K!ngK!ll3r
04-11-2005, 18:10
Google, yep searched around that to try and find the solution, but unless you have some one with the exact same problem can be quite hard to find the fix.

Hence why after doing what i know normally works, re-installing windows i've found that im stuck to asking someone else.

And no i don't use Imesh.

Paul K
04-11-2005, 18:56
Have you tried rebooting the PC and the SACM/ STB when switching?
Can you explain your setup to us a bit more, operating system, connection type (usb or ethernet), SACM or set top box, exactly what it was that was removed prior to the connection failling.

patrickp
04-11-2005, 20:12
Google, yep searched around that to try and find the solution, but unless you have some one with the exact same problem can be quite hard to find the fix.

Hence why after doing what i know normally works, re-installing windows i've found that im stuck to asking someone else.

And no i don't use Imesh.

Just got to look in the right place - Microstuffed (http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357) ;-D

Mick Fisher
04-11-2005, 20:49
>And no i don't use Imesh.

It might help if you told us which App you uninstalled to start the problem.

In the meantime Googling on "rebuilding XP's TCP/IP stack from DOS" regurgitated this
http://www.onecomputerguy.com/windowsxp_tips.htm#tcp-ip_reinstall

So it would seem

netsh int ip reset mynetsh.log

entered at the command prompt should rebuild your TCP/IP stack and create a log of activities in mynetsh.log

HTH

Mick

Chris W
04-11-2005, 22:16
in my experience the int ip reset command seems to achieve very little, if you have service pack 2 installed, you are better off trying:

netsh winsock reset catalog

then rebooting. should get you sorted, however, you may need to reinstall any firewall software after doing this.

the instructions for the equivalent if you don't have SP2 installed are here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/811259/

Scopeuk
06-11-2005, 02:10
just through reading what you have said it looks like you havent power cycled (switched off and on) the cable modem between switching between the desktop and laptop if you dont do this the cable modem wont lease the desktop properly and it wont connect

K!ngK!ll3r
06-11-2005, 09:52
just through reading what you have said it looks like you havent power cycled (switched off and on) the cable modem between switching between the desktop and laptop if you dont do this the cable modem wont lease the desktop properly and it wont connect

This was a idea that i thought might be happening but as i said before about being a pipeline i tried the things first that has in the past fixed this solution, but with no luck. Now your saying it could be the reason then it would be nice if somebody could tell me the solution to fix this problem.

Well i always thought that because a cable modem + ethernet cable were a pipe line allowing information to travel both ways and as such was'nt a program based thing (sorry could'nt fnd the right word), as in all the programs that control the running of it are either based in the pc or laptop it would'nt have any effect when simply swaping between the 2 pc's.

So does this mean because i updated when connected to my laptop then simply dis-connecting and tryied in it my pc without turning the modem off first that it is looking for information telling it that it is connected to the laptop and hence not allowing me too connect through my PC?

Somebody at work was having the same problem with his son's PC, he could connect with his Xbox and laptop but not his pc. After he payied for somebody to fix it he found out that there was a file (spyware i believe) attached to a XP file and was blocking the connection, so i tried the process he was told, ran Norton Virus scan, Zone Alarm deep system scan and the new Microsoft Spyware program (still in Beta stage) system scan but these all found nothing.

And sorry, but here are my system specs although i fixed this problem in the past before i got my laptop i don't see how this is helpful, but ayway:

PC
Asus P4P800 Duluxe + P4 2.8ghz
512mb DDR Corsair Ram (paired)
200gig Maxtor HD
Radeon 9800 128mb GC.
Windows XP Pro.

Laptop
HP ZD8000
P4 3.2ghz (2cpu's)
1gig Ram
100gig HD
Radeon 256mb GC
Windows XP Home.

both use the same NTL broadband connection.

NTL Home 100 Cable Modem on 3meg Connection.

Thanks for all the help so far and i hope that it's on the verge of being fixed because im missing my online gaming with COD2 being out at the moment. :)

P.S.

I tried all the resting of my TCP/IP stack and it still had no luck.

Would having a desktop HUB allowi me to use the 2 without turning of the modem each time?

K!ngK!ll3r
06-11-2005, 10:41
Well all i can say is that you learn something new everyday :)

A big thank you to all the guys who tryied to help me fix the problem, but i have found it out.

I thought to myself "I wonder what if" , so i dic-connected my ethernet cable from my laptop and then pulled the plug on the back of the modem, plugged the cable into my PC and turned the modem on, and would you belive i now have internet back on my PC.

To make sure it was'nt a fluke i dis-connected the cable from my pc and turned the modem off and reconnected it to my laptop, turned the modem on and internet on my laptop works, and then repeated the process back to my PC to test if that is the case and it still works.

I would never of believed that you would have to turn the modem off when switching between computers so i think im going to get my self a HUB so that i can connect both wothout having to turn the modem off each time i want to use the internet on either machine.

Again a big thankyou to all that posted suggestions on the fix and if anyone in the future suffers from the same problem i had then i can tell them the solution that fixed mine and that it was down to some helpful people on Cableforum.co.uk.

:) :) :) :) :)

JohnHorb
06-11-2005, 11:36
Erm - a desktop hub will not help. When you connect a PC to the modem, the modem associates an IP address with the network interface in the PC (which has a unique internal address - a MAC address). The modem will only issue one IP address. If you unplug the PC and plug in another, the modem does not recognise it, as it has a different MAC address. Power cycling the modem breaks the connection, and the modem, when powered up, associates the IP address with the currently-connected PC. If you use a hub, all that will happen is that the modem will associate the IP address with ONE of the PCs - the other will not be able to connect. What you need is not a hub, but a router. With a router, the modem associates the IP address with the MAC address of the router. The router then handles redirecting traffic to the conneced PCs. (If you do decide to get a router, make sure it is JUST a router, not one with a built-in ADSL modem, as these don't work with cable).

xylodrum
06-11-2005, 12:01
I've been experience a similar problems (i.e. INbound traffic but no OUTbound traffic) since my Terayon was replaced by a new 250. Typically this happens once every couple of days but in the last week it's been once or twice a day. Only solution appears to be power cycling the modem. I am using a homebrew linux-based firewall/router. What appears to be happening is the modem stops responding to arp requests

K!ngK!ll3r
06-11-2005, 14:46
What you need is not a hub, but a router. With a router, the modem associates the IP address with the MAC address of the router. The router then handles redirecting traffic to the conneced PCs. (If you do decide to get a router, make sure it is JUST a router, not one with a built-in ADSL modem, as these don't work with cable).

Thanks for the info :)