PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Connection

toastiest
03-11-2005, 11:30
For the past month or so, we've been experiencing very inconsistent internet connection. We're on the 1mb contract. At some times (mostly after midnight), the connection is very good with no problems at all; however, most of the time the connection is very slow and we are logged on and off msn repeatedly.

What generally happens is it gets so bad that we reset both the purple box and router at the same time and the connection will be ok again for a short time. Sometimes, even after reset, the connection is as poor as before.

There is a probability that it is the router but how do I go about checking whether it is an ntl issue? I've tried calling them (waited in queue for 15 minutes then about 20 mins for them to communicate with our box) and they claim that one of the computers on the network has a virus. But all of the computers have antivirus software and have run checks regularly. Is this something that they say in order to confuse and get rid of us?

Would all the work on increasing speeds to 10mb be affecting normal connections?

Is it possible that we have reach some sort of bandwidth cap and hence the slowing down of connection? I dont think we're entirely sure whether we have a cap or not. We just got the 29.75 pounds for all three deal.
Ah help please. This is so frustrating.

Derek
03-11-2005, 11:31
:welcome: to the site

If you connect 1 computer to the modem directly and miss out the router does the problem change at all?

What model of router are you using? I had a very similar issue with a Linksys one and updating the firmware on it solved the problem.