PDA

View Full Version : VPN Not allowed? Show me where it says in T&C!?

phully
28-10-2003, 00:55
Hey all

Some of you may or not know me (im the one who for 2 1/2 years has had free 600KB broadband due to cock ups at NTL's hands and they have forgotten bout me)

Anyway, i have a friend who works for a software company, now and again he dials into work using a VPN connection.

I have glanced at a few things in this forum, some of which say that a VPN is banned and against the T&C.

Can someone please show me where it says this, well IF it says this.

Thanks in advance,

- Aaron

phully
28-10-2003, 01:02
If anyone has any information it would be great.

Just looking for some clarification.

Shaun
28-10-2003, 01:05
I can't see anything about VPN being banned in any of the threads here:

http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/search.php?searchid=7765

Sorry :(

grum1978
28-10-2003, 01:07
Hey all

Some of you may or not know me (im the one who for 2 1/2 years has had free 600KB broadband due to cock ups at NTL's hands and they have forgotten bout me)

Anyway, i have a friend who works for a software company, now and again he dials into work using a VPN connection.

I have glanced at a few things in this forum, some of which say that a VPN is banned and against the T&C.

Can someone please show me where it says this, well IF it says this.

Thanks in advance,

- Aaron

take a look here (http://www.ntlworld.com/legals/user-policy.htm) section 18 clearly states you can use VPN but no technical support will be offered etc..

phully
28-10-2003, 01:10
Thanks for your help

So basically, it IS allowed. If any of NTL's services are affected by the VPN then they can instruct me to cease my VPN

Why/how could it affect NTL's network.

Jon M
28-10-2003, 01:13
VPN traffic is fairly bandwidth intensive.. thats the only logical reason they could have against it

grum1978
28-10-2003, 01:14
Thanks for your help

So basically, it IS allowed. If any of NTL's services are affected by the VPN then they can instruct me to cease my VPN

Why/how could it affect NTL's network.

I don't know to be honest, this is however a standard clause all ISP's will put in to prevent any usage that will damage/affect their network. To be honest I wouldn't worry about it unless ntl contact you as you could be worring for nothing :)

HTH

phully
28-10-2003, 01:19
Yea, well as i said a friend of mine uses it quite often, e.g. when he is on-site etc.

Just something i think that needed to be clarified. Surely a VPN is less intensive than say someone downloading movies all day long.

That would use up all of their allocated bandwithe where a VPN would rarely use 100% of the allocated bandwithe 100% of the day.

If it would degrade their network, then surely downloading movies and P2P programs would be degrading it?

Thanks for your input.

grum1978
28-10-2003, 01:27
Yea, well as i said a friend of mine uses it quite often, e.g. when he is on-site etc.

Just something i think that needed to be clarified. Surely a VPN is less intensive than say someone downloading movies all day long.

That would use up all of their allocated bandwithe where a VPN would rarely use 100% of the allocated bandwithe 100% of the day.

If it would degrade their network, then surely downloading movies and P2P programs would be degrading it?

Thanks for your input.

yes agreed those people can affect the network also if you read section 2h it has an advised download limit as well :)

aliferste
28-10-2003, 09:34
Funny that though..........I remember seeing the part that spoke about VPN...didnt say you couldnt have one, just said they would not support it and you would have to stop using it if they asked!

aliferste
28-10-2003, 09:37
oops....i didnt read post 4 !!

zoombini
28-10-2003, 12:03
MEthinks that your biggest problem will be getting it working, not if NTL allow it.

Nemesis
28-10-2003, 12:33
MEthinks that your biggest problem will be getting it working, not if NTL allow it.
I run a VPN from home to work with no issues. :D

Tricky
28-10-2003, 19:00
I run a VPN from home to work with no issues. :D

Me too never heard a bean from them!