PDA

View Full Version : New install - what will I get ?

simondavo
02-11-2005, 13:33
I am a relative novice but I have been monitoring this forum for a couple of weeks.

I am already a broadband customer and will be having tv/telephone installed in Luton on Saturday afternoon.

I am concerned at the reliability of the boxes i.e. Pace. What should I expect to have installed ? It appears that the Samaung is the box to have.

Are there any other things that I need to ask for or look out for when the install is in progress ?

Cheers.

Chris W
02-11-2005, 13:36
depends what type of box the installer has on the van... could be either a PACE or Samsung.... Lucky dip in most places.

Chris
02-11-2005, 13:39
I am a relative novice but I have been monitoring this forum for a couple of weeks.

I am already a broadband customer and will be having tv/telephone installed in Luton on Saturday afternoon.

I am concerned at the reliability of the boxes i.e. Pace. What should I expect to have installed ? It appears that the Samaung is the box to have.

Are there any other things that I need to ask for or look out for when the install is in progress ?

Cheers.

Make sure you know in advance where you want the cable point to be on the wall, and if there is likely to be any difficulty running the cable, do your best to clear it out the way before the install tech arrives. They can be funny, for example, about installing in a room in a terrace which is on the far side of the house from where the cable comes in from the street.

As for the STB ... hope for a Samsung, although I hear they are still getting rid of a few Paces.

simondavo
02-11-2005, 13:45
We are having an additional box installed at the back of the house. Will the installers go over the roof to get the cable there ?

Cheers.

Chris
02-11-2005, 13:45
We are having an additional box installed at the back of the house. Will the installers go over the roof to get the cable there ?

Cheers.

Unlikely, but what they will be prepared to do will depend on what floor the extra box is going in?

SMHarman
02-11-2005, 13:46
Can they go round the side?

simondavo
Ground floor.

Chris
Ground floor.

ground floor of a terrace?

simondavo
02-11-2005, 13:47
They can't go round the side as we have an adjoining garage.

Chris
02-11-2005, 13:48
They can't go round the side as we have an adjoining garage.

Why can't they go round the outside of the garage?

Chris W
02-11-2005, 13:50
Why can't they go round the outside of the garage?

or round the other side of the house...

Neil
02-11-2005, 14:13
**Moved to ntl Installation Discussion forum**

atlantis
02-11-2005, 14:24
Don't know if it works for everybody, but here's how I got my nice new Silver Samsung.
On first install, guy arrived with Samsung, they looked nice, but he couldn't get it work (wouldn't download/hold codes?) so I was given the dreadfull Pace STB, long story cut short, it didn't work, so rang the mobile number given to me by my 1st installer (pace), complained, and was told I'd be getting replacement, I asked for another samsung, as the Pace looked reconditioned, was told I'll get what's on the van, told him no way, get me the new equipment, or come back and remove everything now!
Yep, got it OK, guys even laid cable neatly through from front of house (cable entry point) through to back room where tv lives, and placed it neatly into white plastic conduit I'd put in place ready for them, so moral of story, be a pushy ba****rd, and it should work out OK for you.

Chris W
02-11-2005, 14:36
<snip>

unless of course there are no samsungs in the store... push all you like, but a tech can't magic a box out of thin air.

atlantis
02-11-2005, 14:51
unless of course there are no samsungs in the store... push all you like, but a tech can't magic a box out of thin air.

Agree Chris, that's why I rang NTL on it's 0800-052-2000 number, after the mobile number, and ensured what was coming was what I wanted, as I said, may not work for anyone else, but as it did for me, just thought I'd mention it:)

After all, if it works for installers for Sky, who wouldn't dare bring a reconditioned box to your home, even the subcontractors they use at busy times, will only install a new, sealed, never before used box, should we expect any less of NTL, esp. if they want to compete in the open market place and increase customer numbers and revenues?

simondavo
02-11-2005, 15:05
We live in a semi-detached house and the garage joins the house with no gap on the other side i.e. the garage goes up tour boundary line.

Cheers.

Chris
02-11-2005, 15:06
We live in a semi-detached house and the garage joins the house with no gap on the other side i.e. the garage goes up tour boundary line.

Cheers.

Right ... in that case, your best bet is to decide where you want the cable run to go, because it's going to have to go round the skirting board and then through the wall, unless you fancy lifting floorboards before the install tech gets there.

simondavo
02-11-2005, 15:11
Would they go over the garage to get to the back as it is only single storey ?

Chris
02-11-2005, 15:23
Would they go over the garage to get to the back as it is only single storey ?

The bloke who did my house said they won't go over a roof because the cable is a trip hazard that some other tradesman might one day snag his foot on. Presumably that applies to your garage roof as well as the house roof itself. I don't know though, I've never been 100% convinced he wasn't feeding me BS just to give himself an easier job. You can only ask!

simondavo
02-11-2005, 15:40
Probably a stupid question ....

We already have broadband installed at the back of the house (it was put in before the garage was built). Would this cable only handle the broadband or would it carry the television cables as well ? Would we need an additional cable ? Does this make sense ?

homealone
02-11-2005, 15:46
Probably a stupid question ....

We already have broadband installed at the back of the house (it was put in before the garage was built). Would this cable only handle the broadband or would it carry the television cables as well ? Would we need an additional cable ? Does this make sense ?

not stupid at all - it will depend on the quality of the cable, but if it isn't up to scratch they may be able to 're-pull' a suitable one. They would then split the connectors on the cable to give you your TV point.

- I had a similar thing where I had TV installed at the back of the house & they split the cable when I had broadband installed.