PDA

View Full Version : Could Somebody Consolodate Support Techniques

neo123
01-11-2005, 21:11
Hi, Im just requesting a very nice support tech. if they could post the common info they will tell a customer to do. For example i got told netsh winsock reset, i have no idea what that actually does even. I doubt i will get a positive response to this as usual.. but i would really like to see a list, and how NTL 'works' so to speak. Just a thought, mods u can delete if you feel i am irrelevant.

atlantis
01-11-2005, 21:30
Link here:

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/winsock.htm

Chris W
01-11-2005, 22:19
It really depends on the problem....

There is a sensible way of approaching a problem, which is to start with a list of X things and work through them until you have solved the issue. However, with experience, tech's will learn which things to do for which problems, or what is most likely to cause a problem and skip straight to that.

From the fix that you have mentioned, i guess that you either had a valid ip address, but couldn't browse, or had an ip address starting 169?

neo123
01-11-2005, 22:26
In my case it was at my dads house.. i updated his speed for him, and they didnt send the signal down properly.. i phoned back and the dept. was closed i needed. But they told me to do that first, as did another technician.

I just think knowledge is power in my world, and it would be intresting if somebody compiled a concise knowledge book for everyone to see, knowing how the tech support works.

Chris W
01-11-2005, 22:35
I just think knowledge is power in my world, and it would be intresting if somebody compiled a concise knowledge book for everyone to see, knowing how the tech support works.

ntl already have ;) it won't be released into the public domain though!

carlingman
01-11-2005, 22:37
ntl already have ;) it won't be released into the public domain though!

Would that be called a script.

:nono: hush my mouth of course they do not use them.

;)

Chris W
01-11-2005, 22:45
Would that be called a script.

:nono: hush my mouth of course they do not use them.

;)

no it's called a knowledge base ;) - similar to the one on the ms website, except obviously less information and more relevant.

Most tech's at ntl don't use it after the first month or so, except to check things that they have forgotten, look for alternative solutions etc.

Neil
02-11-2005, 09:02
Here's the list.....

1) Your PC has a virus.

2) Your PC is infected with spyware.

3) Your firewall is causing the problem.

4) You need to format & reinstall Windows.

HTH. :angel: