PDA

View Full Version : Use a live linux to help with BB issues

tweetiepooh
31-10-2005, 11:55
It's not new or perfect but it does help rule out a few problems when your BB is problematic and cs try to blame PC/software.

Get hold of a live linux distribution CD (or DVD) suitable for your PC. These don't touch your harddisk (well most don't) so your current setup is safe. They also will not contain any nasty malware that interferes or other good software that cs can blame. Just boot it up and see what happens. Most will probably use DHCP to configure your network, same as most people will use in windows. If the problem persists in linux then it's either hardware on PC, the STB/CM, cables or ntl. Swap cables if not done already just in case.

I dual boot between XP and linux and whenever I get the stuff about firewall or malware I can confirm/deny by using linux and getting same issue.

There is also a windoze live cd now I think that will give similar benefits.

Chris
31-10-2005, 11:58
I can just hear all the NTL CSRs brushing up the 'We don't support Linux' excuse. :erm:

Have you tried this technique out on the phone with them?

BBKing
31-10-2005, 13:05
Anyone for a live Mac OS X x86 CD?

Chris
31-10-2005, 13:11
Anyone for a live Mac OS X x86 CD?

Chance would be a fine thing ... AFAIK Apple is putting a chip on the motherboard of its x86 machines, without which OS X won't run. So no OS X on PCs. Until someone cracks it, that is. :D

Cilonen
31-10-2005, 13:27
Chance would be a fine thing ... AFAIK Apple is putting a chip on the motherboard of its x86 machines, without which OS X won't run. So no OS X on PCs. Until someone cracks it, that is. :D

According to several sites, someone cracked it a while back:
http://www.uneasysilence.com/os-x-proven-hacked-and-running-on-an-ordinary-pc/

for story and info.

markknell
31-10-2005, 14:18
It's not new or perfect but it does help rule out a few problems when your BB is problematic and cs try to blame PC/software.

Get hold of a live linux distribution CD (or DVD) suitable for your PC. These don't touch your harddisk (well most don't) so your current setup is safe. They also will not contain any nasty malware that interferes or other good software that cs can blame. Just boot it up and see what happens. Most will probably use DHCP to configure your network, same as most people will use in windows. If the problem persists in linux then it's either hardware on PC, the STB/CM, cables or ntl. Swap cables if not done already just in case.

I dual boot between XP and linux and whenever I get the stuff about firewall or malware I can confirm/deny by using linux and getting same issue.

There is also a windoze live cd now I think that will give similar benefits.

That's a good idea, I've used SLAX before and it works a treat on my PC. Here is a list of different Live Linux distributions for download if anyone is interested.

http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php

Graham M
31-10-2005, 14:21
Hehe ive been running OSx86 on this laptop for a while, its pretty sweet :D Tri-boot with Windows XP and Fedora Core 4 Linux

tweetiepooh
31-10-2005, 15:34
That's a cool list.

The advantage of a live CD over a installed version is that there is known start state. This is a real problem for all support folk in that even with a single OS or single manf's OS there are all sorts of modifications that may or may not be present.

Drivers upto date (problems with later drivers).
Malware running.
"Good" software that may "interfer".

A live CD of whatever persuasion can be made as required, even with no protections with minimal risk to the PC. So the boot without firewall/AV/security stuff running plugged directly to cable device becomes far less of a risk.

Maybe ntl need to work out a live CD and make the image available setup exactly how they require. It can have scripts etc on and tools for "users" to run and read back response in a controlled manner with know behaviour expected.

Doesn't need to be fancy. Plain vanilla VGA/SVGA for graphics. Low memory requirment. DHCP client. Maybe even just text mode with auto scripts that tell user exactly what to do and expect. With some more work on ntl side it could check for planned work/known issues.

Gareth
01-11-2005, 12:45
That's a very good idea, tweetie. I can see the benefits of having this kind of thing shipped along with the NTL installation CD. It wouldn't necessarily cost NTL much to design and distribute, and I should imagine the time, and therefore costs, saved by NTL's call centre people would outweigh the financial outlay of producing such a CD.

The only problem I can think of is that I remember seeing NTL being used as part of Microsoft's "Tell the Truth" advertising campaign saying how much cheaper/better/sexier Windows is compared to Linux. :rolleyes:

tweetiepooh
01-11-2005, 13:04
That's the TCO campaign Micromuse is running.

This would be a different issue totally and our area in ntl is nearly totally Solaris and that can create fun when interacting with IT. "Sorry but we don't have NTLM, we use Solaris." They can usually accomodate though fair play to them.

Linux Format mag next month will show how to roll own distro. Maybe that will give a clue how to go about it.