PDA

View Full Version : How far do you drive to work? Any horror stories?

pop80_uk
30-10-2005, 12:15
Hey Guys and Gals.

Im about to start a new job which is 45mins drive away from where I live everyday. Im used to working very close to where I live and being able to cycle to work or walk. But obviously this option is removed now.
Its also a new job with a county council, so parking is very very tricky.

So my question to you people is, How far do you drive to work? Ever had any bad experiences? Do you have a trouble with parking?

Thanks ! ;)

patrickp
30-10-2005, 12:23
Me? No, I walk. But are there no public transport options? I know public transport can be a pain/horror, but it's got to be worth checking out.

Other than that, you may find someone (or ones...) at work live near you and sharing might be an option.

Good luck with the new job!

Paul K
30-10-2005, 12:25
When I have no lift in to work I have a 30 min bus ride into the town center and then a 12 minute train journey followed by a 15 minute walk to where I work. Could get the bus there but it would probably take an hour just to get to where I have to walk from lol.

Chimaera
30-10-2005, 12:29
I work for the local Council and as I'm classed as an 'essential car user' (as I have to transport stuff around for my job) then I get a pass to park in the Council car park.
On a good day (like school holidays!) it takes around 25 minutes to get there. On a school day, anything up to an hour - and if the M25/A13/A12/A127 have anything going on - it would be best to stay at home!
The longest it has taken me to get to work was an hour and a half - and it's only about 8 miles! :Yikes:

BBKing
30-10-2005, 12:31
I do ok - about half an hour in the morning but it's up to an hour or so (worse on bad days) coming back into London in the evening. Train (occasional use) is an hour and twenty minutes. Mind you, a friend of mine lives in North London and works in Henley-on-Thames, which involves him driving round about 2/3 of the North Circular, then the A40 and back every day. Takes him about 2 1/2 hours each way. Oddly enough, he's looking to move soon! So 45 minutes regularly isn't too much trouble, the really frustrating journeys are where the time is variable and you never know when you're going to have a really bad journey for no reason.

Parking's generally fine at both ends, but the later I get back home the harder it is.

Escapee
30-10-2005, 12:42
Mine is a 60 mile trip, it takes an hour and ten to get in and about an hour and twenty to get home. The trip is not bad with 90% being dual carraigeway/motorway, the M50 is not to bad for traffic as I make an early start to and from work. Train and bus is out of the question, the railway station is a 5 min walk from my works, but there is no train early enough and there is no train until an hour and a quarter after I finish work. The car journey of just over an hour is a pain, but not as bad as 2 and a half hours, three changes and highway robbery prices on the train.

Parking is a big problem in work, Tewkesbury council are very odd. The company has a high percentage of long distance commuters such as myself, but they only allow a company to have something like 100 car spaces for 300 employees. The company owns a large piece of land and were looking to build a large facility, unfortunately the silly planning rules mean its a no go.
Councils with this sort of attitude deserve to lose companies from the area.

Re-location.... No thanks, Tewkesbury is one of those places that middle aged/elderly people enjoy for a wander around. the place is the pits if you want anything like some DIY stuff etc, everyone who lives there must travel 10 miles to the nearest B&Q. Its the same lunchtime, a terrible place to get food.

My collegue relocated there and hates the place, so do many who live outside and commute.

eddie00001
30-10-2005, 12:42
I work about 40miles from where I live and the commute takes anything from an hour to 1.5hrs

Ramrod
30-10-2005, 13:06
Well, atm, if I had to drag myself to work using my lips it would take me about a minute :p:
...........but in the past I have also done the M25/A12 etc journey and it was hellish at times. The less you have to drive (in the SE) the better...

Tuftus
30-10-2005, 14:43
I drive about 30 miles to wor each day and it takes about an hour, except in school holidays when it takes 30-45 minutes.

Numerous routes, all clogged up with jams and when I get there I have to be there 30 minutes before I start to get a free parking space or its £2.50 for pay and display....

MikeyB
30-10-2005, 16:41
I work 30 miles away from home, and it takes about 45 mins.
But then, when I used to work here across town, used to take about 40 mins to do the 5 or 6 miles, and I'd rather be moving than sat going nowhere.

In school term it's only another 5-10 mins at most because I tend to go in early, and then leave earlier, which is nice!

I'd dread to think how long, and how much it would cost, to get there & back using public transport.

Only thing I will say, you do see a lot of absolutely stupid, and outright dangerous driving travelling that far twice a day.

Russ
30-10-2005, 16:48
I do about a mile and a half.

Angua
30-10-2005, 16:49
Hey Guys and Gals.

Im about to start a new job which is 45mins drive away from where I live everyday. Im used to working very close to where I live and being able to cycle to work or walk. But obviously this option is removed now.
Its also a new job with a county council, so parking is very very tricky.

So my question to you people is, How far do you drive to work? Ever had any bad experiences? Do you have a trouble with parking?

Thanks ! ;)

A friend of mine used to cycle 20 miles to work and back.:Yikes:

You might find there is a method of organising a car share with others at the council as they are very keen (for the most part on green travel plans).

BTW I do 10 miles each way by car (in around 20 minutes) because I work part time (so sharing is not an option) and it is not on a direct bus route.

pop80_uk
30-10-2005, 18:17
Its all very interesting thus far keep em coming!

Thanks

Hom3r
30-10-2005, 18:35
As winter is around the corner I would keep the following in the car, incase you get stranded or cannot get home due to bad weather.

A bag of extra clothes in the boot.
A a blanket in the car.
A thermos of Tea/Coffee/Soup.
A bag of food.
Make sure you mobile and hands free are fully charged.

Stuart
30-10-2005, 18:35
Well, I can't drive, and no-one at work lives near me, so car sharing is not an option.

But, door to door, using the most direct route (which means going through Greenwich park, which isn't open to cars in the morning rush hour), my journey is 15 miles. I go by train & DLR, and I did as close as a could to the same route in the car and it was just over 21 miles.

How long it takes? I can, if I am lucky and don't have to wait, do it in 40 minutes or less.

jrhnewark
30-10-2005, 20:37
A friend of mine used to cycle 20 miles to work and back.:Yikes:But isn't David Cameron's constit fairly flat? :D

Ahh, I do 40 miles round-trip a day - that's either via car (lift) or bus. It'll be by car once I've passed my test. :)

tkiely
30-10-2005, 20:51
50 mile round trip for me, most days by trusty CB500, even in winter.

however, loads of ebay to post tommorow so its the gas guzzler for me!!!

Charlie_Bubble
30-10-2005, 20:54
I drive about 19 miles to work along probably the worst part of the M25, Junction 11 to Junction 15 and then a short way along the M4. The longest it's ever taken me was over 3 hours. Normally it takes about an hour.

greencreeper
30-10-2005, 22:31
I gentle 30 minute stroll to work for me :D I don't drive and public transport would take twice as long and still leave me with a 10 minute walk.

Chris
30-10-2005, 22:43
25 miles, about an hour in the rush (40-45 minutes during the day!). Office employs about 350 people and has parking for 47. :disturbd: . Those of us who aren't important enough to have an allocated space have to phone each afternoon to try to book one for the following day. Much stabbing of the redial button ensues as everone tries to be first to get one of the few available spaces available for the next day.

Chris W
30-10-2005, 22:52
45miles each way for me... (daily).

round the north circular, hanger lane, chiswick roundabout then the m4...

on a monday morning it can take 2hours easily enough, but on a sunday it can be done in about an hour...

hence i am looking for a new job ;)

Paul
30-10-2005, 23:11
I currently work nights meaning the 12 mile trip takes about 25 minutes. On the occasions I have to go in on days it takes about 50 minutes, about three miles of that is just one long queue.