PDA

View Full Version : Ntl Broadband Cd Installation Problems

eg0head
29-10-2005, 18:56
i just gt ntl broadband today and i have problems with my installation CD my modem works fine but because i typed in wrong details 4 registration and there was no back utton but the 3 rd time i tried to do another option on the ntl installer program i did the same thing again so i exited the program for the 3rd time and it said closing but it was taking ages to close so i jst shut off the pc (wndows XP) and i didnt save any files i jst clicked continue and then the following 5 times the program ran but the screen was white and that annoyin box came it did'mnt go off and the program pictures and text etc did'nt come up . i even waited a half-hour for the darn thing to work but nope that small box saying closing was still on. plz help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thankyou in advance ppl

MovedGoalPosts
29-10-2005, 19:12
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

First things first. How are you connecting the modem to the PC - are you using USB, or Ethernet - the latter could make life a lot easier, as the ntl CD won't be essential.

You do only have one computer that you are trying to connect. Is it the same one as you used to post this thread, presumably using dial up?

If you have rebooted the PC, make sure you also reboot the modem so everything gets reset. Try uninstalling whatever may have been installed, partially, by ntl - go into the control panel > add/remove prgrams, and remove any software there from ntl. Alternatively you may need to get into windows safe mode (press F8 shortly after the computer is restarted, but before it starts to display the first windows logo screen). You can try deleting software in safe mode.

This Article (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/article.php?a=13) shows you how to setup without using the ntl CD.

eg0head
30-10-2005, 09:27
first of all thanyou for youre reply. second of all i have and use a usb connection and will get a ethernet connection once my broadband is up and running. ok i will do what u said about unplugging my modem etc even though it is connected when ui plug it in a again will it say found new hardware ie, usb modem because i deleted the usb from my windows xp. and by power down pc and usb modem (mine is the black one ) do you mean disconnect wires etc from modem and turn computer off for 10 minutes(not disconnecting any wires from pc except usb cable) i am using only one computer the computer specs are up-to date to handle ntl broadband(2mb) and i wrote my thread yesterday and today using ntl dial-up , and can you do the registration process without the ntl cd without using Ethernet? and does the info actually go to ntl because i dont want someone using my ntl account and can i do those steps you mentioned using ethernet even though i have and will use a usb connection???
thankyou very much

bayonet
30-10-2005, 09:50
Hi eg0head

Here is an XP walkthrough on how to check if your modem is installed or the drivers are corrupted (nothing to worry about )

Select the control panel classic view ->System->Hardware->Device Manager->Check Network Adapters or other devices.

There should be an Ambit modem in one of these, if either has any errors on it i.e yellow question mark or exclamation mark then right click the modem make sure you have the CD in the drive and USB cable plugged in .

From the small menu select Update Drivers and if it asks to connect to the internet say No not at this time and follow this Automatic install option.

When it has finished installing the modem should now be found in Device Manger without the error. If it is go to Network Connections in the Control Panel and check if you have a Local Area Connection enabled with modem name on it

If so right click the icon and Select Status->Support and check the IP address the last number of that IP address should end in a number between 248 and 253.

Close Control Panel and make sure any Anti Virus and firewalls are off, it is safe. Open Internet Explorer and type this IP into the address bar 80.5.178.26 you'll either get a Security alert or the registration screen.

Accepting the alert screen will get you to the registration screen as well. Check Robin Walker's site on this forum also if you get stuck.

If you get to your personal details page it takes about 5 minutes from there to complete registration. You will see a screen at the end informing you that the modem will reboot, before going on the web make sure you enable your Anti Virus and Firewall a reboot of your PC should sort that out

Check for any updates and download them

P.S. Sorry it's the clocks going back nearly forgot:) If you don't have the errors I mentioned go from checking the IP address part of this post

grimboj
30-10-2005, 22:06
As long as you only completed the installation once you should be alright in terms of details sent to ntl.