PDA

View Full Version : National Insurance - how does that work?

Russ
26-10-2003, 22:21
After having one of those aimless conversations with a mate that ramble on and never seem to go anywhere, but do you know how National Insurance numbers are made up? For example, what part of it relates to the year of birth?

Ramrod
26-10-2003, 22:49
After having one of those aimless conversations with a mate that ramble on and never seem to go anywhere, but do you know how National Insurance numbers are made up? For example, what part of it relates to the year of birth?I have never given it any thought.....:D
Though I found this (http://www.britain.org.nz/general/natins.html)

idi banashapan
26-10-2003, 23:29
I reckon it's COMPLETELY random, like the government and running of this country!!!!!

Maggy
27-10-2003, 00:27
Well be very careful about it and with it.

My sister got into a problem over hers.For years she was paying her contribution to the WRONG number all because some drip somewhere altered it by mistake.It took her years to realise the mistake and for a while there it looked like she wasn't going to get her pension.Luckily they have managed to go all the way back to the original mistake and sort it(being self employed for so many years she kept everything so she had proof)so as from next February she gets her pension.

Incog. :)

homealone
27-10-2003, 00:51
Well be very careful about it and with it.

My sister got into a problem over hers.For years she was paying her contribution to the WRONG number all because some drip somewhere altered it by mistake.It took her years to realise the mistake and for a while there it looked like she wasn't going to get her pension.Luckily they have managed to go all the way back to the original mistake and sort it(being self employed for so many years she kept everything so she had proof)so as from next February she gets her pension.

Incog. :)

nice one incog - good on your sister.

zoombini
27-10-2003, 09:33
Just like the benifits of national insurance..

A complete mystery to everyone except some government chappy.

gary_580
27-10-2003, 10:26
I believe (bujt could be wrong) they are allocated as a sequentially increasing number with either A,B,C or D added to the end. from memory i think one of the digits is a check digit too

Chris
27-10-2003, 11:40
The blue and red plastic card you get is an overhang from a farcical attempt in the 1980s to streamline the process of claiming benefits etc ... you were meant to be able to have the card swiped to get services you were entitled to (sound familiar?). It never worked. My card snapped in two quite some time ago. I had never been asked for it up to then and I have never been asked for it since.

SMHarman
27-10-2003, 12:23
I believe (bujt could be wrong) they are allocated as a sequentially increasing number with either A,B,C or D added to the end. from memory i think one of the digits is a check digit too

I'm pretty sure thats the case.

Its the driver licence number that has the DOB in the middle.
FFFFF-nnnnnn-GGGCC
F - first 5 chars of family name (or 9? if less than 5)
n - scrambled DOB
G - Give Name initials (or 9 if less than 3)
C - Check characters. Bit of a secret how they are calculated. Prevents copies of Driver numbers being made easily.

gary_580
27-10-2003, 12:33

OH yeah, and if you have a temporary NI number it will end with and M or an F

SMHarman
27-10-2003, 12:55
OH yeah, and if you have a temporary NI number it will end with and M or an F

Those will be your DOB.

TNDDMMYY(M/F)