PDA

View Full Version : two ip addresses assigned to cable modem.

fabkat
27-10-2005, 14:21
Hello.

Have been getting really bad downloads speeds on my 10mb connection - 30kb/s.

Phoned up telewest support and they said i had two ip addresses assigned to my cable modem. Any ideas how this could happen.

Its now with 2nd line & waiting to sort out the bad download speed.

Cheers

pogo209
13-11-2005, 20:03
hi, first off im new here so hello to all.
i have the blueyonder broadband cable 1m package hoping itll soon be upgraded to 4m and i live in the falkirk area of scotland.
thot id have a look around to see if anyone was having the same problem as i have before i started a seperate thread, and what do you know - someones got same kinda problem as me.
i play an online game, and recently i have been getting packet loss and experiencing higher pings then ever before. using a feature of the game used to check sys. info such as ping and packet loss etc. i can see that i am getting packet loss inbound and outbound from my machine sometimes as high as 28%. also using online speed checks i can see my download speed is way lower then it should be also.
and to top it all off, it now appears that i have two ip addresses. my old one is still showing whenever i connect to the IRC server i use, but when playing online my ip is totally different, so i used various online checks and indeed it seems i have two ip addresses now.
so basically i was wondering if this could be anything to do with telewest being in the middle of upgrading in my area or if perhaps there could be another explanation ie my machine being used as a proxy and spoofing a second ip.
any info would be great thanks and if anyone needs more specific info about my setup etc just ask.
cheers again for your time.

Chris W
13-11-2005, 20:44
@ fabkat- :welcome: I missed your thread when you posted it, but it sounds like your modem's mac address has been cloned. I don't know how telewest deal with this, but ntl send an engineer with a replacement modem. Have your problems now been sorted?

@ pogo209- :welcome: as well! It sounds like you are referring to the ip address assigned to your pc, rather than that of the cable modem. Can you post the first part of the two ip addresses that you are getting- eg 81.101.23.XXX . It may be that some of the tests you are running are reporting the ip address of a proxy server that you are going through, rather than your own ip. Although it appears that you aren't going through a proxy at the moment. Hmm.....

If you open a command promt (assuming you are using windows) and type

nslookup xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

Where the X's are the ip address that you get from your checks, does it return an address in the format:

xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.ubrXX.XX.blueyonder.co.uk ?

pogo209
14-11-2005, 02:49
old/usual ip - 82.41.xxx.xxx
new/second ip - 62.30.xxx.xxx
i have checked and both versions of my ip end in the format you specified -
xxx-xxx-xxx-xxx.ubrXX.XX.blueyonder.co.uk
yes i am using windows - winxp sp1
and norton internet security.
btw im pretty sure i have a dynamic ip as the last two sets of numbers do change every few months, as far as i know 82.41.xxx.xxx has always been the first two sets for my ip. until this new second ip appeared over the past two or 3 days.
heh oh and thanks for the speedy reply.

v0id
15-11-2005, 02:22
you could be routed to a temp ubr, while there's work being done in your area to prepare for the 10 Meg upgrade.

pogo209
15-11-2005, 03:38
TY void.
i was thinking something like this could have happened while they upgrade my area. work on the lines etc is what i was putting all my probs down to as ive never had this problem to this extent before. ok i occasionaly get a few % packet loss for a few hours now and then, but never like this.
oh and it my ping and the packetloss do seem a lot better at this time in the morning ie 2 am ish.
so could it be that the temp ubr cant handle the daytime traffic so well and this results in my higher ping and packet loss? and would this explain why my ip has changed (also meaning that the ip will revert back once work has finished?) until returning to the old ubr?