PDA

View Full Version : Asking the big one?

liamboyle06
26-10-2005, 14:54
Hi All, may sound stupid(not to me) but am thinking of asking the big Question to my GF this weekend. We are going away for a Murder Mystery Weekend with some family and Friends, I was originally going to do it in a few weeks time on her B'day but htink it might be more apprpoiate.

Question is, what should I look out for when buying the ring?, Her and her sister have very similar tastes, would it be worth bringing her sister up for advice?

homealone
26-10-2005, 15:00
myself I would get a cheap 'token' ring to seal the moment, when you 'pop the question', then say you can both go & choose the 'proper' one together.

- this could be the start of the process of you being wrong, whatever you do ;)

Nugget
26-10-2005, 15:04
myself I would get a cheap 'token' ring to seal the moment, when you 'pop the question', then say you can both go & choose the 'proper' one together.

- this could be the start of the process of you being wrong, whatever you do ;)

What do you mean, 'could' ;)

As for doing it (ooer) on the Mystery Weekend, just make sure you're not the one who dies - that'll put a right crimp in your plans :disturbd:

Chris
26-10-2005, 15:08
Question is, what should I look out for when buying the ring?, Her and her sister have very similar tastes, would it be worth bringing her sister up for advice?

Absolutely no way should you ask her sister. She will be totally incapable of keeping such a secret. That's just women for you. ;) (/dons flameproof suit :D )

As a guide, spend a month's salary on the ring, and don't even think about that purveyor of chav jewellery, Lizzie Duke at Argos. Go to a quality high street retailer like Beaverbrooks. A smaller, higher quality diamond is nicer than a larger, poorer one. Any member of staff at a quality jeweller will be happy to explain the mysteries of diamond quality to you.

If you're really not sure of your GF's taste in expensive jewellery (and this really should be expensive, even if it's the only expensive jewellery you ever buy), then do as Homealone suggests and use a token for the question and then go shopping together.

Of course, buying the ring yourself avoids embarrassment when she starts pointing out rings worth twice what you can afford in the shop window. ;)

Do you know her ring size?

Maggy
26-10-2005, 15:09
I'm with homealone on this one.You should choose the ring together..start your life together as a couple who make decisions together. :tu:

liamboyle06
26-10-2005, 15:19
Do you know her ring size?

Unfortunatley not, another reason I was going to take her sister :erm: .
I have a fair bit saved up for it, and was not even going to consider something cheap.

We have already bought a house together and am now just looking to make it all proper.

monkey2468
26-10-2005, 15:20
I'm with homealone on this one.You should choose the ring together..start your life together as a couple who make decisions together. :tu:

Thats what me and my wife did.

Nugget
26-10-2005, 15:39
Thats what me and my wife did.

I bet she told you to say that ;)

monkey2468
26-10-2005, 15:47
I bet she told you to say that ;)
Well, she still makes by bait for work, so I do whatever she tells me!;)

Nugget
26-10-2005, 15:48
Well, she still amkes by bait for work, so I do whatever she tells me!;)

Your wifes not related to Mrs Nug, is she?

:D :p:

Angua
26-10-2005, 16:00
My Paul popped the question (without a ring) and we went to choose the ring together later. This is the most usual way amongst all the people I have known get engaged (one couple even went to Australia to get their rings).

Halcyon
26-10-2005, 16:00
Do you really need a ring for this bit ? How about you offer her something else instead and then you can go shopping for it together.
I hope it works out for you and wish you the best of luck.

handyman
26-10-2005, 16:08
If you want I can send you the address of the people I got claires ring from. They hand made it to my design and because its not got the 600% mark-up the high street guys use we got twice the ice for the cash.

Claire boshed it and the diamond came out and they sent someone round to collected it and fixed it added more gold to the mount repolished it and brought it back.

Outstanding service.

Orior
26-10-2005, 16:09
Liam,
As they say in Derry hi, "c'mawn to fcuk big lad, ur wan big sissy hi".
What do ya wanna get married for, has Derry hi not enough troubles hi?

handyman
26-10-2005, 16:10
And can you not borrow one of her rings from her jewellry box to get the size?

Ramrod
26-10-2005, 16:12
Good luck Liam, whatever you decide to do. :tu: :)

Chris
26-10-2005, 16:13
Do you really need a ring for this bit ? How about you offer her something else instead and then you can go shopping for it together.
I hope it works out for you and wish you the best of luck.

:Yikes:

Oh my sainted aunt ... don't nobody let that boy pop the question until he's grown up and learned the ways of the world. :erm: :D

Mate, you even *think* about asking a young lady to marry her without something on your person that you can place on the third finger of her left hand, and you had better be very worried about the safety of your testicles.

There are certain things in life that you just don't do. Proposing without a ring is one of them. It doesn't have to be *the* ring, but you have to have *a* ring. She will want to recount the story of the proposal for years afterwards and if you're not down on one knee with a ring in your hand, well ... nuff said. :D

danielf
26-10-2005, 16:19
There are certain things in life that you just don't do. Proposing without a ring is one of them. It doesn't have to be *the* ring, but you have to have *a* ring. She will want to recount the story of the proposal for years afterwards and if you're not down on one knee with a ring in your hand, well ... nuff said. :D

I did... :shrug: I never got her one either (apart from the actual wedding ring that is)

Chris
26-10-2005, 16:20
I did... :shrug: I never got her one either (apart from the actual wedding ring that is)

In which case I would say you're lucky to be alive :D

danielf
26-10-2005, 16:22
In which case I would say you're lucky to be alive :D

Nah, it didn't bother her one bit. She was just pleased I finally gave in to marrying her (we'd been together for ages).

Nugget
26-10-2005, 16:28

Oh my sainted aunt ... don't nobody let that boy pop the question until he's grown up and learned the ways of the world. :erm: :D

Mate, you even *think* about asking a young lady to marry her without something on your person that you can place on the third finger of her left hand, and you had better be very worried about the safety of your testicles.

Look at this way - if halcyon does ever pop the question, after a couple of seconds he'll be able to wrap his testicles around her finger instead :erm: ;)

Gareth
26-10-2005, 16:36
Kinda like danielf says, my missus isn't materialistic and was just happy to be getting hitche... er, marrying me. If the most important thing to your other half is the size of her ring (oo-er missus :blush: ) then there's something fundamentally wrong in your relationship, in my opinion. :shrug:

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-10-2005, 16:44

you make it sound like she only has one finger:D

Theodoric
26-10-2005, 19:23
Strange. I've checked the whole thread and nowhere does it mention about him asking her father for the hand of his belovÃÃ*’¨d. Isn't that necessary any longer?

punky
26-10-2005, 20:36
Strange. I've checked the whole thread and nowhere does it mention about him asking her father for the hand of his belovÃÃ*’¨d. Isn't that necessary any longer?

Bloody hell mate, you wait til Incog or Marge reads that... :)

Chimaera
26-10-2005, 20:40

Or me! :ninja: ;)

Maggy
26-10-2005, 20:40

Oh he's excused on account of his great age... ;)

Halcyon
26-10-2005, 21:08

:D

Duly noted.
I will make sure I remember your wise words when I hopefully get married someday.

Pø†øƒGøLÐ
27-10-2005, 09:18
All my fingers are different sizes... not a great idea if you're trying to get one that will fit but might work for the "token ring" idea :confused:

Angua
27-10-2005, 10:56

Impossible in my case, as my father died when I was 13. He did ask my Mum the next day though.

As for the ring, it seems far more spontaneous to ask without a ring (or with something daft obtained at the last minute like a ring pull or keyring) and to me more romantic.

fireman328
27-10-2005, 11:06
Don't go its a trap !!!!!!

monkey2468
27-10-2005, 21:48
Don't go its a trap !!!!!!

Is that from experience, or are you paranoid?:D

Hom3r
27-10-2005, 22:44
I would ask her father (or mother) before you pop the question.

What my sister did after the big question she and hubby to be went and got custom built (handmade) wedding rings sorted. Her enagement & wedding ring sit side by side perfectly as the wedding ring has a cut out that matched the enagement ring.

ikthius
27-10-2005, 22:57
I wish I could help in this decission, but I am single, and it looks like I will be for some time :(

ik

liamboyle06
31-10-2005, 10:52
Hi All, Thankfully she accepted, i had called her father who was out in Thailand, and agreed with her mother before asking, but all is going well now

Chris
31-10-2005, 10:53
Hi All, Thankfully she accepted, i had called her father who was out in Thailand, and agreed with her mother before asking, but all is going well now

We're going to need more details than this! How, when, where ... ?!?!

Congratulations by the way. :D

basa
31-10-2005, 10:55

And learn to agree with whatever she suggests !! :disturbd:

Oh and keep the receipt for the ring !!

liamboyle06
31-10-2005, 11:02
We're going to need more details than this! How, when, where ... ?!?!

Well I took her to a murder mystery weekend in Donegal Town, along with some of her family and friends. Once some of the clues were given and we were settling into a night of Drinking, we started then playing a few games of Charades, which, when it was my turn, got down on one knee, infront of everyone and asked for her hand. Naturally she started to cry with joyful tears and accepted, we all spent the rest of the drinking Champagne.:)

handyman
31-10-2005, 11:12
So did you get a ring?

basa
31-10-2005, 11:15
So did you get a ring?

Yup .... through the nose !!!!! (J/K) :D

liamboyle06
31-10-2005, 11:17
So did you get a ring?
aye
spent just about 1 months wages on it, did not know how expensive them things actually were. just needs a little stretched for her now, but getting that sorted today.

Russ
31-10-2005, 11:27
aye
spent just about 1 months wages on it, did not know how expensive them things actually were. just needs a little stretched for her now, but getting that sorted today.

1 months' wages??? For that kind of money never mind having the ring stretched, she shouldn have her finger reduced!! :D

Congratulations by the way - in this day and age of "we don't need a ring and certificate to show our love" it makes great reading to hear about this :)

Chris
31-10-2005, 11:31
Well I took her to a murder mystery weekend in Donegal Town, along with some of her family and friends. Once some of the clues were given and we were settling into a night of Drinking, we started then playing a few games of Charades, which, when it was my turn, got down on one knee, infront of everyone and asked for her hand. Naturally she started to cry with joyful tears and accepted, we all spent the rest of the drinking Champagne.:)

:clap:

Brilliant, well done mate - you hopeless romantic! You have given her a story to tell her grandchildren. :D