PDA

View Full Version : Programme on Teenage drinking last night.

Nidge
26-10-2005, 05:07
Did anyone watch it? £2billi on to treat the effects of alcohol, £200mil lion to treat the effects of smoking.

deadite66
26-10-2005, 07:42
it's all madness.
I'm afraid big business rules this country now so the government are impotent to really do anything about the problem.

Paul K
26-10-2005, 08:16
it's all madness.
I'm afraid big business rules this country now so the government are impotent to really do anything about the problem.
Yeah it's amazing how much trouble they are having bringing the smoking ban which is working else where and how much trouble they are having bringing the binge drinking culture under control again.
I heard that some pubs and clubs that have recently applied to extend their drinking/ opening hours are now looking to continue with the "Special offers" system of cheap drinks or the 3 for the price of 2 offers so that instead of helping spread the drinking out across longer periods of time they are still encouraging binge drinking.
Makes you wonder how different things would be if the government were less afraid of losing the financial income that they currently enjoy from alcohol and cigarette manufacturers.

Slyder
26-10-2005, 08:22
Did anyone watch it? £2billi on to treat the effects of alcohol, £200mil lion to treat the effects of smoking.

Yep... and I was not surprised to see all of them were chavs. :rolleyes:

Xaccers
26-10-2005, 09:10
Who said the later closing times would stop binge drinking?
Oh wait, it was the goverment wasn't it?
The same goverment who rake in millions from tax on alcohol.
The same goverment who must know that people will drink at the same rate but for longer, giving the goverment even more money.
Ooo could that be the real reason behind the longer drinking hours laws?
Or am I just cynical?

It's just that it's been illegal to be drunk in a pub, or to serve alcohol to someone who is drunk, but its just not been enforced, just as the alcohol related parts of the VCR bill won't be enforeced because if you stop people drinking, then you stop the tax flow.

punky
26-10-2005, 11:30
Who said the later closing times would stop binge drinking?

Well, I do for a starter. I'm a student so I am speaking from experience here. Wether the place you are in closes at 11pm or 3am, when you get close closing time, you drink far more heavily than at the beginning of the night. Trying to cram as much drink in as possible.

It isn't how much you drink, its the rate, that's important. When I finished my first year I went on a major bender, and I didn't even wake with a headache. God knows how much I spent on booze, but I think it was over 60 quid. And this is at student prices. It was a phenomenal amount of booze, but I stretched it out over 13 hours, so despite drinking a lot, it didn't affect my body or mind much worse than nights where I have drunk a lot less, but in 2 or 3 hours. If traditional licensed hours were abolished, it mean drinkers would drink at their pace, rather than trying to cram it into what the licensing authority says they should.

Nugget
26-10-2005, 11:34
Well, I do for a starter. I'm a student so I am speaking from experience here. Wether the place you are in closes at 11pm or 3am, when you get close closing time, you drink far more heavily than at the beginning of the night. Trying to cram as much drink in as possible.

It isn't how much you drink, its the rate, that's important. When I finished my first year I went on a major bender, and I didn't even wake with a headache. God knows how much I spent on booze, but I think it was over 60 quid. And this is at student prices. It was a phenomenal amount of booze, but I stretched it out over 13 hours, so despite drinking a lot, it didn't affect my body or mind much worse than nights where I have drunk a lot less, but in 2 or 3 hours. If traditional licensed hours were abolished, it mean drinkers would drink at their pace, rather than trying to cram it into what the licensing authority says they should.

13 hours? You lightweight ;)

danielf
26-10-2005, 11:48

I haven't seen it, but I have been wondering about a programme like 'Booze Britain' on Bravo (:blush: I was bored). It's interspersed with messages about what damage these kids may be doing, but other than that it is one big advertisement for binge drinking, suggesting these kids are so cool for drinking 40 units in one night. Very irresponsible if you ask me.