PDA

View Full Version : USA Sim Cards

testcard
25-10-2005, 18:59
Looking at the call costs for my daughter's payg mobile for use in the states they seem a tad high.

The phone is tri band/ unlocked, there seem to be a lot of sites selling ready to go sims for use on while holiday. The savings on calls is high.

The chances the phone will be used a lot, mainly for incoming calls as its my daughter on holiday with friends.

Any advice?

Scrubbs
25-10-2005, 19:01
Have you enquired/looked at the payg site she is with? there might be some info on there?

Paul K
25-10-2005, 19:05
You can get call cards over in america which work out very reasonable for calling home on. Last time I was in Orlando we used one and it was cheaper than a mobile call on a contract phone with international roaming on it.

testcard
25-10-2005, 19:34
Have you enquired/looked at the payg site she is with? there might be some info on there?

Yes there was nothing available, but that's o2

You can get call cards over in america which work out very reasonable for calling home on. Last time I was in Orlando we used one and it was cheaper than a mobile call on a contract phone with international roaming on it.

Cheers, but my daughter would not buy one in the states (any one with daughters will understand this) so I would like it sorted before she goes.

ThePinkRat
25-10-2005, 20:10
You can get a SIM in the UK for use in the US. I got a PAYG SIM a couple of years ago when I was going to the States for a month (T-Mobile that can be topped up at 7-Eleven and other places). The advantage of getting it before you go is that you know what your phone number will be when in the US. They are a lot more expensive than European SIMs though: it cost me about £40 (and I don't think they've come down much since) although that did include some calls (maybe $20 -- can't quite recall). Still works out cheaper than roaming pretty quickly. The other thing to remember is that in the US you pay to receive calls on a mobile (unlike Europe) -- not a great deal though. Basically the phone number you get is the same as a landline -- I got to choose what area code I wanted -- which is why it costs to receive a call. I had a triband phone -- there are now quadbands as the US have added another band -- not sure which operators use the new band. Worth checking whether that is needed now. Also, check coverage: mobile networks are not as advanced as over here -- it is a very big country with a much sparser population so the economics are different. That said, the cities will not be a problem (I was somewhat off the beaten track on occasions).

testcard
25-10-2005, 20:53
Thanks PinkRat

The point about incoming charges is important.
Costs 99p per min on o2.

I can phone a US mobile for 2p a min which is bizarre

punky
25-10-2005, 22:16
Don't forget the big difference between US and UK cellular calls, is that in the Us on cell plans, you pay for incoming calls... I think you still do on UK cell international roaming, but tis something to bear in mind.