PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Reading with no connection?

Moth
25-10-2005, 13:30
Everything fine on my end until sometime this morning after breakfast... rebooted modem and router/firewall machine, but to no avail. Nothing suspicious from the Surfboard cable modem lights (they all went on in the right order and stayed on) Router/firewall machine (Linux Smoothwall) working as well as it had for the last year of uptime - just no joy... anyone know if there's a spade through the cable somewhere in Reading?

Chris
25-10-2005, 15:11
:welcome: to the forum, moth ... Surfboard?! You must be a real broadband old timer. :D (And a real long-term lurker as well, seeing as you waited 18 months to make your first post - nice to hear from you at last!)

We have a few users in that part of the world, hopefully someone will be along soon to let you know if it's an area problem or not.

Out of interest, have you tried to call NTL themselves yet?

Moth
25-10-2005, 16:41
Thanks for your welcome :-)

Yeah - I got my connection in 2000, when you were still allowed to buy your modem from NTL. I figured that the thing would only need to work for 18 months for me to make the money back on it... and unless today was its last day, it's still going after five years...

I think I must have signed up in the days of ntlhellworld.com...

I haven't had time to phone NTL yet - only found the problem at lunchtime, and had to hurry back to work. Going out tonight too, so hopefully the problem will have automagically fixed itself by the time I get back :-)

Moth
26-10-2005, 09:20
Nope - still not fixed this morning. Will have to spend all lunchtime on the phone to NTL, I expect :/

quadplay
26-10-2005, 11:21
Hi Moth,

Not much help, I know, but my connection's working in Winnersh (near Reading). If you'd like to PM me your account number, I'll have a look into it - one of the team can confirm I'm an ntl associate.

Moth
26-10-2005, 13:38
OK now I'm super embarrassed. For some reason my machine decided my IP address was invalid. ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew - problem solved.

I'll get me coat.

quadplay
26-10-2005, 14:18
Hehe, no worries - these things happen to the best of us! Hope you'll stick around now you've started to post on the forum. :)

Chris
26-10-2005, 14:20
OK now I'm super embarrassed. For some reason my machine decided my IP address was invalid. ipconfig /release followed by ipconfig /renew - problem solved.

I'll get me coat.

Oi! Take that coat off. You have spoken on the forum now, we know who you are, you are compelled to head directly to the basement and begin fighting over abortion, smoking, religion, racism, guns and Firefox like all the other regulars. ;) :D

Moth
26-10-2005, 15:08
you are compelled to head directly to the basement and begin fighting over abortion, smoking, religion, racism, guns and Firefox like all the other regulars. ;) :D

"So, this chain-smoking black nun walks into a bar with a Kalashnikov in one hand and a Firefox-branded coathanger in the other..."