PDA

View Full Version : Can't renew IP

haraldo
25-10-2005, 11:15
I have just installed XP pro (pre-SP1) as a dual boot. The first thing i have done is try and install NTL broadband (NTL BB).

NTL broadband has worked fine on my other hard drive (XP SP2) but for some reason won't install on the (pre-SP1) version of XP. It comes up with a DHCP error can't renew IP. Nearly all the lights on the modem are on or flashing as the were before and i have unplugged the modem booted into XP (pre-SP1) but had no success in installing NTL BB. So i know there is no problem with the cabling etc so it is defiitley a problem with my PC.

How do i go about fixing this error so it can connect to the network.

Thanks,

Richy99
25-10-2005, 11:35
how are you conencting? ethernet or usb?

firewall installed on the machine blocking access?

haraldo
25-10-2005, 11:41
I'm using USB.

Richy99
25-10-2005, 11:52
and in device manager there shows no conflicts on the usb or the modem?

have you tried ethernet?

haraldo
25-10-2005, 12:11
Ah, this might be tricky to find out right now, as i'm currently at work. But there is no indication of a problem with either.

I have'nt tried ethernet but i don't see why i should have to, as USB has worked fine.

Thanks, for the suggestion tho. I'll check later in the device manager.

Any other suggestions...

Thanks,

jonbr
25-10-2005, 13:33
Even NTL would recommend you try ethernet these days. There are no drivers required and it gives a much more reliable connection.

haraldo
25-10-2005, 14:28
What sort of ethernet cable would i need? Apart from one that fits! I've read stuff about cross over ethernet cables etc and i'm now confussed. How can i be sure that i get the right cable. Don't really know what an ethernet cable looks like...

Thanks

Chris
25-10-2005, 14:33
What sort of ethernet cable would i need? Apart from one that fits! I've read stuff about cross over ethernet cables etc and i'm now confussed. How can i be sure that i get the right cable. Don't really know what an ethernet cable looks like...

Thanks

You need a Patch cable, not a crossover cable. You can buy both types in Dixons or Maplin and the packaging should be clearly marked (although I suspect these days the modem can sense what cable you have and adjust accordingly, so it might work with either).

In any case, if you kept any of the gubbins that arrived with your modem when you signed up for broadband, you may find you still have an ethernet cable in the bottom of your desk drawer. The connectors on either end look like larger versions of what you find on the end of a phone cable.

You should definitely use enet if you can, it is much better.

haraldo
25-10-2005, 14:56
I may be making this up but i think i requested the NTL USB 250 modem which means i can't use an ethernet cable. I'm thinking this, as i don't think the modem has the correct socket for an ethernet cable. Does this sound viable?

If so win xp (pre SP1) should recognise my modem right?

Chris
25-10-2005, 15:00
I may be making this up but i think i requested the NTL USB 250 modem which means i can't use an ethernet cable. I'm thinking this, as i don't think the modem has the correct socket for an ethernet cable. Does this sound viable?

If so win xp (pre SP1) should recognise my modem right?

No, all cable modems supplied by NTL have ethernet capability (unlike most of the modems supplied by ADSL ISPs). When you get home fro work you will find the appropriate port on the back if it ... it has a logo that looks a bit like this: <--->