PDA

View Full Version : Phoneline switching

Halcyon
24-10-2005, 17:22
Hi there,
Wondered if anyone can help me out.

Please view the attached diagram to see what I mean.
I used to have two phone lines. For some odd reason, the second line didnt get hooked up to the second connector on the main NTL socket, but instead, wired internally. I think it may have been as it was from an extension and didnt have an endin gon it at the time.
ANYWAY.... I now have scrapped the second line and cancelled it YET I would like to use the upstairs phone on the main line. So in other words 2 phones sharing the same one line so I can use the phone in two places in the house.

But as you can problably see, my problem is I am going to have to unwire the NTL box to detach the phone line so I can hook it up to my main working phoneline. That as far as I know, is against NTL's conditions yet I'm sure it is a simple enough job of unscrewing, unhooking, sticking an ending on it, and job done.

So do you think I'm ok to do it ? What would you advise ?

Thanks.

danielf
24-10-2005, 17:28
I don't know about rewiring the sockets, but you could get a DECT phone with two handsets. You'd be able to use them anywhere in the house.

Comet do one with two handsets for £28...

http://www.comet.co.uk/comet/html/cache/642_203319.html

Wicked_and_Crazy
24-10-2005, 17:39
the main sockets in our house are next to each other (1 NTL, 1 BT) as the whole house is wired to the BT socket, to make them all NTL live i asked the NTL Eng to wire the two together as we were not going to use BT and NTL at the same time. Been like that now for 5+ years and never casued a problem.

Can you do something similar?

Jon T
24-10-2005, 17:43
Is the socket in the diagram a master socket? i.e. if it is, it will be bigger than an extension socket and also just the lower part of the frontplate will be removeable.

sorry, from my point of view, your post isn't very clear.

All phone lines must have a master socket somewhere.

Halcyon
24-10-2005, 18:48
Thanks for your posts.
Yes the main box is the master NTL box with two sockets. 1 for line 1 and the other for line 2.
However, phoneline 2 goes internally into the box.
Phoneline 1 is attached via the front plug port.

The secondline is a long extension that goes up into the roof so I dont want to rewire that. I want to take it out the back of the box. Unhook it from the line2 connector, and then fit a doubler port on line 1 and have both phones using the same line.
Sorry if its hard to make sense.

Jon T
24-10-2005, 19:06
no probs halcyon, the problem as far as I can see it is the wire feeding your phone connected to your second phoneline is hardwired to the master socket, therefore making it an not only against NTL T&C's but also against the law, however, any extension wiring that terminates in a plug at your master socket is ok.

So the second part of your plan, putting a plug on the cable is ok, it''s the first part, removing the cable from the socket that's going to cause problems. You could just snip the cable, however if in the process you cause problems to the NTL network further up the line, you could be billed for any problems that you've caused.

I think the dual DECT handset idea is great, i've got a set, two phones, one base, and a dumb charger module for the 2nd handset.

Halcyon
25-10-2005, 18:19
I'l look into the dual handset idea.
Thanks for all your help.

Visitor
11-11-2005, 22:29
Why not just plug in a double adapter, they cost about £2 one plug two sockets on them, even have them in Poundland :)