PDA

View Full Version : Hijacked on Ebay!

Chimaera
23-10-2005, 18:58
HELP!!!!
I came in from a lovely afternoon's outing with Paul and daughter no 1, checked my emails and found one from Ebay, confirming the change to my email address and password! :confused:
Of course I have done no such thing, ther is no phone number to report possible fraud issues! So I got on to their website, I sent an email with the details as requested and got an auto reply which says to expect a reply in 24 - 48 hours! I also have a PayPal account linked to Ebay so I have changed the security questions and password on that, and phoned them to tell them what's happened - they said I didn't have to delete the credit card details that are linked to the account but I have done anyway - I can always put it back later.
Ebay kindly sent me the IP address that was used to change my details, but Paul can't trace it. Why do Ebay change your details so easily, especially as the new request obviously came from a different source?
Can anyone think of anything I've forgotten to do? Paul is currently signed in to their 'live webchat' for problems such as these - but at the moment it's a 49 minute wait to chat to someone! And I'm slightly frantic to say the least - I use Ebay quite a bit and really don't want my account compromised!

Hom3r
23-10-2005, 19:01
CONTACT EBAY NOW

this is spam

EBAY never ask for such details

Nidge
23-10-2005, 19:02
HELP!!!!
I came in from a lovely afternoon's outing with Paul and daughter no 1, checked my emails and found one from Ebay, confirming the change to my email address and password! :confused:
Of course I have done no such thing, ther is no phone number to report possible fraud issues! So I got on to their website, I sent an email with the details as requested and got an auto reply which says to expect a reply in 24 - 48 hours! I also have a PayPal account linked to Ebay so I have changed the security questions and password on that, and phoned them to tell them what's happened - they said I didn't have to delete the credit card details that are linked to the account but I have done anyway - I can always put it back later.
Ebay kindly sent me the IP address that was used to change my details, but Paul can't trace it. Why do Ebay change your details so easily, especially as the new request obviously came from a different source?
Can anyone think of anything I've forgotten to do? Paul is currently signed in to their 'live webchat' for problems such as these - but at the moment it's a 49 minute wait to chat to someone! And I'm slightly frantic to say the least - I use Ebay quite a bit and really don't want my account compromised!

Ebay will sort it out for you, I had the same problem last year they sorted it out within 3 hours.

Paul K
23-10-2005, 19:03
CONTACT EBAY NOW

this is spam

Nope it was a proper ebay email notifying Chi of a change in password and details. As soon as she saw it we tried accessing her ebay account as usual and couldn't sign in. Someone changed the access password 90 mins before we got home :(

Chimaera
23-10-2005, 19:05
CONTACT EBAY NOW

this is spam

It's not spam, they were not asking for my details, they were confirming that they had been changed as per my request - which I haven't done!
Ebay are now sending all correspondence to this new email address, and the password on my account has been re-set so I can't access it.
Basically I am locked out of my own account, which is evidently now being controlled by someone else! :fit:

Ebay will sort it out for you, I had the same problem last year they sorted it out within 3 hours.
Thank you - that is reassuring! But I'm a bit worried as it's a Sunday - and late afternoon at that :(

Ramrod
23-10-2005, 19:13
Just what you need! :(
.....did ebay tell you if your account had been used in those 90 mins?

Chimaera
23-10-2005, 19:16
Just what you need! :(
.....did ebay tell you if your account had been used in those 90 mins?
Nope, I've had no reply from them other than the 'helpful' automatically generated email saying I should get a response within 24 - 48 hours! Atleast I could ring PayPal straight away and talk to someone about it.
Paul is still waiting on the live webchat thingy - it still says average wait is 49 minutes - and we are hanging on!
I can't understand why the IP address the change of details request was sent from seems to be untraceable though? :shrug:

Ramrod
23-10-2005, 19:31
I can't understand why the IP address the change of details request was sent from seems to be untraceable though? :shrug:Maby the scammer has lost his connection? Or would that not matter? :dunce:

Hom3r
23-10-2005, 19:35
Sorry I meant this is a scam not this is spam

Chimaera
23-10-2005, 20:02
Maby the scammer has lost his connection? Or would that not matter? :dunce:
I have no idea?
I'm really worried though - I can't remember if I used my ntl email addy or Gmail addy to set up the account - if it was Gmail then I would have had to put all my card details on the site, and if that's the case I can't remember which one I used. I'm REALLY in a panic now :(
And no sign of any contact from Ebay, Paul has given up on the so-called live webchat as it ends at 6pm! So I'll just have to hang on for them to contact me - and as I have 3 cards I could have used to start the account with, I'm stuck! I can't cancel all of them. :(

Sorry I meant this is a scam not this is spam
Well I don't know that's it's a scam - my account has been stolen! :Yikes:

Phew!
I got an email from Ebay telling me that my account HAD been tampered with and that they were re-setting it - and at the same time Paul got a response from the chat facility!
He confirmed what was said in the email, so I re-set my password and security question. It appears there was no activity on my account for the 3 hours or so it was out of my control.
I've now got a (hopefully) more secure password, but I'm still at a loss to explain how the account got hijacked in the first place.
Thanks to everyone for their replies on here - I'm off to have a drink now! :)

Ramrod
23-10-2005, 20:04
You might want to contact your credit card companies to see if there has been any strange spending on any of your cards recently.........

Chimaera
23-10-2005, 20:07
You might want to contact your credit card companies to see if there has been any strange spending on any of your cards recently.........
Well it looks like I didn't input any card details when I registered so that should be ok, and I've checked the account and nothing seems to have happened there. Fingers crossed, but I'll be monitoring them just in case anything suspicious gets spent on them.
I'll keep trying the IP addy too, I'd be interested to see who or what it is!

Kliro
23-10-2005, 20:11
I've now got a (hopefully) more secure password, but I'm still at a loss to explain how the account got hijacked in the first place.
Thanks to everyone for their replies on here - I'm off to have a drink now! :)[/QUOTE]

Easy security question?

Chimaera
23-10-2005, 20:12
Easy security question?
Nope! And not an easy password either - but they are even more difficult now! :ninja:

Maggy
23-10-2005, 20:48
I wonder if the hijacker was after card details and when they didn't get them just left the account alone...

I think I'm not bothering with Ebay any more..there seems to be too many scares about them.Luckily I've never used my cards with them and I always insist on using a cheque for anything I purchase.No cheque = no sale.

I'm glad you got it sorted..but it is worrying to consider how they got such control. :(

Paul K
23-10-2005, 21:15
I wonder if the hijacker was after card details and when they didn't get them just left the account alone...

I think I'm not bothering with Ebay any more..there seems to be too many scares about them.Luckily I've never used my cards with them and I always insist on using a cheque for anything I purchase.No cheque = no sale.

I'm glad you got it sorted..but it is worrying to consider how they got such control. :(
Quite probably, I said the same to Chi, as she uses paypal and that account wasn't accessible to the person who hijacked the Ebay account they probably realised that they couldn't gain anything from using the account.
We use paypal or cheques for everything on Ebay and that way we get a bit more control over what happens but in my opinion Ebay needs to start taking it's security a lot more seriously. With the number of ebay accounts that are compromised each day it's obvious that they need to change the way people choose their initial passwords etc and the way that people are able to change passwords once inside the MyEbay area. A simple system where a request to change the password has to be confirmed by a link in an email sent to the registered email account would do a lot to stop casual account hijacks.

Damien
24-10-2005, 00:19
How did they get in though?

I never use a security question (just type in random letters and numbers). My password is VERY hard as well :S

I have never been hacked but wondered how they could do it? Did they guess the password?

Chimaera
24-10-2005, 04:58
How did they get in though?

I never use a security question (just type in random letters and numbers). My password is VERY hard as well :S

I have never been hacked but wondered how they could do it? Did they guess the password?
Who knows? They won't be guessing this one though! ;)
Anyway I couldn't sleep tonight so thought I'd have a check of my emails etc - and waiting in my emails was one from 'eBay United Kingdom Customer Support' telling me all about my account being compromised, and would I confirm the following details?

E-mail address:
User ID:
Full name:
Address:
City:
County:
Postal Code:
Phone Number:

Some of the English used in the email is dubious to say the least. And they even had the cheek to cut and paste the email I sent Ebay which was sent to the new email account they had set up - crafty, eh?

I have of course forwarded it on to Ebay and await their comments!

Maggy
24-10-2005, 13:38
Ooo! tricksy beggers. :td:

Kliro
24-10-2005, 13:44
Is there a possibility there is a keylogger on your pc?

eddie00001
24-10-2005, 13:45
I had a similar thing happen to me a year or so ago. When I eventually contacted eBay and managed to persuade them I was really me, all they would did was cancel my old account and tell me to set-up a new one. It was not really the solution I was looking for as I had a lot of good feedback, and I now had to start from scratch again.

I do think eBay make it too easy to change your personal details. Most other sites often tell you to click on a link within their notification e-mail if you had not requested these changes.

Dave Stones
24-10-2005, 13:47
Has happened to me before too. Alas, they got hold of my card details. Luckily, my CC has a limit of £500 and they tried to spend more than this on it, so the bank cancelled it on my behalf and sorted it... I don't use paypal anymore now, I pay by cheque or bank transfer :)

Chimaera
24-10-2005, 18:43
Is there a possibility there is a keylogger on your pc?
I doubt it - I run Adaware, Spybot, Microsoft Anti Spyware and anything else Paul can think of - and I keep them all updated too. And we have AVG running as well.
I've had replies to emails I sent Ebay today asking for more info but I'm certain they are fakes - Paul will look at them when he's in from work.
Crafty devils! :fit:

I do think eBay make it too easy to change your personal details. Most other sites often tell you to click on a link within their notification e-mail if you had not requested these changes.
I agree - I was amazed that this person had just managed to change everything with no confirmation required - perhaps it's something Ebay should be looking into? :shrug:

Chrysalis
24-10-2005, 19:26
Ok you can see if they used ebay by checking your profile do a lookup on the profile and see if any buying or selling been done with it.

To get your login details I would guess one of the following has happened.

pc infected (keylogger)
email with fake url clicked
easy password guessed
bad security question/answer guessed
ebay itself hacked (very unlikely)

First thing you should do now is do a full virus scan with an up to date virus scanner and grab sd spybot along with adaware and run scans with both of them. Check your email history to see if anyone fell for a foul email.

As far as I am aware paypal cannot be directly accessed from ebay, eg. buying stuff setting up payments etc. all needs you to seperatly login to paypal with your password so unless you use the same password to both he might not have access to your paypal account.

Finally it is no surprise you cannot traceroute the ip, it is very likely some hacked box they proxied through located in asia or brazil.

Florence
24-10-2005, 20:58
This happened to me last year I hadnt clicked on any fake emails but had passweords I had used for years. I know change them around every 10 weeks. While my accoiunt was highjacked I had a boat for sale and they put an expensive PC on with no reserve. I managed to get Ebay toact fast using the chat facility and they removed the pc from auction as it was only on for 24 hours.

You need to keep changing the passwords about and use a combination of Capital letters numbers and lowercase.

Chimaera
24-10-2005, 21:59
You need to keep changing the passwords about and use a combination of Capital letters numbers and lowercase.
Well that's what I've always done with passwords, and they still managed to hijack my account!

Florence
24-10-2005, 23:31
I only started after it was highjacked and its beensafe since but i never click on emails that say they are from Ebay I go and chjeck its in my messages aswell if its not then its fake and I forward them to ebay.

Chrysalis
26-10-2005, 04:45
Chimaera open a command prompt and type this.

netstat -p tcp -n -a

if you see anything unusual can try adding -b, although that switch makes netstat hang here. so -o will at least show you the pid number which you can match up to a process in task manager.