PDA

View Full Version : Help required for a Numpty

Essential
22-10-2005, 17:33
Firstly I would like to apologise if I have listed this in the wrong section of the forum!

I have a single NTL Digital connection in this bedroom which is currently operating this Broadband connection.

If I was to unplug it and stick in the back of the NTL digital receiver I have will I get to see Sickly Come Dancing this evening?

My idea is to get some sort of 'splitter' where I can ultimately have TV and Broadband in the same room.

I would appreciate any help in this matter.

Regards,

Russ
22-10-2005, 17:36
Apology accepted ;)

Welcome to the site btw :wavey:

simpsonsFAN
22-10-2005, 17:52
I have a single NTL Digital connection in this bedroom which is currently operating this Broadband connection. If I was to unplug it and stick in the back of the NTL digital receiver I have will I get to see Sickly Come Dancing this evening?If you mean swaping the cable modem with your set top box from another room... then I carnt see a reason why It wouldent work:)

...but if you break it, you would have to fork out for ntl to come fix it, so no guarantees:erm:
-Chris

__spc__
22-10-2005, 19:31
The point of entry into my house is a small white box with two cable sockets out of it - one feeds the STB and one the SACM. Originally, both of these sockets were set to deliver TV, but the engineer fiddled to change it to broadband.

On this basis, I suspect that the cable from the wall to the units carries EITHER TV or BB...

Tezcatlipoca
22-10-2005, 20:36
On this basis, I suspect that the cable from the wall to the units carries EITHER TV or BB...

The cable should carry everything....BB, digital cable tv, analogue cable tv...

simpsonsFAN
22-10-2005, 21:03
On this basis, I suspect that the cable from the wall to the units carries EITHER TV or BB...Nope. It carries both. I tried swapping them around - works fine.

-Chris

__spc__
22-10-2005, 21:23
I am happy to stand corrected!:D

homealone
22-10-2005, 22:46
I think it depends on when your installation was done, and where. My 'Diamond Cable' installation has a single cable from the wallplate to a 2 way splitter, then one cable from that passes through a 'TV/Data isolator', as well. This setup feeds TV via an STB and broadband via SACM.

I assume some of the functions of those components are now done in the 'white box' with 2 outlets, described.