PDA

View Full Version : Ip Change

deathball
21-10-2005, 17:59
Im getting harassed off someone in america rather than ring ntl and wait for 45 minutes for them to say no, is it possible for me to change my ip address.

Acathla
21-10-2005, 18:03
power off the modem for 5 minutes or so doesnt do it?

MovedGoalPosts
21-10-2005, 18:12
Simply powering off the modem/STB for a short while won't guarantee a new IP addy. Turn back on and if t hasn't been released to another client, you get the old one back. This is especially true when the servers ususally create "leases" of IP addys of a few day's duration.

altis
21-10-2005, 18:15
Easiest way is to change the MAC address of the ethernet port that the modem is connected to.

deathball
21-10-2005, 18:15
See while i was waiting i rang ntl and they said there was no way i could change my ip, i was put through to an indian call centre, it is really annoying when you are put through to there, they cant quite understand you and visa versa i hate it when im put through to them.

jonbr
21-10-2005, 18:25
See while i was waiting i rang ntl and they said there was no way i could change my ip, i was put through to an indian call centre, it is really annoying when you are put through to there, they cant quite understand you and visa versa i hate it when im put through to them.

Ah, that old chestnut. The last thread I started on the Indian call centre ran to some thing like 12 pages!

deathball
21-10-2005, 18:27
I am so sick of the indian call centres, they really don't know what they are going on about, i think they are all running on scripts or something.

MovedGoalPosts
21-10-2005, 18:33
OK, lets stick to the IP addy change issue here and leave call centres to other threads ;)

Graham M
21-10-2005, 18:40
If its really that bad, pick up a new Network Card for a couple of quid and plug the modem into that instead and you should instantly get a new IP after a reboot of everything.

deathball
21-10-2005, 18:42
i dont have the money or the modem :) i connect through a STB

handyman
21-10-2005, 18:51
install via usb will change your ip. or plugging into another computer.

Sherlock614
21-10-2005, 19:04
Simply powering off the modem/STB for a short while won't guarantee a new IP addy.

This is true. I switch the modem off every time i switch the computer off and have had the same IP addy for the last 12 months.

__spc__
22-10-2005, 21:25
What kind of harrassment?

A firewall should block most activity...

jrhnewark
23-10-2005, 02:24
Without questioning why exactly you want to change your IP address, it's fairly easy to do with most NTL stand-alone cable modems.

1. Open a command prompt by going to 'Run' and typing 'cmd' - press Enter.
2. In the new window, type: ipconfig /release ... and then press Enter.
3. Go to the Control Panel, and then onto 'Network and Internet Connections'. Then click 'Network Connections'.
4. Right click on your broadband connection, and go to 'Properties'.
5. In the new Properties window, scroll down to 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP', and click on it, and then click 'Properties'.
6. Click 'Use the following IP address' and enter something like 1921681111, and then press 'Tab' to go down to 'Subnet mask' (and it'll automatically fill it in with '255.255.255.0' for you.
7. Press 'OK'.
8. When back to the Properties window, select 'Internet Protocol TCP/IP' again and click 'Properties'.
9. Select 'Obtain an IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically'.
10. Click OK, then OK in the Properties window.

jtwn
23-10-2005, 02:34
Don't think that will work, changing local ip addresses doesn't do jack for when the modem gets its address.

If you can't change how you connect to your computer, change the ip address of your nic. You might want to elaborate how you think this will stop x from contacting you.

Foo Fighter
23-10-2005, 02:50
change the mac of the network card connected to the modem, then register it on the prvisoning page and bam new ip... 4min job tops

jrhnewark
23-10-2005, 03:10
Don't think that will work, changing local ip addresses doesn't do jack for when the modem gets its address.

If you can't change how you connect to your computer, change the ip address of your nic. You might want to elaborate how you think this will stop x from contacting you.I have elaborated, I just can't find the thread in which I did so. :confused:

I'm afraid it does do jack if you have a SACM connected via Ethernet. Fact. If it doesn't work for you, pooh. :)

Graham M
23-10-2005, 04:44
Would it work if the OP changed the software MAC address of the NIC?

Horace
23-10-2005, 10:15
He's probably attempting to evade some kind of server ban, probably an online game. I can't see any valid reason to change an IP other than if under some kind of attack and for that he should contacting NTL and or the abuse department of the ISP where the attacks are coming from. If he's somehow blacklisted due to the NTL's proxies then changing IP wouldn't help anyway.

Chris W
23-10-2005, 10:18
Would it work if the OP changed the software MAC address of the NIC?

yes.

I'm preparing an article about how to change your ip address... should be done by tonight :)

jtwn
23-10-2005, 13:23
If you can't change how you connect to your computer, change the ip address of your nic.

I meant to say mac before I make a fool of myself ;) Honest guv.

deathball
23-10-2005, 23:42
I am trying to get a different address because I am having a few problems off someone in america who keeps on harrasssing me, he browses my files and knows everything about me.

patrickp
23-10-2005, 23:58
Get a firewall - something like Zone Alarm Free (http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp). As long as this person hasn't already put any malware on your system, that'll keep them out. Even if they have put malware on your system, the firewall will stop it 'phoning home.'

Even better would be to get a router - most routers have a built-in NAT firewall that's even more effective than a software-based one. And, of course, you can then connect more than one machine to your connection.

Quite honestly, no-one should go online without a firewall - to my mind it's even more vital than anti-virus software.

sollp
24-10-2005, 01:01
change the mac of the network card connected to the modem, then register it on the prvisoning page and bam new ip... 4min job tops

Didn't think you could change tha MAC address, thought this was permanent to what ever hardware device it is given to when made. The IP address gives it the route, the MAC address is unique and permanent to the device, IE MAC adress of modem, network card ect.

It's the IP address that will change as it is dynamic on the network and not static, this is something given to the modem via the DHCP server.

So you can't force a change until the lease has expired and your given a new one. you may need to turn off the modem for a few days for this to happen.

jonbr
24-10-2005, 08:30
Didn't think you could change tha MAC address, thought this was permanent to what ever hardware device it is given to when made. The IP address gives it the route, the MAC address is unique and permanent to the device, IE MAC adress of modem, network card ect.

It's the IP address that will change as it is dynamic on the network and not static, this is something given to the modem via the DHCP server.

So you can't force a change until the lease has expired and your given a new one. you may need to turn off the modem for a few days for this to happen.

You change the mac address by physically changing the network device (e.g. change the ethernet card, move to USB connection, etc.) As the lease for the old mac address is still active, the DNS server will issue a new IP address for the new mac address.

However, as has alreaddy been stated, a firewall could/would have prevented the attack in the first place and be preventing it now. ("Could/would" because you have to configure it correctly!).

No one should ever go on-line with out a firewall; even the free firewalls provide a good level of protection if configured correctly.

SMHarman
24-10-2005, 10:19
i dont have the money or the modem :) i connect through a STBThen I think it will be far harder to make this change, if at all possible. You cannot change the MAC address of a STB as it is tied to the provision of your DTV service.
Have you reported this attack to NTLs service abuse team?

deathball
24-10-2005, 15:56
Have you reported this attack to NTLs service abuse team?

Oh can you do this, what will happen if i do? Is it worth doing it?

2||Para
24-10-2005, 18:53
If your motherboard has dual lan sockets simply switch sockets,enable the new socket in control panel and power off.Reboot,switch back to original lan port and there you go a new IP.