PDA

View Full Version : Harlow CM20 Packet Loss and LAG

RossUK
21-10-2005, 15:17
Hi all,

I've been viewing these forums for a while now to see what happens with ntls service and I now find the service, well neither here nor there really, i mean come on, what's been going on and for how long?

rant aside, I live in Harlow in Essex and am using NTLs 1MB conection, fine when using the pc but now i can't use xbox live because most of my information gets dropped by NTL.

I connect directly to the modem when using xbox live so that eliminates all the problems associated with using a PC.

I know that these figures are an indicaion of bad network perfomance but how bad is it and can somebody on here do anything about it.

xboxlive reading:

207 ms (210 ms) 14/25

1st is for lag, second is for packets sent/recieved.

thanks in advance,

Ross

ps. i have phoned ntl regarding this matter several times and have gotten the run around everytime, i don't want to sound too bitter but if nothing will be done then NTL lose me as a customer:td: and BT gain one:tu:

sollp
21-10-2005, 15:52
Contact me with your post code and house number and i'll try and help

Hom3r
21-10-2005, 15:54
I live in Harlow CM20 not to far from the Shark pub (ATF)
Has your setup got a router, if it has does removing it make a difference to x-box live

Have you tried a speed test
http://www.asdlguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp

RossUK
21-10-2005, 16:00
Thanks for the replies guys,

David, i don't use a router, i just connect directly from xbox to modem and that's it, no P.C. and no router.

If i try to do a speed test with P.C. it usually comes back with the correct results, however, I don't have any ways to connect my xbox to my P.C. and then test it, but any tests from the xbox the the U.S live servers are terrible.

also, i'll pm my details to Sollp, but not until a Moderator or NTL employee can confirm that he's legit.

Thanks guys,

Ross

sollp
21-10-2005, 16:53
Thanks for the replies guys,

David, i don't use a router, i just connect directly from xbox to modem and that's it, no P.C. and no router.

If i try to do a speed test with P.C. it usually comes back with the correct results, however, I don't have any ways to connect my xbox to my P.C. and then test it, but any tests from the xbox the the U.S live servers are terrible.

also, i'll pm my details to Sollp, but not until a Moderator or NTL employee can confirm that he's legit.

Thanks guys,

Ross

This looks more like the route the XBox is taking to do a ping test,(i assume that is what you are doing with XBox) is at fault. Are you doing the same ping test with PC and XBox? By that are you testing same IP address.

Could be the servers at other end at fault.

RossUK
21-10-2005, 18:46
I'll have a play on live later on to see if it's still bad, i'll try hosting a small room of 6 people and i'll try to play with people from varying coutries to see if there's any change in network reliability.

I've spoken to a couple of friends who use BT for their xbox live service and they aren't suffering the same lag or packet issues that i'm getting which makes me wonder if it is NTL somewhere along the line or if it has anything to do with the damaged cabled i'm using.

Anyway, i'll not be back on here until this Monday so i'll test it over the weekend, and i'll test it on a different undamaged cable to see if there's any change in reliability.

Thanks goto sollp for helping me out so quickly and efficiently, if only the world had more people like you. . . . etc...

Ross :)

spankyone
23-10-2005, 12:50
If you have a read here u will see that alot of us online gamers are suffering the same
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=36258

sollp
23-10-2005, 13:28
The problems that Ross was experiencing could well be down to his Ethernet cable being damaged. He will report back if this is the case.

If you have a read here u will see that alot of us online gamers are suffering the same
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=36258

If you are doing ping test's to a certain IP address using the Dos Cmd, What you have got to realise is that the packets sent are being lossed somewhere, now that test is a very basic, so you have got to know where the problem is before laying blame. Now it might turn out to be an issue within the NTL network, but just to do these test's and then blame NTL is wrong. Your mate in Scotland may have a problem within the installation within his house, or a local network issue ect. Same with others.

RossUK
23-10-2005, 13:28
No, it's my actual NTL cable that has damage not the USB/ Ethernet

sollp
23-10-2005, 13:35
No, it's my actual NTL cable that has damage not the USB/ Ethernet

Well yes this will cause you the problems you are having. I though it was the Ethernet cable, soz.

Hom3r
23-10-2005, 14:24
RossUK did you lose the TV & BB last night at 9pm (don't know what time it came back, as I was watching a DVD)

RossUK
23-10-2005, 14:44
Nah, none of my services went down and to be honest they vey rarely do go down, the only service that can suffer is my internet connection and if the TV does go down then i either lose terrestrial channels of the cable tv channels, rarely both,and i use an old analogue TV box thingy fyi.

Ross

V3n0m
23-10-2005, 15:46
The problems that Ross was experiencing could well be down to his Ethernet cable being damaged. He will report back if this is the case.

If you are doing ping test's to a certain IP address using the Dos Cmd, What you have got to realise is that the packets sent are being lossed somewhere, now that test is a very basic, so you have got to know where the problem is before laying blame. Now it might turn out to be an issue within the NTL network, but just to do these test's and then blame NTL is wrong. Your mate in Scotland may have a problem within the installation within his house, or a local network issue ect. Same with others.

Well that would be a huge coincidence,considering that a lot of NTL Gamers are suffering ping/Pckt losses/lag issues.I find it very hard to believe that its not NTL's fault

Of all the People i talk to its only NTL users that are experiencing these problems at the moment.

I suppose the only way we gamers are going to find out is by ditching NTL and using another provider.

sollp
23-10-2005, 20:47
Well that would be a huge coincidence,considering that a lot of NTL Gamers are suffering ping/Pckt losses/lag issues.I find it very hard to believe that its not NTL's fault

Of all the People i talk to its only NTL users that are experiencing these problems at the moment.

I suppose the only way we gamers are going to find out is by ditching NTL and using another provider.

Well thats the problem, you're mates and others could well have individual issues, but you're trying to lump them together without knowing if they are one problem or many.

Could well be the case it's NTL as i've already said previously, but you need to understand what the ping test's are a very basic test that tell you there i something wrong somewhere, or it could be high volumes of internet traffic.

V3n0m
23-10-2005, 21:57
Well thats the problem, you're mates and others could well have individual issues, but you're trying to lump them together without knowing if they are one problem or many.

Could well be the case it's NTL as i've already said previously, but you need to understand what the ping test's are a very basic test that tell you there i something wrong somewhere, or it could be high volumes of internet traffic.

So what is the solution,besides finding another provider.which i really don't want to do

sollp
23-10-2005, 22:34
So what is the solution,besides finding another provider.which i really don't want to do

Well you need to make sure your set up is ok, if your using PC for gaming any of the usual checks like ad-aware spyware ect. Make sure your cable installation hasn't any loose connection within the house. Is it the gaming site only that has the issue? is it every site you browse?

Then if after this call NTL see if there is an issue with your installation, or that there could be problems within NTL network for this particular site.

V3n0m
24-10-2005, 07:18
Yup all above is fine....about two months ago the broadband was running smooth with nice pings/no pckt losses and no lag,nothing has changed to my computer,connections,firewall etc....but since then its deterioated so bad that online gaming is virtually impossible...

I like many seem to be suffering after 4pm until about 2am,very inconsistent ping test results....download can be as low as 80 kbyte/sec up to 324 kbyte/sec...and this will vary every few seconds all over the place.

spankyone
24-10-2005, 09:11
Well you need to make sure your set up is ok, if your using PC for gaming any of the usual checks like ad-aware spyware ect. Make sure your cable installation hasn't any loose connection within the house. Is it the gaming site only that has the issue? is it every site you browse?

Then if after this call NTL see if there is an issue with your installation, or that there could be problems within NTL network for this particular site.

My systems are fine and free of nasty spyware etc... ive tried 4 systems on my line and still the net probs remain. Also i should add on a phone call to NTL tech support they said they had no other reports of packet loss and high ping issues. They did lie to me over the phone as i know other people have complained about the same problems.
I understand that all the probs we have could be related to the network upgrades that are going on atm and tbh if it is then they should let us know that this type of thing could happen even if they only tell us on the phone.

sollp
24-10-2005, 11:38
My systems are fine and free of nasty spyware etc... ive tried 4 systems on my line and still the net probs remain. Also i should add on a phone call to NTL tech support they said they had no other reports of packet loss and high ping issues. They did lie to me over the phone as i know other people have complained about the same problems.
I understand that all the probs we have could be related to the network upgrades that are going on atm and tbh if it is then they should let us know that this type of thing could happen even if they only tell us on the phone.

Look there is a problem somewhere, but to say they have lied deliberately is wrong. Like any call centre some people don't fully understand the system, or don't have the facts straight to hand, or the fact they are given are often passed down the chain with different people having a slightly different slant on it. And sometimes they try to hard. Also they are not really going to know what affect the work will have on individual peoples service or in the network how it will be affected, all they probably know is work is taking place on certain dates.

monkey2468
24-10-2005, 12:53
There are problems in the cm18,cm19, and cm20 area. Its been looked into currently.

V3n0m
24-10-2005, 13:02
And my area;)

sollp
24-10-2005, 21:20
And my area;)

Your issues are not the same one that has been rectified in the poscode CM20, ect, this was a local network fault.

V3n0m
24-10-2005, 23:37
Damn and there was me hoping for a quick fix:dozey:

RossUK
25-10-2005, 14:06
Your issues are not the same one that has been rectified in the poscode CM20, ect, this was a local network fault.

Sollp, i'll have a go on the xbox tonight and see if it's any better, i couldn't test it out since xbox live was down yesterday, i'll let you know if it's all good by tomorrow.

And a BIG thankyou to you Sollp, very nice and very helpful :)

RossUK
26-10-2005, 11:53
Well, I don't know what the guys/gals did but it sure did work, my latency to xbox live is now 170ms instead of an unplayable 200+ and there is only 1 or 2 packets out of 20/25 lost now instead of 10-15

Thanks Sollp, and thanks to whoever else help you out, you're all :angel:

Ross.

ps. what was the problem anyway?