PDA

View Full Version : dont go on holiday without holiday insurance

EBO48
20-10-2005, 21:17
i've just got back from holiday after a hospital extension of 3 weeks I got a look at the bill CYP£18, 000 :Yikes: all I paid CYP£30 :D thank god for insurance

Mike
20-10-2005, 21:26
I tend to buy annual insurance for the whole family (4) costs about £100 pa for unlimited travel !

Hope you have recovered ok :)

Hom3r
20-10-2005, 21:27
You still have to becareful even then,
On Watchdog (I think) A woman booked an adventure holiday skiing, snowboarding, bungey jumping, etc. Yes while skiing she broke here leg, spent several weeks in hospital. when she got home she found our the insurance that she took out effectively excluded adventure type holidays, she was luck the programme sorted it out for her

aliferste
20-10-2005, 21:34
You still have to becareful even then,
On Watchdog (I think) A woman booked an adventure holiday

Yea, I thought it was pretty obvious that adventure type holidays were excluded from normal insurance policies. !

MovedGoalPosts
20-10-2005, 21:39
Absolutely vital that you ensure what you are going to do on holiday is covered. So many horror stories exist. A few weeks ago I posted a trhead about some scuba diver who went deeper than the policy allowed, and now has a massive bill for the treatment incurred, when the dive went wrong.

Hom3r
20-10-2005, 21:54
Yea, I thought it was pretty obvious that adventure type holidays were excluded from normal insurance policies. !

she took out the insurance from the same company that she booked the holiday

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-10-2005, 21:56
also make sure youve got an EU health card. (Replacement for the E111)

Halcyon
20-10-2005, 22:38
Yeah the replacement E111 card is free and you can get a form for it at your local post office.
Definately helps you out.

MovedGoalPosts
21-10-2005, 00:03

Always read the small print. Travel Company bundles holiday insurances will also have exclusions. Make sure whatever you do will stay within them.

Again I relate to scuba diving many policies limit only to 30m depth, which is fairly normal recreational diving limits. However I've been on holidays, where, irrespective of the diving qualifications, it's been very easy to go beyond that and void all cover.

Similar exclusions relate to most activities. I've been on windsurfing/dinghy sailing holidays. The policies say no racing. Yet what happens on the last day - lets have a "regatta", which oddly involved a race :disturbd:

aliferste
21-10-2005, 08:27

Ahhhhh, now I see why she got it all paid for......numpty travel agents :erm:

altis
21-10-2005, 09:32
If you are going on an active holiday then I can thouroughly recommend:

http://www.snowcard.co.uk/

They understand about 'doing things' and have different levels depending on your activity.