PDA

View Full Version : Need help from a helpy NTL employee

Shabba
20-10-2005, 14:46
Just recently had my STB removed in favour of FreeView but chose to stick with NTL for internet services.

While all the cable installation points were fine for STB usage, my computer is located upstairs so we asked for the re-wire work to be done so that the SACM would be next to the computer. At the moment it's in the living room flashing away and driving my partner to madness!

Is there any chance of scheduling a team to run a wire from outside (where the connection point is) upstairs to the bedroom? My partner did try to explain this to the call centre staff but she couldn't fully understand what the Indian gentleman was saying so she thanked him for his non existent advice and hung up :(

Any help would be much appreciated :)

quadplay
20-10-2005, 15:07
The Technical Support guys in India wouldn't know what the hell you were talking about - they're not trained to deal with internal rewires!

Call Customer Services on 0800 052 2000 (Option 5) and say you need an internal rewire and they can schedule one for you - there will be a charge though.

Shabba
20-10-2005, 15:43
Thank's for the number Jimbo but we did explain that we wanted the SACM upstairs when we cancelled our STB account. At no point did they mention anything about an extra charge for installing a cable.

As a matter of fact, the guy who dropped off our SACM and picked up the STB did mention that the "cable gang" (his words) would sort it for us. Alas no "gang" and no extra cableing :(

quadplay
20-10-2005, 15:55
Hmm... "cable gang" could well refer to ntl as a whole! When was the install done? If less than seven days, it can be referred back to installs as you not being happy with it.

Shabba
20-10-2005, 16:10
There was no install. The guy dropped off an NTL 250 box and took our STB away. Unusally for NTL, he didn't want a brew! ;)

I use linux not windows or mac for my connection so i was relieved that i remembered 80.5.178.26 to autoreg my services :)

The install/drop off was yesterday.

handyman
20-10-2005, 16:13
How did you get the internet from the stb to the computer before? I assume probably ethernet can you not use this again.

Shabba
20-10-2005, 16:56
How did you get the internet from the stb to the computer before? I assume probably ethernet can you not use this again.

Before, i had a crossover cable that i installed myself that runs from the living room and through the ceiling to the bedroom. However - the 250 doesn't require x-over so i had to buy an adaptor :(

But you miss the point? The lights permanently flashing on the 250 are driving my partner bonkers when she's trying to wach tv! All i want is a simple bit of cable that runs from my install point to the bedroom as promised when we cancelled the stb!

It can't be so hard, if i get nowhere i'll buy the cable from Maplins and do it myself!

jono_h
20-10-2005, 18:43
How about putting a piece of insulation / duct tape over the flashing lights?