PDA

View Full Version : is this a nessecity ?

kronas
25-10-2003, 02:20
a little late but nonetheless......

a 10 year old boy is to appear in weymouth youth court after 'squirting' a water pistol on april the 13th

dorset police have declined to comment on the matter

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3203979.stm

yes you read it right a 10 year old in court for a water pistol incident :rolleyes:

Paul K
25-10-2003, 02:25
an allegation of assault with a water pistol :rolleyes: What next?

Xaccers
25-10-2003, 02:26
I think it's been thrown out by the courts.

When it says waterpistol, if it was a supersoaker, this can really soak people, a bit like being sprayed with a hose pipe for a short period.
Imagine walking to work and some kid soaks you, wouldn't you complain?
For the police to take action suggests that the kid had previous complaints about him/offences, given that due to the paperwork involved, I think most coppers would have rather just given him a caution and had words with his parents if it was a one off.

hobbie
25-10-2003, 02:31
I think that most coppers (from the old school) would have preferred to " clip him round the ear" and say--do it again and I'll tell your Dad

kronas
25-10-2003, 02:32
I think that most coppers (from the old school) would have preferred to " clip him round the ear" and say--do it again and I'll tell your Dad

i think thats a more sensible approach or actually talking to the kid or the parents

hobbie
25-10-2003, 02:56
unfortunately--we seem to have lost all sense of "a sensible approach"

jeez--imagine me as an 8 year old ---getting told off by a 6ft guy in a police uniform.

Now the 8 year olds just laugh because they know the police can't touch them

ntluser
25-10-2003, 09:02
unfortunately--we seem to have lost all sense of "a sensible approach"

jeez--imagine me as an 8 year old ---getting told off by a 6ft guy in a police uniform.

Now the 8 year olds just laugh because they know the police can't touch them

They have to be 10 to go to court. When they do they just laugh at the judges instead.

The government's desire not to build more prisons and the judges' desire not to send people to prison when they deserve it has made a mockery of our legal system.

I think all judges and politicians should be required to live on a council estate, so they can experience first hand how criminals and 'neighbours from hell' can make your life a misery, even when you're already living a life of poverty and unemployment anyway.

I'll bet then they would soon buck up their ideas and use their powers to deal with the problems that ordinary folk have to deal with day in day out with little or no support from those in power.

As for errant children, parents need a list of effective strategies to deal with them and the discipline and resolve to carry them out. Hopefully, that would free up the police to get on with the job of dealing successfully with crime.

Russ
25-10-2003, 10:09
No Policeman or any other other adult is ever going to give a child of mine a "clip around the ear". Physical discipline is for the parents only. It should not be up to police, teachers etc to administer this sort of discipline. Delegating such duties to other people is sheer irresponsibility and parents who do so must realise they are either a full-time parent or not a parent at all.

Richard M
25-10-2003, 10:20
I see your point Russ, but when I was in school we used to get a quick slap from a teacher if we were naughty.
It sorted us out. :shrug:

A few years before me they still used the cane and look at what those kids grew up into compared to todays spoilt, abusive brats.

Russ
25-10-2003, 10:27
I'm dead against teachers slapping kids - teachers are only human too and can go over the top just like anyone else. Perhaps they'd had a hard day or were in a bad mood and the child didn't really do anything naughty enough to warrant a slap - but they go and do it anyway..

I'm not a PC-type by any stretch of the imagination and I respect the difficult job that teachers do but if one of them slapped my daughter when she gets to school age then the Police will be involved.

All the school has to do is let me know if she is disruptive and leave it to her parents to deal with, which of course we will.

Shaun
25-10-2003, 13:46
I'm dead against teachers slapping kids - teachers are only human too and can go over the top just like anyone else. Perhaps they'd had a hard day or were in a bad mood and the child didn't really do anything naughty enough to warrant a slap - but they go and do it anyway..

I'm not a PC-type by any stretch of the imagination and I respect the difficult job that teachers do but if one of them slapped my daughter when she gets to school age then the Police will be involved.

All the school has to do is let me know if she is disruptive and leave it to her parents to deal with, which of course we will.

The thing is Russ, maybe you will, but many parent don't, and thats where the trouble starts! :(

Russ
25-10-2003, 13:49
The thing is Russ, maybe you will, but many parent don't, and thats where the trouble starts! :(

Yes - the parents who will blame anyone but themselves...."it's the council's fault, the kids are bored, give them something to do"......"it's the teachers' fault for making school so boring for them"...."it's the Police's fault for not giving the kids a break".....

paulyoung666
25-10-2003, 13:57
Yes - the parents who will blame anyone but themselves...."it's the council's fault, the kids are bored, give them something to do"......"it's the teachers' fault for making school so boring for them"...."it's the Police's fault for not giving the kids a break".....

im going to assume we are all responsible parents here , would any of us allow there child ( 4-5 years old ) to wander the streets at 11-00 pm at night , i know i wont , and then they wonder why they get into trouble :eeek:

Richard M
25-10-2003, 14:03
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but it's mainly the lower class kids which cause the trouble.
I live in an area surrounded by council houses/flats and *every* *single* *time* there is trouble - it's because of them.

Fireworks going off in the middle of the street, cars getting nicked, people getting mugged etc...it's because of the new generation of kids growing up listening (except not really listening (to the words)) to rap music, thinking they're in LA or something.
Their attitude sucks. :upyours:

I think that if our justice/police system was more strict, they would start thinking twice about breaking the law or acting so stupidly.

Russ
25-10-2003, 14:09
Remember, kids from middle-class backgrounds will have a level of expectation regarding their behaviour put on them, and often this pressure is more than enough to get them to rebel. I see what you mean about the lower classes though, it can often seem that way, but kids of the age you're referring to often aren't bothered by social class and will just hang around with whoever is 'cool' at the time. Maybe the lower class kids in the gangs just make the most noise..who knows?

paulyoung666
25-10-2003, 14:10
I know I'm probably going to get flamed for this, but it's mainly the lower class kids which cause the trouble.
I live in an area surrounded by council houses/flats and *every* *single* *time* there is trouble - it's because of them.

Fireworks going off in the middle of the street, cars getting nicked, people getting mugged etc...it's because of the new generation of kids growing up listening (except not really listening (to the words)) to rap music, thinking they're in LA or something.

I think that if our justice/police system was more strict, they would start thinking twice about breaking the law or acting so stupidly.

im gonna be brave and side with you on this one , i know a few coppers and they are totally ****ed off with the courts , when they catch the **** the courts seem to want to give them another chance all the time , the **** then stick there fingers up at the police and do it again and again and again , we have a family ( loosely call them a family ) near me and they cause all sorts of trouble , burglary car theft etc , the police can never make anything stick on them so they carry on , try and fight back at them and your windows get put out in the middle of the night , you know who did it but you cant prove it , so they win again , i dont know how people can live like that :2up:

kronas
26-10-2003, 14:31

now now lets not blame the music although it does have its part to play in the rudeness of children in some circumstances but the parents should ultimately have the control over there kids and should know what they are up to when they are out.........

questions should be raised who is selling then the fireworks ? or.......

who is buying them for the kids........

i think the enviromental factor is something that influences kids in there early years not just the external enviroment but the internal one parents etc

if they run loose and are not properly disciplined then they will steadily lose the 'right' path in terms of behavioral related actions

parents should control there kids with strict discipline and moniter them as to who there freinds are and also notice any sudden changes in there verbal and physical apperance