PDA

View Full Version : dog training

akane1984
20-10-2005, 09:28
I have a pet terrier pup when walked at nights n day he tends to try to snatch as much "poo" as possible to EAT! why does he do this? we got him when he was 1 from kennals now hes over 2 and we have tried everything to get him off this weird habit.

orangebird
20-10-2005, 09:35
I have a pet terrier pup when walked at nights n day he tends to try to snatch as much "poo" as possible to EAT! why does he do this? we got him when he was 1 from kennals now hes over 2 and we have tried everything to get him off this weird habit.

It's not weird at all, it's a common habit, especially not for 'working' or 'field' dogs such as yours. I had lurchers and jack russells. They would eat as much horse, cow and chicken **** as they could get their paws on - after rolling around in it quite vigorously...there really isn't much I think you can do about this... Give him charcoal biscuits to keep his breath as fresh as possible :shrug:

akane1984
20-10-2005, 09:38
It's not weird at all, it's a common habit, especially not for 'working' or 'field' dogs such as yours. I had lurchers and jack russells. They would eat as much horse, cow and chicken **** as they could get their paws on - after rolling around in it quite vigorously...there really isn't much I think you can do about this... Give him charcoal biscuits to keep his breath as fresh as possible :shrug:

no worries; i sorta assumed this was common for highland or like mine lakeland terriers lol . .

orangebird
20-10-2005, 09:43
no worries; i sorta assumed this was common for highland or like mine lakeland terriers lol . .

Yes indeed. Just embrace smelly farts and lots of baths and you'll be fine! :D

lippy
20-10-2005, 10:58
Get a cat!

Why don't you put a muzzle on before you go out?
...the dog,not you.

akane1984
20-10-2005, 12:08
Get a cat!

Why don't you put a muzzle on before you go out?
...the dog,not you.

yeah did that for month to see if it would put him off. . hasn't but don't like muzzling dog feel bad lol :p:

Nidge
20-10-2005, 12:32

I had springers spaniels some years ago and they used to love cow dung, according to a guy who I used to go shooting with it used to kill worms in the dogs, somehow I found it hard to take in.

My mothers old dog used to eat cat dung. It's common for dogs to eat other animals droppings.

Nugget
20-10-2005, 13:13
I had springers spaniels some years ago and they used to love cow dung, according to a guy who I used to go shooting with it used to kill worms in the dogs, somehow I found it hard to take in.

It's probably 'cos the smell was so strong :disturbd:

Orior
20-10-2005, 13:16
I named my dog C'mere. We were out for a walk the other day and I saw a flat dog. Well, it must have been flat, because C'mere started to pump it up.

Nidge
20-10-2005, 15:00
It's probably 'cos the smell was so strong :disturbd:

LOL I know, my missus used to go up the wall when I got back they'd be caked in cow dung :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey: :dozey:

tkiely
20-10-2005, 15:28
lots of good advice here (http://www.dogpages.org.uk/forums/index.php?act=SF&s=&f=4)

zoombini
20-10-2005, 15:34
take a can of strong air freshener on walks & spray that at the poo before he tries to eat it, see if that has any effect?

Nugget
20-10-2005, 15:38
take a can of strong air freshener on walks & spray that at the poo before he tries to eat it, see if that has any effect?

If it doesn't, apply a match just in front of the aerosol before spraying - if he still tries after that, you'll never get him to stop :disturbd:

etccarmageddon
20-10-2005, 16:22
try changing your dogs diet - what do you feed it on? only dry food?

Seti
21-10-2005, 00:55
Hmmm its a nasty one. My old GSD used to eat horse pooh, cow pooh but never his own or other dogs or cats pooh. My ST Bernard used to eat cats pooh only cos it smelt nice apparently!! Well, thats what the vet said. I cured it by giving the dogs pineapple (In fresh natural juice if you use canned) in their food for a month. Apparently it realises some enzymes that adjust the dogs metabolism and need for pooh ! You could also try mixing some fresh veggies in the food.

Its a normal instinct in sdoggies as well because they evovled from wolves and wolves very often used to scavenge around weaste areas and that invovled human pooh!

We find it so disgusting that we don't like our little darlings to eat it. Well I mean WOULD YOU EAT IT Urghhhhhh. How much excersise is the dog getting? DO you feed a high fibre high protein diet ? SOme dogs don't exist very well on canned food. You might like to try the frozen food from Pets at Home, Zippy like the lamb mince with carrots and peas ! It works out more economical if you have a freezer :)

Or try feeding little and often for a while and give an evening meal of veggies. Yes the dogs will fart but he/she won't eat pooh !

Also pick up the dogs pooh as soon as it drops. Try distracting the dog from others pooh byt talking to the doggie nicely and excitedly, like um distraction methods for two year olds.

Hope some of that helps ;)

Sian