PDA

View Full Version : Uploading

chrisy9
19-10-2005, 23:07
Hi, im was reading on the ntl site about upload speed of the 1mb service, cant mind what it was but, mine is nothing compared to it, im uploading at 12kb/s MAX, download speeds are about 120kbps MAX.
i know theres something wrong, but can anyone help me out by telling me how to fix this.
i dont want to fone ntl because i hate these indian people who dont have a clue (no offence to them, but they are clueless and hard to understand, and they dont understand me)
ANY help would be great.

apoligies if in wrong section or anything.

danielf
19-10-2005, 23:15
:welcome: chrisy9

Are you talking about kilobytes or bits? If you are talking bytes, those numbers look about right: 1 byte = 8 bit => 120 kbytes = 960 kbits, 12 kbytes = 96 kbits

The 1 mb service is 1 megabit down and 128 kbit up (iirc), so those numbers aren't far off.

Hom3r
19-10-2005, 23:17
have you tried any speed tests
http://www.asdlguide.org.uk/tools/speedtest.asp
http://www.abeltronica.com/velocimetro/pt/?idioma=uk&newlang=uk

jrhnewark
19-10-2005, 23:19
The 1Mbps (megabits per second) service has a 100kbps (kilobits per second) upstream.

This means were talking around a maximum of 128KB/s (kilobytes per second) down and 12KB/s up.

If you're using KB/s, your figures are absolutely fine. :) (And if I might offer a little constructive criticism, for a moment, assuming you are using KB/s, the Indians do need to know what units you're working in to have a clue what you're on about. :D )

chrisy9
19-10-2005, 23:23
done a speed test.
Results

Your Connection

Direction

Actual Speed

True Speed (estimated)

Downstream965 Kbps (120.6 KB/sec)1042 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream87 Kbps (10.9 KB/sec)93 Kbps (inc. overheads)

jrhnewark
19-10-2005, 23:25
Downstream965 Kbps (120.6 KB/sec)1042 Kbps (inc. overheads)Upstream87 Kbps (10.9 KB/sec)93 Kbps (inc. overheads)Absolutely fine. :disturbd:

chrisy9
19-10-2005, 23:29
its bloody well slow at uploading under 1mb and above :(

danielf
19-10-2005, 23:29
Absolutely fine. :disturbd:

Yup! Note that the report says

Downstream965 Kbps (120.6 KB/sec)

Kbps is used for bits, and KB (capital B) for kilobytes. The numbers you mention in your first post are KB, not Kb.

BloodyL
19-10-2005, 23:31
Indian people live in the UK too you know. ;)
The whole indian thing makes me giggle, before the media whipped up a firestorm about the whole affair did people post messages saying "I'm not going to call tech support as I'll get through to swansea and those welshies don't have a clue, not to mention I can't understand their accent."? ... I think not! :)

Now, on to your other point, I take it you've been reading something like this page?

http://www.home.ntl.com/page/broadbandquestions

If that is so then the site is confusing, when it mentions the 1Mb service as 1024Kbps down and 256Kbps up, that is actually Kilobits not kilobytes, heck even the 1mb tag is actually 1 megabit not megabyte.

With this in mind your speeds look pretty average to me, maybe a touch lower that I remember it was when I was on 1Mb.

Hopefully someone who is actually associated with ntl will come along and clear things up properly.

Go on, give them a call, even if they are indian they won't bite you if you can't understand them, simply ask them to speak more slowly and clearly. :)

lol, I should learn to type quicker, there wasn't any replies here when I started! :o:

jrhnewark
19-10-2005, 23:32
its bloody well slow at uploading under 1mb and above :(Yes, that'll be something to do with the upstream speed being only a tenth of the downstream speed! :)

It's slow for everyone, we all know the upstream speed of 100kbps is stupidly slow. :(

danielf
19-10-2005, 23:33
lol, I should learn to type quicker, there wasn't any replies here when I started! :o:

You're not Indian are you (trying to type slowly and clearly) :p: :jk: ;)

BloodyL
19-10-2005, 23:38
You're not Indian are you (trying to type slowly and clearly) :p: :jk: ;)

Rofl, nope, it just took me a while to find a page on ntl's site that actually quoted the connection levels! :p:

chrisy9
19-10-2005, 23:39
Looks like NTL have confuddled me :)
thanks much.
is there anyway of tweaking the ntl modem to upload a slight bit faster??
ive got a NTL 250 box and is blue in color :D :)

jrhnewark
19-10-2005, 23:42
Looks like NTL have confuddled me :)
thanks much.
is there anyway of tweaking the ntl modem to upload a slight bit faster??
ive got a NTL 250 box and is blue in color :D :)Nope, you get what you're given - there's no way of making uploads and downloads happen any faster. Just make sure you don't use up all of your upstream bandwidth or your downloads will come to a halt. :)

Nice that you have a 250, though. :)

chrisy9
19-10-2005, 23:50
Nice that you have a 250, though. :)

lol. yeah my big bro was real mature for a 19yr old and picked up my keyboard smashed it off the desk and picked up his full scalding hot cup of tea over my pc :) while the side of it was open, Funked my ntl 200 box, 3days later ntl was out on rescue with a nice little 250 box :)

im downloading on bit torrent just now
upload : 7KB/s Download 45 KB/s

Luckily my pc and keyboard survives:)

jrhnewark
20-10-2005, 01:01
lol. yeah my big bro was real mature for a 19yr old and picked up my keyboard smashed it off the desk and picked up his full scalding hot cup of tea over my pc :) while the side of it was open, Funked my ntl 200 box, 3days later ntl was out on rescue with a nice little 250 box :)

im downloading on bit torrent just now
upload : 7KB/s Download 45 KB/s

Luckily my pc and keyboard survives:)I'll take your word for that - I'm not going to test pouring tea onto my own PC. :Yikes: :D

Good stuff - just make sure that your uploading doesn't go over about 8 or 9KB/s, otherwise the download speed will start to fall. :)