PDA

View Full Version : connection problems

desertrose
19-10-2005, 15:18
until last week my internet connection has been fine, then i started to get the error mesaage 'page can not be displayed' - i deleted my temp internet files still no luck.
on the phone to ntl i was made to do so many tests: pings, commands isp addresses were checked and finally was told my interent explorer is corrupted. I carried out a system restore and was still haveing the same prob: i then got on the phone to my pc supplier who did more tests and tld me IE is not corrupted - back on the phone to ntl who made me do the same tets told me again my IE is corrupted: apparantly my connection is fine but for some reason the pages are not being displayed - yet i can get AOL no problem.....HELP!!!! any ideas before i cancel ntl altogether.....

RoNa7dO
19-10-2005, 15:56
hav u tried using another web browser like firefox ?

atlantis
19-10-2005, 15:56
When you say you can get AOL ok, I pressume you're using the AOL software to get net access and this works OK?
Have you tried minimising AOL, and firing up internet explorer and see if this is letting you access the web.
I know AOL has nasty bugs that corrupt PC's, it's software is like a virus, takes over nearly everything, as anyone will testify who's ever tried to delete the stuff.
If you are on broadband, go to the toolbar by the clock, if there is the AOL blue symble, right mouse click on it, and I think it's on the last tab, you're looking for coach software, delete this using the options there, and when you restart, it rebuiilds this connection software.
See if this helps.

patrickp
19-10-2005, 18:39
If you're having problems viewing pages, desertrose, you may be having problems with your proxy.

Most ntl broadband users have their http traffic directed through a transparent proxy server; this caches pages and means you may be able to access them without going outside ntl's network, which saves on their bandwidth.

If you're on the PC that you're having problems with, scroll up to the top of this page and click the Connection link. This will tell you whether you're on a proxy and, if you are, which one. You may not be on one, although this is unlikely. If you are on one, make a note of the name.

Then click the Articles link, and the Proxy Server Information link on the next page. Look at the How a Proxy works article to find out more about proxies, then the How do I manually specify a proxy? article to find out how to set one. Finally, armed with this knowledge, go to the the List of NTL Proxy Servers (New Format) article, choose a new proxy to specify and try it.

It should improve matters; if not, try another one.

One thing, though, if this _does_ fix your problem, try deselecting the proxy after a week or so. Your assigned proxy may well have been fixed, or you may have been assigned to another one. If it works now, keep it like that - it helps ntl to keep their network in order if people don't specify proxies. If it still isn't fixed, go back to setting a proxy and try again in another week or so.

jonbr
20-10-2005, 12:57
This could be an issue with the modem; I had the same thing a few weeks ago. Normal reading of emails and viewing web sites was fine. BUT, when I started to download a large file (s/w update or video clip) the connection would drop, the modem reset and then be ok until I tried again. I got it to go offline completley one time and called them. Becuse the modem was off line they just sent an engineer and he replaced the modem for me. It's been fine since.

I used to have a Terayon modem, apparently they are open to damage from fluctuations in the power and we'd had several power cuts before it started to fail.