PDA

View Full Version : FILE SHARING ..is it safe ?

paul11974
24-10-2003, 21:28
ok i know millions of people do it every day ....but just how safe is file sharing ?

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 21:32
ok i know millions of people do it every day ....but just how safe is file sharing ?

from the point of view of viruses / trojans or getting nabbed for sharing ???????????????

paul11974
24-10-2003, 21:39
from the point of view of viruses / trojans or getting nabbed for sharing ???????????????

everything ..........if u r behind a firewall ect ect and virus software is up to date ....how safe r u ?

Richard M
24-10-2003, 21:52
You usually need to share *something* otherwise you'll get a bad upload score so just get a few celeb pictures or something and put those in your shared folder.
Whatever you do, don't share music or movie files because you'll most likely end up with a letter from NTL.
Music videos seem to be ok though because they are a "promotional item".

I usually disable my firewall if I'm using the ed2k network (Shareaza or eMule) because the amount of http connections will seriously increase your firewall's memory usage and slow down the PC.

paul11974
24-10-2003, 22:03
You usually need to share *something* otherwise you'll get a bad upload score so just get a few celeb pictures or something and put those in your shared folder.
Whatever you do, don't share music or movie files because you'll most likely end up with a letter from NTL.
Music videos seem to be ok though because they are a "promotional item".

I usually disable my firewall if I'm using the ed2k network (Shareaza or eMule) because the amount of http connections will seriously increase your firewall's memory usage and slow down the PC.

a few tracks a day from winmx would not warrant a letter from ntl would it ?

Richard M
24-10-2003, 22:28
You are totally safe (legally) downloading the files, it's the uploading which gets people into trouble.

Obviously, you then have to watch out for viruses but this is rarely a problem for me because I set my "Folder Options" in Windows to show all file extensions.
(Most P2P viruses will be "something.mp3.exe")