PDA

View Full Version : painting ...getting it even?

aliferste
18-10-2005, 22:44
Hiya,

I am doing a spot of painting. My gf wants one wall a different colour from all the rest and this is th eone I am painting. I have tried using masking tape in the past and have found it takes off the emulsion on the wall you are trying to protect thus causing even more of a mess so is there any tips to try ?

I tried trying to keep my hand steady and with a tiny brush but still found it pretty messy.....any tips ?

danielf
18-10-2005, 22:52
Hiya,

I am doing a spot of painting. My gf wants one wall a different colour from all the rest and this is th eone I am painting. I have tried using masking tape in the past and have found it takes off the emulsion on the wall you are trying to protect thus causing even more of a mess so is there any tips to try ?

I tried trying to keep my hand steady and with a tiny brush but still found it pretty messy.....any tips ?

Place the brush on the wall, a bit away from the edge you're trying to do. Then roll/rotate the brush towards the edge, so you're essentially only using a small bit of the brush. I hope that makes sense.

Edit: that's assuming a round brush :)

the_beast666
18-10-2005, 22:53
a steady hand and a cutting brush , have a look at your choice of diy store for a brush that has an angled edge , not a straight cut one ;)

Wicked_and_Crazy
18-10-2005, 22:57
before you put the masking tape on the wall you want to protect stick it to your clothes. This will make it less tacky and it wont damage the wall.

Personally i do it free hand with a brush, 2-3 inch brush running it length ways down the wall

MovedGoalPosts
18-10-2005, 23:24
Make sure you buy low tack masking tape. Also don't press it too hard to the wall, and finally don't leave it on for any length of time.

Angua
18-10-2005, 23:43
This technique https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2005/10/6.jpg works well. In effect you are almost "pushing" the edge of the brush into the corner.

lippy
18-10-2005, 23:46
As said by rob,
low tack tape and remove it straight after.

Tip for doing it freehand is long strokes with a quality 2" brush, don't overload the brush with paint.

Graham
19-10-2005, 02:37

I've seen tools you can get in DIY stores that are basically a long straight edge with a handle on, you put that along the edge you want to paint, then any overspill goes on the tool rather than on the other wall.

You can probably fake something up with a piece of battening and a drawer handle or similar.

Theodoric
19-10-2005, 19:44
I've seen tools you can get in DIY stores that are basically a long straight edge with a handle on, you put that along the edge you want to paint, then any overspill goes on the tool rather than on the other wall.

You can probably fake something up with a piece of battening and a drawer handle or similar.
Yes, I used to use them on the windows to prevent paint getting on the glass. They must be dirt cheap so it's hardly worth while making your own.

Angua
19-10-2005, 19:55

IIRC they used to be called a "George" do not ask me why. :shrug:

Graham
19-10-2005, 20:11

IIRC they used to be called a "George" do not ask me why. :shrug:

Why not?! :angel: :D

aliferste
20-10-2005, 14:08
Thanks for the tips guys, I will try them out :)