PDA

View Full Version : NTL Caps and Usage calculations

davidgoode
18-10-2005, 15:26
I awaiting move to 1 mb from 300k service on NTL BB - will have a 3 gb cap.

I am using a Mac prog 'MenuMeters' to log net usage as I'm sure the cap is insufficient for even normal use (despite NTL statement "more than enough for normal customers"! and their example in fact illustrates this on http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/optout/).

Strange stat on usage is showing constant activity on download amounting to 1.5 mb per hour with NO APPS running (eg.mail,browser). At this rate, leaving my pc connected will clock up 1 gb per month before any activity!

Any comments or explanation for this please?

MysticKiller
18-10-2005, 15:52
LOL. I got automatically upgraded a while ago, then about a week ago i "opted out" to go back onto 300k/30gb. I'm still on 1mb and really over using it, done about 30-50GB in the last week :D. On purpose ofcoarse because i hate NTL so much.

SMHarman
18-10-2005, 16:05
LOL. I got automatically upgraded a while ago, then about a week ago i "opted out" to go back onto 300k/30gb. I'm still on 1mb and really over using it, done about 30-50GB in the last week :D. On purpose ofcoarse because i hate NTL so much.And your neighbours I guess as it impacts them more than it impacts NTL.

Trem
18-10-2005, 16:07
LOL. I got automatically upgraded a while ago, then about a week ago i "opted out" to go back onto 300k/30gb. I'm still on 1mb and really over using it, done about 30-50GB in the last week :D. On purpose ofcoarse because i hate NTL so much.

Well done have a cookie,, i hope NTL realise this then downgrade you for the next 12 months. or charge you extra

ian@huth
18-10-2005, 16:12
LOL. I got automatically upgraded a while ago, then about a week ago i "opted out" to go back onto 300k/30gb. I'm still on 1mb and really over using it, done about 30-50GB in the last week :D. On purpose ofcoarse because i hate NTL so much.I thought that once you had moved from 300 kbps to 1 mbps that there was no going back to the lower speed. :confused:

bongman_uk
18-10-2005, 16:14
So, is there a tarrif/tier that allows you to play MORE than 6hrs of gaming a week!?

Imagine telling TV subscribers they are only allowed to watch for 6 hrs a week!

SMHarman
18-10-2005, 16:17
2Mb, which would benefit you from a higher upload speed also.

MovedGoalPosts
18-10-2005, 16:20
Please don't turn this into another merits of capping, looks how much I can do discussion. That goes in http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=34111

Further OT posts will be deleted, and/or result in the thread being merged.

This thread is specifiically to answer:
I am using a Mac prog 'MenuMeters' to log net usage as I'm sure the cap is insufficient for even normal use (despite NTL statement "more than enough for normal customers"! and their example in fact illustrates this on http://www.ntlworld.com/microsites/optout/).

Strange stat on usage is showing constant activity on download amounting to 1.5 mb per hour with NO APPS running (eg.mail,browser). At this rate, leaving my pc connected will clock up 1 gb per month before any activity!

Any comments or explanation for this please?

SMHarman
18-10-2005, 16:22
Can you see what traffic this is, acks / communication with the CM, sync traffic etc. Thats not counted (well most acks are), but may be picked up by the application.

MysticKiller
19-10-2005, 01:13
Well done have a cookie,, i hope NTL realise this then downgrade you for the next 12 months. or charge you extra

they probably wont knowing them. Welcome to Cable Forum anyway.

jonbr
20-10-2005, 13:04
Have you checked your firewall logs David. You might not be downloading any thing but that doesn't meen some thing is not trying to get into your PC.