PDA

View Full Version : EULA Question

bongman_uk
18-10-2005, 14:53
Hi all

Though this would be quicker than re-reading through all that legal cr*p

Can I buy a domain name and direct it to my NTL ip? Would NTL care (if they knew)

Chers

Bongman

18-10-2005, 15:34
cant see any problem with diretcing traffic to your NTL webspace if thats what you mean.

bongman_uk
18-10-2005, 16:04
No, I want to direct it to my Cable Modem IP, for gaming and such.

MovedGoalPosts
18-10-2005, 16:12
From Ntl's Acceptable Use Policy

17. Servers

You are solely responsible for the setup and security of all servers that you may run on your PC. You are also responsible for all traffic that may pass through your PC. We cannot be held liable for any losses or damages that may occur as a result of a compromise of your server. Please note that your account may be subject to immediate suspension or disconnection without notice, if any security breaches do occur or any server causes any degradation in network performance. You should also note that running servers on your PC may cause your own connection to operate in a less than optimal manner.
Webservers: see section 8, Websites
Remote Access: all remote access ( FTP; SSH ; PC Anywhere etc) must be password protected and the address must not be publicly advertised.
Games: if the game in question has a password/IP access restriction option this must be used. Your IP address must not be publicly advertised on gaming sites etc.
Emails:you must ensure that you do not enable the sending of unsolicited bulk email by others. This applies to both material that originates on your system and also third party material that might pass through it. This includes but is not limited to a prohibition on running an "open mail relay", ie a machine which accepts mail from unauthorized or unknown senders and forwards it to a destination outside of your machine or network. If your machine does relay mail, on an authorized basis, then it must record its passing through your system by means of an appropriate "received" line.
Other: you may run other servers but be aware that we reserve the right to restrict access to them should they cause network problems or should we receive complaints from other customers.
We may, at our sole discretion, run manual or automatic systems to determine your compliance with our User Policy (e.g. scanning for "open mail relays"). You are deemed to have granted permission for this limited intrusion onto your network or machine.
Please be aware that we do not offer any DNS services, e.g. Domain Name Redirection. The ntlworld service is based on dynamic IP addressing and you must not specify IP addresses (other than DNS servers) in the network settings for your Internet connection.
Please note that should we receive any complaints about any server that you may be running that your Internet access may be suspended without notice pending further investigation

So yep you can do it. provided you don't affect others, and it's residential use, not a commercial service. Bear in mind your IP isn't fixed so any domain would need to be directed through a service such as www.no-ip.com

SMHarman
18-10-2005, 16:13
you could do the same with no-ip.com and yes you can do this as long as it does not impact other users.
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=36818

bongman_uk
18-10-2005, 16:22
n1 lads, cheers

My ip doesnt change regularly anyway... Ive had the same one for about 6 months

ill change it manually when i need to