PDA

View Full Version : Dixons are breaking street release dates!!

alexcopeland
25-06-2003, 10:03
tut tut!!!

Midtown Madness 3 is to be released on Friday 27th June 2003 say Game and there respective website
Game.uk.com (http://shop.game.net/default.aspx)

So how come people are able to buy it from Dixons. In my opinion Dixons should be contacted by Microsoft UK to discuss this matter.

Yes I know I really want this game and if I had a chance I would buy it early from Dixon. But can they sell it early and get away with it?

eddie00001
25-06-2003, 10:06
Not sure, but I'm not going to argue, especially with their 17.5% discount at the moment :D

Caspar
25-06-2003, 10:10
Originally posted by alexcopeland
tut tut!!!

Midtown Madness 3 is to be released on Friday 27th June 2003 say Game and there respective website

So how come people are able to buy it from Dixons. In my opinion Dixons should be contacted by Microsoft UK to discuss this matter.

Yes I know I really want this game and if I had a chance I would buy it early from Dixon. But can they sell it early and get away with it?

Who cares???? we get the game a week early! What's the problem? :spin:

...a week later then sure...but not early

alexcopeland
25-06-2003, 10:12
Well it defeats the whole purpose of having street dates. Why don't they just sell the games when they come in stock.

alexcopeland
25-06-2003, 10:16
My arguement is that if there is a release date and it is not out yet. Then Dixons are cashing in on it before anyone else which isn't fare trading.

Caspar
25-06-2003, 10:18
Well it defeats the whole purpose of having street dates. Why don't they just sell the games when they come in stock.

You are right...there is bound to be something that governs the release..online and offline.

What that is who knows, we need an informed person here...

..but from our perspective....we get it when it comes out..on release date or when someone finds somewhere that sells it early...

alexcopeland
25-06-2003, 10:21
Well lets hope that someone reads this thread and can tell us if Dixons will get a bitch slap from Microsoft for selling the game Midtown Madness 3 to early.

If you are better than me on LIVE at the game I will blame Dixons LOL!!!

Ste Riley
25-06-2003, 10:22
If Dixons or any other retailer has the game in they might as well sell it!

I dont see the harm in it being sold early, I bet any other retailer would do the same also if they had chance.

The Dixons chain have had a few games out early now, I say keep it up.

alexcopeland
25-06-2003, 10:26
I'm sure that a publishers will stop giving retailers stock if they don't sell it on there street release date.

Boom
25-06-2003, 10:27
I'm sure if they were to make the practice more common of selling new releases earlier than the release date, other high-street and online retailers would b*tch very quickly.

I'm sure, they'll get away with one offs like this. Normally I wouldn't buy squat from Dixons/Currys.

However, at the price they're asking for MM3, I'm not complaining.

As a matter of fact, I'm probably going to pick up BF today.

Caspar
25-06-2003, 10:46
If you are better than me on LIVE at the game I will blame Dixons LOL!!!

no chance at that m8...I'm the worst there is when it comes to gaming! (after Jar thatis ;) )

you maybe as well drive backwards when you play me....just to give me a chance!

alexcopeland
25-06-2003, 10:51
Well I look forward to seeing you on LIVE with MM3

Caspar
25-06-2003, 11:17
Well I look forward to seeing you on LIVE with MM3

add me....or reveal to me your GamerTag.... :D

Reddevil63
25-06-2003, 13:56
I don't care if Dixons or any other shop are breaking the law selling games early.

I think its great!

kronas
25-06-2003, 14:08
Originally posted by Reddevil63
I don't care if Dixons or any other shop are breaking the law selling games early.

I think its great!

indeed and a big :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up: :2up:

for those of you who complain to MS and get them in to trouble they are doing you a favor by putting games up for sale early so you can get them quicker i thought people would want that :confused:

scotsbraveheart
25-06-2003, 14:14
is alex an EX Dixons employee who left on bad terms? :shrug:

Caspar
25-06-2003, 14:21
Originally posted by scotsbraveheart
is alex an EX Dixons employee who left on bad terms? :shrug:

nah!...I think he's just miffed he bought it online for more and get's it on day of release! :D

scotsbraveheart
25-06-2003, 14:40
theres just no pleasing some people :shrug:

XiceWolf
25-06-2003, 15:35
midtown madness is brilliant caspar you about on it today or 2nite ?

Boom
25-06-2003, 15:38
Xicey, I'll be on tonight.

Caspar
25-06-2003, 15:47
Originally posted by XiceWolf
midtown madness is brilliant caspar you about on it today or 2nite ?

will be on it l8tr m8 :)

manowar68
25-06-2003, 15:48
tut tut!!!

What is your point,bloody hell the game comes out early and you are complaning about it...........LIKE WHY:spin:

Jarandco
25-06-2003, 16:35
Originally posted by Caspar
no chance at that m8...I'm the worst there is when it comes to gaming! (after Jar thatis ;) )

you maybe as well drive backwards when you play me....just to give me a chance!

:eek: I beat u at sof2, and ill thrash u at mm3 even if u have a 1 week headstart!:D

Jarandco
25-06-2003, 16:35
Originally posted by XiceWolf
midtown madness is brilliant caspar you about on it today or 2nite ? Xice i am ashamed of u!:eek:

Caspar
25-06-2003, 16:47
Originally posted by Jarandco
:eek: I beat u at sof2, and ill thrash u at mm3 even if u have a 1 week headstart!:D

Change the record UberPointer! :p

Jarandco
25-06-2003, 16:58
Originally posted by Caspar
Change the record UberPointer! :p

a what?:confused:

DannyA
25-06-2003, 17:24
In Nottingham we have 2 independant retailers - well one is now an ex-independant.

Another World and Gamestation.

It's a race to see who gives in first. Which ever one does, the other follows suit. They normally have every game on sale a day early.

Talking about paranoid suppliers, did you hear how Nintendo are comming down like a tonn of bricks on importers for selling those crappy Pokemon GBA games months early?

The two afforementioned retailers have always done that, why go after the small fry import shops?

Boom
25-06-2003, 17:26
Because N didn't bother to enforce some country coding on games for GBA and N doesn't bother to keep prices in Europe inline with the rest of the world (not to mention the fact that they release stuff earlier in Japan and the US).

XiceWolf
25-06-2003, 17:47
Jar iam sorry but not my fault the guy released it early, it wasnt from dixons though so thats a good thing :D i had to pay the full price aswell cos i had to use up store credit :(

alexcopeland
25-06-2003, 18:30
I am an employee of Dixons and I do not have any problems with them. I was trying to get the point across that a release date is a release date.

I will buy MM3 as soon as possible and look forward to kicking all of your arse's too!

kronas
25-06-2003, 18:36
I am an employee of Dixons and I do not have any problems with them. I was trying to get the point across that a release date is a release date.

i see well i would rather have it asap rather then it sitting in the back collecting dust i want to buy and play the title whatever it is i want

NEONKNIGHT
25-06-2003, 18:45
To add my two pennies worth to this thread, I would'nt buy anything from Curry's on principal. I had my 'fingers burnt' by them once and vowed never to do business with them again. On the other side of the argument, I think GAME have the best customer service and would not buy from anyother retailer. I've had nothing but complete satisfaction with GAME customer service and policy's. For me, that's enough reason to remain a 'loyal' customer and to wait for the official release date. And no, before you ask, I don't work for GAME...:p

Boom
25-06-2003, 19:09
NK, I don't like Dixons/Currys either, but, on this occasion, it was worth cancelling my online order and buying from them.

Caspar
25-06-2003, 20:14
I cancelled my online order when a found a cheaper alternative...simple as that!

Shop loyalty...what world do you live in.....they dont give a stuff about us....so why should we about them!....

Price is the most important thing, period!

Caspar
25-06-2003, 20:14
Originally posted by DannyA
In Nottingham we have 2 independant retailers - well one is now an ex-independant.

Another World and Gamestation.

It's a race to see who gives in first. Which ever one does, the other follows suit. They normally have every game on sale a day early.

Talking about paranoid suppliers, did you hear how Nintendo are comming down like a tonn of bricks on importers for selling those crappy Pokemon GBA games months early?

The two afforementioned retailers have always done that, why go after the small fry import shops?

Gamestation arn't small fry or independant....they are owned by Blockbusters.....:spin:

Emperordalek
25-06-2003, 22:09
Saw Gamestation in Middlesbrough selling a second hand copy of MM3 on Monday. Wouldn't sell any new copy though.(I enquired out of curiosity)

Double standards or what!

alexcopeland
25-06-2003, 22:16
I think by now we can all see that it is good to be able to buy a game before it is released officially.

Should any store whether it be a large chain of stores or an independent store by able to get away with releasing a game such as MM3 before it's release date?

NEONKNIGHT
26-06-2003, 00:05
Shop loyalty...what world do you live in.....they dont give a stuff about us....so why should we about them!....

You're completely wrong. The GAME store that I use and have been using for the last couple of years has been exceptional. The Manageress and staff all know me, by name, always treat me with respect, gone out of their way to help, in fact I can't find a single fault with them or the store. They know who their regular customer's are and have even given me better deals on games and hardware without me even having to ask. And that goes for the price promise too. I think everything that I've wrote down so far proves the point that they do give a stuff, especially to 'loyal' customers. I can't think of any other store or outlet that could match them in terms of customer service.

Price is the most important thing, period!

Money is'nt everything you know...!:shrug:

Reddevil63
26-06-2003, 02:17
Originally posted by NEONKNIGHT
You're completely wrong. The GAME store that I use and have been using for the last couple of years has been exceptional. The Manageress and staff all know me, by name, always treat me with respect, gone out of their way to help, in fact I can't find a single fault with them or the store. They know who their regular customer's are and have even given me better deals on games and hardware without me even having to ask. And that goes for the price promise too. I think everything that I've wrote down so far proves the point that they do give a stuff, especially to 'loyal' customers. I can't think of any other store or outlet that could match them in terms of customer service.

Money is'nt everything you know...!:shrug:

Funny you should say that Neon but its the same for my local Game shop. Very friendly and they know the good loyal customers. Always have a chat with the mad Irish manager and his troops and they always give me a good deal esp with trade-ins as I look after my games.
I can't fault them one bit. If I phone them up and get the manager on the phone and want to hold some new games for me, he straight away knows it is me and also asks if my bro wants a holded copy too. That in my books is excellent customer service!

manowar68
26-06-2003, 05:34
Originally posted by Reddevil63
Funny you should say that Neon but its the same for my local Game shop. Very friendly and they know the good loyal customers. Always have a chat with the mad Irish manager and his troops and they always give me a good deal esp with trade-ins as I look after my games.
I can't fault them one bit. If I phone them up and get the manager on the phone and want to hold some new games for me, he straight away knows it is me and also asks if my bro wants a holded copy too. That in my books is excellent customer service!

Yes i'll agree to that;)

manowar68
26-06-2003, 05:42
Who care's if a game is out early or not,is it not better for us gamers..........I think it is.
If its out a week early then great,if not like most games we all wait.

Would you be saying the same thing if it was halo2 out a week early........I DON'T THINK SO.

Come on now,you know it makes sence:Peace:

alexcopeland
26-06-2003, 08:48
So anyone who is about to reserve a copy of Halo2 from anywhere whether it be Special Reserve, Game or even Play.com. Don't bother, just go to Dixons one week earlier!!LOL

Caspar
26-06-2003, 08:50
I can assure you Halo2 will not be released un-noticed....the new flag ship game will be released in a blaze of glory..I bet!!!! ;)

DannyA
26-06-2003, 09:49
Caspar, you didn't take the time to read my post!!!

Gamestation arn't small fry or independant....they are owned by Blockbusters.....

But i said ....

And before they were bought, yes they were small fry.

If you remember Escom computers in the early 90's had over 350 shops, but they were small fry.

Yes Blockbusters own them now. Just like EB-US don't own EB-UK anymore - Game UK do.

zoombini
26-06-2003, 10:09
I used to think Game was really cr^p, that the prices and offers were always higher than elsewhere.

It is only now that I have used the 10 day policy and the price match guarantee that I prefer to use them.

I have never seen another xbox game selling shop that will trade in and sell used games. Useful if you want a current game but do not want to pay full price for it.

I have bought games from Dixons, but only because they were doing a buy 2 get 1 free offer.
I did not try asking Game if they would match that.
But when it comes down to it, If I know that I will be keeping the game I would purchase it from wherever I get it the cheapest. what you get is the same game, so its all a matter of price then.

Caspar
26-06-2003, 10:17
Originally posted by DannyA
Caspar, you didn't take the time to read my post!!!

But i said ....

And before they were bought, yes they were small fry.

If you remember Escom computers in the early 90's had over 350 shops, but they were small fry.

Yes Blockbusters own them now. Just like EB-US don't own EB-UK anymore - Game UK do.

Get out of town.....that was hardly a leading statement...or seemingly assocaited (IMO) !!!

:D

Ste Riley
26-06-2003, 14:13
Handbags at dawn.

Dixons dont have MM3 round our way and Game refuse to sell it even though they have it in stock!

Tomorrow I'm going to buy it from Game at £33 and laugh... :S

Boom
26-06-2003, 14:17
I like MM3's rating of 3+.

Like what a 2 year-old is gonna pop-in to Dixons with a wad of cash or his parent's credit/debit card?

I can't see anything that would harm a 3+ year old and not 3- year old when playing the game. Maybe its the game packaging where a 3- year old could eat the game disc and manual where obviously a 3+ year old would rather have a sarnie.

Now that I've written this I realise why I spend so many late nights at work.

NEONKNIGHT
26-06-2003, 17:07
I can't see anything that would harm a 3+ year old and not 3- year old when playing the game. Maybe its the game packaging where a 3- year old could eat the game disc and manual where obviously a 3+ year old would rather have a sarnie.

ROTFL:D Classic!:)

Caspar
26-06-2003, 18:51
Originally posted by Boom
I like MM3's rating of 3+.

Like what a 2 year-old is gonna pop-in to Dixon's with a wad of cash or his parent's credit/debit card?

I can't see anything that would harm a 3+ year old and not 3- year old when playing the game. Maybe its the game packaging where a 3- year old could eat the game disco and manual where obviously a 3+ year old would rather have a sarnie.

Now that I've written this I realize why I spend so many late nights at work.

I did find the interface quite refreshing...somewhat playskook!

It looks fun and covers the game quite well I think...when you see that interface you know what type of game you've got!!!

...as opposed to MC2, which is completly opposite!

alexcopeland
26-06-2003, 20:25
I'm going to be forming an orderly que out side Game in Stevenage town centre if anyone cares to join me?

Boom
27-06-2003, 10:14
No need already have the games I wanted (except BF).

I'm going to be forming an orderly que out side Game in Stevenage town centre if anyone cares to join me?

Caspar
27-06-2003, 10:42

As Boom says...no need we've alreayd got the game!..haven't you been paying attention :confused:

:D

zoombini
27-06-2003, 13:55
Just to let you know, Stevenage police have been informed that there may be a suspicious character lurking outside a Game store in the town and that he is a highly dangerous member of an PS2 vs Xbox Terrorist group.

:D :D

alexcopeland
27-06-2003, 16:19
Please help me! I have been arrested on suspicion of terrorist activities in and around Stevenage town centre. I haven't been unable to buy myself a copy of MM3. Could someone please get me a copy before they sell out?

Caspar
27-06-2003, 16:21
Please help me! I have been arrested on suspicion of terrorist activities in and around Stevenage town centre. I haven't been unable to buy myself a copy of MM3. Could someone please get me a copy before they sell out?

Don't you just wish you bought it last week now!!!! :D

alexcopeland
27-06-2003, 17:38
I'll never learn!

zoombini
27-06-2003, 18:26
You were warned!

Serves you right for wandering around the shop with a tablecloth on your head and a knee length beard. (no offence to muslims etc intended).

And if that was not enough, why did you have to carry a GR weapons manual in a clear carrier bag?

That was a dead give away..

scotsbraveheart
27-06-2003, 19:43
Originally posted by zoombini
You were warned!

Serves you right for wandering around the shop with a tablecloth on your head and a knee length beard. (no offence to muslims etc intended).

no offence taken :rolleyes:

alexcopeland
27-06-2003, 22:47
It was an AK47. Get it right

"When you absolutely gotta kill every mother f***er in the room, except no substitute!"

Boom
04-07-2003, 10:28
Did say someone would eventually get caught (rightly or wrongly) for this if the game was a big enough name. Mind you by all accounts the new Tomb Raider blows major monkey balls!

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?section_name=ret&aid=1876

Caspar
04-07-2003, 10:44
I though this bit was interesing...

"We have always worked very closely with publishers to uphold release dates," a GAME spokesperson told gi.biz this afternoon. "This is a completely unusual situation, and it has not happened before.... We will support street dates but not at the expense of losing customers."

It seems that it's not-law breaking to do this....it's just requests from publishers.

"not happened before" ...yeah right!!!!! :D

...no mention of Dixons in there!!....and they are moaning at two days!... I know someone who finished MC2 before the release date even came!!! (not me!!!)

I tell you who the real winners are:

1. Comsumer (obvisouly)....competitions is always good for us!

2. Publisher (Edios in this case)...mass national exposure for their game...they must be laughing this morning!!!

Boom
04-07-2003, 10:48
Couldn't care less about this either. Another storm in a teacup.

NEONKNIGHT
04-07-2003, 13:44
Wrote an email to GAME about this situation. They gave the same sort of responce as in Caspar's quote and they also gave me 2000 reward card points (£20) for being such a 'loyal' customer.:D