PDA

View Full Version : my last responsetek on bb problems

Chrysalis
17-10-2005, 20:40
I just sent of 2 more responsetek's on the following problems, if anyone has been affected by the same issue's please send of a responsetek so the number's are increased.

1 - Peering congestion on traffic going through 62.253.185.254, this will probably be traffic going to europe that goes through amsterdam, it affects traffic throughput almost every evening and causes latency problems. This one needs to be fixed soon as I expect it to become noticeable worse when upgrades are rolled out.

2 - cogent problems, ntl's bgp isnt picking the best route it seems to be using cogent to any provider that has cogent in a bgp mix, whilst this has mostly been ok since the congestion was fixed it causes problem's when cogent drop's which has happened 3 times during the last 2 days, I have asked them for now to force change my route to a handful of ip's only as I know ntl wont mass change to more expensive routing, in the longer term I hope a policy change happens tho.

thanks.

Chris W
17-10-2005, 21:23
Isn't responsetek for providing feedback rather than reporting technical issues for ntl?

IMO this should be done by phone, through BB Medic or the ntl contact us form.

nate
17-10-2005, 21:30
plus i dont think ntl will force change one persons routing to specific IP's, or, at all.

Ignition
17-10-2005, 22:38
2 - cogent problems, ntl's bgp isnt picking the best route it seems to be using cogent to any provider that has cogent in a bgp mix, whilst this has mostly been ok since the congestion was fixed it causes problem's when cogent drop's which has happened 3 times during the last 2 days, I have asked them for now to force change my route to a handful of ip's only as I know ntl wont mass change to more expensive routing, in the longer term I hope a policy change happens tho.

thanks.

Know how BGP works?

The above might make more sense to you if you do!

Chrysalis
18-10-2005, 00:39
BGP is supposed to take the best route, and reroute if a route goes down, at least as far as I know. If that is wrong please explain ignition. But from I seeing it is configured to use the cheapest route, and there are dozens of isp's that have cogent in a bgp all doing the same thing it is an easy trap to fall into. Also if a route is depreferenced a equal bgp configuration should reroute accordingly.

3 possible routes to host in question.

abovenet - 160ms 13 hops
nrs - 180ms 10 hops
cogent - 210 ms 19 hops

cogent route is used, cogent dropped for 9 minutes no rerouting occured.

Isn't responsetek for providing feedback rather than reporting technical issues for ntl?

IMO this should be done by phone, through BB Medic or the ntl contact us form.

Phone is impossible as tech support refuse to forward reported problems, I dont know of any contact us form. I will have a look but would be good if you have the url thanks. Out of interest tho, mods here have been telling people to fill in responsetek's to report issue's as well as ianuk been doing so and now you just brought this up as not the way to do it.

I found the contact us and filling this in now as well thanks.

Chrysalis
19-10-2005, 23:28
Chris in addition the contact us form has 2 more problems, the first is it hasnt been updated for over a year it has 150k/600k and 1meg as the tier's. Second it goes along with the impression I get that ntl are only here to provide an internet browsing service as at the end no matter what option I chose it asks which website gives me the problem, when it isn't a website problem, but I am currently awaiting a response anyhow.

Ignition I dont know if the following means anything to you.

http://smakd.potaroo.net/cgi-bin/prefix-report?pfx=72.20.0.0%2F18&incl=spec&hist=recent

Chrysalis
22-10-2005, 05:38
Couple of updates.

1 - Using the RIPE database I contacted a NTL senior tech directly bypassing all the obstacles :) and mentioned my cogent routing issue as well as asking why NTL didnt reroute around level3 when it dropped earlier today, I asked if they using static routes rather then dynamic.

He didnt even comment on the level3 issue but did his own checks on cogent and as it was fine at the time he said to me he see's no problem in the continuation of using it and wont set me a exception rule. Bad answer for me but at least I know how much I am valued and have spoken with someone directly now which is progress, although it was a shame I had to use my own means to get the message to the relevant person and he wasn't happy a customer contacted him :D told me to use tech support next time.

2 - The contact us form on the ntl site has sent me a message back bounced saying it is undeliverable, not surprising considering the form is 2 years out of date and seems to have recieved no attention for a long time.