PDA

View Full Version : phone number of NTL engineers westminster

Philip
17-10-2005, 19:10
Hi.

I have been trying to get connected to NTL broadband in W2 London.

During his 2nd visit the engineer of NTL found out that BT had had a problem with the preparation work. There had been no feedback to the NTL guy, so I took a morning off work for nothing.

Then the guy left, telling he would call me for another appointment, which he never did. Since then I have been talking with sales mainly, and just put on hold or put through to other people who cannot help me.

Then a letter arrived stating the preperation would cost £200,00 , which was going to be paid by NTL. I needed to confirm I wanted to continue, which I did. Then another letter arrived, with a request to get an indemnity declaration signed by the owners of the flat where the work needs to be done. After I found them of course they said no. So now I'm stuck. I'm trying to get hold of the persons in NTL who might be able to answer my questions.

This all is going on in between my normal job. I spend a lot of time abbroad so I cannot call the 0800 numbers.

Last week I checked out the situation in the apartment myself, and if I understand the job correctly it should not be too tough. So why all this trouble? And then there is no one who has an overview, or at least I cannot find them. Even though I know there must be some install engineers in the area I do not know how to reach them. So here come the questions.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PHONE NUMBER FOR THE ENGINEERS WHO WORK IN WESTMINSTER TO INSTALL NTL BROADBAND?

DOES ANYONE HAVE SOME EXPERIENCE WITH PREPERATION WORK BY BT NOT BEING DONE, OR NEEDING AN INDEMNITY DECLARATION?

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE PHONENUMBER OF THE ENGINEERS OF BT IN WESTMINSTER WHO MIGHT KNOW WHAT THE PREPARATION WORK MIGHT CONSIST OFF AND WHERE THE PROBLEM MIGHT BE, AND HOW BIG THE DAMAGE OF THEIR WORK MIGHT BE?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Paul
17-10-2005, 19:23
BT Engineers will not respond to direct calls from the public.

Chris W
17-10-2005, 21:07
:welcome:

By "indemnity declaration" do you mean a Right of Access form? If so, without this, ntl can't do anything because the land owner must complete this because it is a wayleave agreement for services to be run on the property.

I'm not quite sure what interaction is needed with BT here- which services have you ordered?

Neil
17-10-2005, 21:54
*Moved to ntl billing & Installation forum*

Philip
18-10-2005, 09:36
Thanks for your replies

I can imagine that there is no official phone number to talk directly with engineers, but it would be nice to talk to someone who actually knows what is going on. If I call NTL I always end up talking to the sales department who know nothing.

So, either I get a number from someone who actually operates in my area and who might get me on the phone with the person who came to see my house, or I keep talking to the lovely sales team for another three months.

The indemnity declaration regards the consequences of the work done by BT. They somehow do not want to take responsibility for any damage done to the property during the installation work. Well then it is logical that the owners do not want to sign this. I think NTL should sign the declaration, but I'm not a lawyer.

I ordered 1Mb broadband using cable of NTL

ian@huth
18-10-2005, 11:25
1 Mb cable broadband does not use anything that BT provides. Why is BT involved in your situation?

quadplay
18-10-2005, 11:30
Westminster is in a strange situation. The area was originally cabled by Westminster Cable, a division of BT. However, some time in the early 1990's, BT were told to sell their cable franchises as they were stifling competition. As such, the rights to the Westminster and Milton Keynes (and possibly more) franchises were sold to ntl.

However, BT still owns the ducting and cabling, and does the installs - and that's why the Indemnity from BT needs to be signed before the install can go ahead. It's also the reason ntl can't provide residential telephony, broadband or digital TV in Milton Keynes - the (BT-built) network isn't up to the job.

Philip
18-10-2005, 12:13
But then again who should sign the indemnity. NTL or the homeowner? And how can the homeowner sign without the proper information. And how do I get the proper information regarding the work that needs to be done? From the salesgirl? Anybody an idea who I might contact to get some feedback?

quadplay
18-10-2005, 12:23
You could try Barbican & Westminster Customer Services - they're a seperate team on 0800 952 0345, and might be able to help you.

techguy
09-04-2006, 23:01
Westminster is in a strange situation. The area was originally cabled by Westminster Cable, a division of BT. However, some time in the early 1990's, BT were told to sell their cable franchises as they were stifling competition. As such, the rights to the Westminster and Milton Keynes (and possibly more) franchises were sold to ntl.

However, BT still owns the ducting and cabling, and does the installs - and that's why the Indemnity from BT needs to be signed before the install can go ahead. It's also the reason ntl can't provide residential telephony, broadband or digital TV in Milton Keynes - the (BT-built) network isn't up to the job.

Check this out - it's from a government website dated 2005 - notice the bit that says the Milton Keynes network has already been upgraded to broadband cable. But as we know, this is far from reality.... or is it?!

http://www.voa.gov.uk/instructions/chapters/rating_manual/vol5/sect870/frame.htm

"Narrowband and Upgraded Narrowband networks, offering the basic (analogue) terrestrial TV and radio channels, continue to decline as satellite is widely available and the larger networks such as Milton Keynes and Bracknell have been converted to Broadband cable networks."