PDA

View Full Version : Fox in my garden

Escapee
17-10-2005, 14:34
I have just seen a fox in my back garden, I thought that a bit strange at 2pm.

I haven't seen one around here for a long time, I often see them on my way to work at around 6am. I was surprised how big this one was, and I got fairly close before he ran off.

I wonder if he's out in the daylight because he's very hungry?

I noticed a cat that hangs about here and appears to be stray in the back garden, so perhaps he was looking at him for some lunch.

Chris
17-10-2005, 14:40
Might have been disturbed from his usual snoozing spot and looking for somewhere else for a quiet kip? I've only seen one once in the middle of the day, and it was lame in one paw. Did it appear well?

homealone
17-10-2005, 14:50
the most we have had at once is 6 :Yikes: - that was mum, dad & 4 cubs - that was in the summer & they were actually sunbathing - well, snoozing in the sunshine.

They looked cute, but we know from experience how much damage they can cause, digging under the pond liner, ripping holes in the lawn & emptying plant pots, so we are trying a PIR operated ultrasonic 'scarer', now, it will be interesting to see if it works.

Hom3r
17-10-2005, 15:00
I remember my mum telling me when se was about 6 she lived in the country and fox hunters (scumbags) chased a fox it jumped into their garden and hide inside ther shed, my nan blocked the hole it had entered by. after which the garden was filled with dogs trying to rip the fox into little pieces, and blokes on horses demaning the fox (they also said that they had rights to ehter the garden to get the fox), she was holding a frying pan and told them to sod off or get hit, they gave up and buggered of leaving her garden ruined, a couple of hours later she let the fox escape.

You could leave food out for it but I don't know what.

Escapee
17-10-2005, 15:04
Might have been disturbed from his usual snoozing spot and looking for somewhere else for a quiet kip? I've only seen one once in the middle of the day, and it was lame in one paw. Did it appear well?

Yes he did look fairly healthy and very large, he had no trouble clearing the 4 foot fence on the other side of the path. I guess he could of been disturbed and could of been snoozing on the embankment between the road and my house, the kids have yet again broken into the empty house next door and they come up the embankment to get in.

I have been close to one before many years ago when he froze (both of us did) about 10 feet in front of me, but that was around 6am ish.

homealone
17-10-2005, 15:05
<snip>
You could leave food out for it but I don't know what.

don't have to round here - there are enough people throwing half eaten kebabs, pizzas & fish n chips in the street, to keep them fed :(

lippy
17-10-2005, 15:12
Got all excited then,
thought it was going to be a story about some babe! :(

marky
17-10-2005, 15:14
Got all excited then,
thought it was going to be a story about some babe! :( You and me both. :(

Escapee
17-10-2005, 15:18
You and me both. :(

I do have a babe story from this morning, perhaps I will start a new thread.

Then again it's sure to upset someone!

Bill C
17-10-2005, 15:31
I have just seen a fox in my back garden, I thought that a bit strange at 2pm.

I haven't seen one around here for a long time, I often see them on my way to work at around 6am. I was surprised how big this one was, and I got fairly close before he ran off.

I wonder if he's out in the daylight because he's very hungry?

I noticed a cat that hangs about here and appears to be stray in the back garden, so perhaps he was looking at him for some lunch.

If it comes back get some photo's of it to post on here :).

Escapee
17-10-2005, 15:34
If it comes back get some photo's of it to post on here :).

I have a photo of the path and the fence I can post:D

He was quick!

jonbr
17-10-2005, 15:44
Because Gordon Brown, and all the others before him, keep allowing the woodlands to be cut down, the foxes are having to come into built up areas. Foxes do roam freely in woodland at any time of day, but now they have to come into towns to get food. Also, it doesn't help that today people don't use litter bins for their uneaten kebabs etc....

Salu
17-10-2005, 16:06
Now that fox hunting is banned I would expect that we will see more and more...

Bill C
17-10-2005, 16:37
I have a photo of the path and the fence I can post:D

He was quick!

:LOL:

bob_a_builder
17-10-2005, 16:41
people don't use litter bins for their uneaten kebabs etc.... Haven't a lot of the bins been removed so people don't put something a little louder and more likely to grab your attention, in them - I know they have in some cities

Halcyon
17-10-2005, 17:23
Foxes are coool.
We have them from time to time and they definately come out at night as I can hear them.
Late in the evening I often see some in the streets or very early in the morning in the garden.
What suprises me is how big they can get, yet when they dissapear, they manage to fit through a small hole in the hedge to the neext garden.
They can do a lot of damage, but they are really such great animals. It always makes my day when I see one.

Theodoric
17-10-2005, 18:33
We get one every now and then. Walks bold as brass down the length of the back garden.