PDA

View Full Version : Win2K/USB/Ethernet issue

stephen5131
17-10-2005, 12:36
Apologies everyone if this is dupe thread - I had a look through the last 5 pages and didn't find anything similar;

I have a 2Mb connection, running via Ethernet on my XP machine - no probs. Works perfectly.

I'm giving a friend and old Patriot PC running Win2K and was using my connection to install programs and updates before handing it over.

What I've found happening is the following.

Connecting via Ethernet the 2Mb speed last for about 10mins then drops altogether. All lights stay lit on the modem (TJ210). A reboot of PC & Modem restarts the connection, but within 10mins it goes again.

So, I tried using USB incase the old PC's network card is crapping out; initially the connection (using Robin Walkers speed test) was showing as slow as 120 kbits. The connection never dopped, but it always remained very very slow.

I uninstalled the modem and updated the drivers from the Terayon website, which, via USB, allowed me to connect at a steady 2Mb. However, after about 10-15mins it drops down to 120 Kbits again. It doesn't drop entirely, just s.l.o.w.

Any ideas? Is it the hardware? My modem is fine and my connection is fine, so I'm only left with thinking that the PC is the problem. Cables are fine - drivers appear to be the latest versions :erm:

SMHarman
17-10-2005, 12:43
An older PC could be the problem in that it cannot process the information being thrown at it quickly enough, therefore not send ack packets back quick enough slowing down the connection.

Has the MTU been set to 1500?

stephen5131
17-10-2005, 13:23
erm....MTU?! lol

Sorry, I should point out that this PC was my main desktop for about a year and I had no bother running the 1Mb connection I had. It has been reformatted since.

SMHarman
17-10-2005, 19:44
http://www.zensupport.co.uk/tools.aspx?page=511

stephen5131
18-10-2005, 08:01
Cheers Harman, that's good to know.

I booted up Linux from CD to see if it was hardware or software - seemed to be the software.

I actualy got fed up and installed XP instead. Seems to be holding now - it must have been that Windows 2000. (I loaded Win2K as the PC specs are 500mhz/128MB RAM/4GB HDD).

Thanks for your consideration.