PDA

View Full Version : Pipex?+BT line+Sky??

SilverFox
17-10-2005, 11:26
I'm currently paying ntl £62.49 per month for TalkUnlimited24 'phone/TVfamily pack+ 1Mb BB.
Could I get a better package by getting my BT landline re-instated + a Sky package similar to the ntl family pack + say, Pipex BB ??

Any thoughts/comments/better suggestions, etc.

My area of north cardiff is OK for up to 2Mb BB according to an online checking service.

andygrif
17-10-2005, 11:38
It's a difficult question without looking at how you use your phone. If you make a lot of calls during the day, then you're probably better off with an unlimited calling plan. Both BT and ntl's are fairly similarly priced. If you're out at work during the day, I would question why you're on this package, instead you should look at a cheaper one that gives you unlimited calls during the evening and weekend. You might also want to consider the 5p talk plan - which is FREE from ntl (same as BT), which gives you up to 60 minutes for 5p (including the connection fee) for all landlines in the UK. Personally, that plan works well for me as this is when I make most calls.

Also, if you have a mobile phone and call other people on their mobiles too, use your mobile to do this, with your all inclusive minutes allocation. It's far cheaper than using ntl to call mobiles, especially during the day, when some of their costs are in excess of 20p per minute.

You can certainly get better 3rd party deals than ntl, but only with a BT line - such as SkyTalk (where you get >40% saving on most calls) OneTel or Tele2.

The TV package is pretty much the same price (actually I think Sky is presently a quid or so a month more, but no doubt ntl will be putting up their prices again in the next few months).

There are certainly better deals available on broadband, depending on your use. Personally, bearing in mind my usage is probably different to yours, I would go with Sky (becuase the interactive service is better), BT (becuase you get a better range of 3rd party providers at a MUCH cheaper rate) and stick with ntl for the broadband (so that you can take advantage of the major speed upgrades next year).

SilverFox
17-10-2005, 12:51
Thanks Andy.

As I'm retired and my wife is semi-retired the 'phone gets used at all hours.
Most of our landline calls seem to be local 400-600 mins/mth plus 100-200 nationals, a few int'l amd then the one which irks most the 'other direct dialled' which are mostly NG1/NG3 (I really begrudge paying for these with 'an all-in package') and 20/30 mins to mobiles.
We have a mobile but don't use it very much.

Has anyone out there experience of Pipex BB as their current BB/phone package seems attractive?

djorgensen
02-11-2005, 10:27
I'd drop the BT call plan and stick with the BT line and decent ADSL provider and then get yourself a VOIP line, vonage do unlimited uk calls for £9.99 a month and all you need is an adapater, i purchased one a few weeks ago from Staples in Grange Town cardiff. Works a treat!

quadplay
02-11-2005, 10:34
Hi SilverFox,

It looks like you're eligible for a Value Pack discount, but aren't getting it - the package you're on qualifies for an £8.50 saving, meaning you should be paying £53.99 per month instead of £62.49. If you call Customer Services (0800 052 2000, Option 5) and ask them to check, they should be able to add the Value Pack discount on for you. :)

Alternatively, for an extra £4.50 (so, a total of £58.49 - still less than you're paying now), you could get 2Mb broadband if you call Sales (0800 183 1234) and ask for the "Talk Unlimited, 2Mb and Family TV Value Pack", with the phone line upgraded to Talk Unlimited 24.

Neil
02-11-2005, 11:33
Pipex have a 'X amount of Free Calls' offer on at the moment.

Click me (http://www.solo.pipex.net/)

SilverFox
05-11-2005, 10:45
Thanks Jimbo and Neil (postings on 2 Nov)

Have spoken to ntl and your info. jimbo is spot-on. The crafty clause from ntl, is that I would have to sign a new 12month's contract . . . . !

The Pipex 'Start' package for domestic users, offers 2mb (provided the area area can accommodate ) with a 1gb limit (£2.70/3gb block thereafter) if one signs up before 23 Dec, the 2nd & 3rd months are FREE, then resume at £14.99p m;
500 mins/mth of 01/02 Home 'phone calls are buckshee then charged at their normal rate (2.3p/1p/1p per min) unless a 'Pipex Talk' pack (3000 mins/mth) at £4.99 was bought (nothing off the main pack for 'not useing' the 500 free mins).
As a cabled house I would have to get a BT line re-installed (cost currently to be investigated).
It looks promising, but as yet I haven't done a full costing exercise.
Anything I've missed??

Thanks again.:)

Neil
05-11-2005, 12:51
Thanks Jimbo and Neil (postings on 2 Nov)

Have spoken to ntl and your info. jimbo is spot-on. The crafty clause from ntl, is that I would have to sign a new 12month's contract . . . . !

The Pipex 'Start' package for domestic users, offers 2mb (provided the area area can accommodate ) with a 1gb limit (£2.70/3gb block thereafter) if one signs up before 23 Dec, the 2nd & 3rd months are FREE, then resume at £14.99p m;
500 mins/mth of 01/02 Home 'phone calls are buckshee then charged at their normal rate (2.3p/1p/1p per min) unless a 'Pipex Talk' pack (3000 mins/mth) at £4.99 was bought (nothing off the main pack for 'not useing' the 500 free mins).
As a cabled house I would have to get a BT line re-installed (cost currently to be investigated).
It looks promising, but as yet I haven't done a full costing exercise.
Anything I've missed??

Thanks again.:)

If the property has had BT before (I presume it has as you mention a 're'installation), then all you need to do is ring BT & they will take care of the whole migration.

Best of all-you won't even have to speak to ntl about it. :hyper:

Click me (http://www.bt.com/reconnect/index.jsp?obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1114&obsPage=/lines/index.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=83036)

SilverFox
06-11-2005, 12:03
Thanks Neil for the info on BT.

Jimbo, Might it be worthwhile trying to negotiate with ntl about the new 12month contract, after all I've been with them for 3 years . . . . ?

quadplay
06-11-2005, 12:04
Unlikely, I'm afraid - but you don't get anywhere without trying!

SilverFox
07-11-2005, 22:49
:D I'm pleased to say that I did contact ntl again today, told them of my options and that I could reduce my costs, for a better package, by almost 20%. I was moved across a couple of departments over a period of half-an-hour or so, but bless their cotton socks -- they came up trumps.
A result!!
I'm pleased with myself and just as important, I'm pleased with ntl (particularly Clare and Ben) and you guys out there.
Thank you. :D :D :D