PDA

View Full Version : What nightly games could NTL be playing?!!

fred
17-10-2005, 07:30
I have found over the last 2 days that during the day the bandwidth is almost zero, but at night (between 9p.m. and 6a.m.) the speed is back up near normal.

Perhaps I have been a naughty boy and used the service too much so they are smacking my legs?!!

Nigel

Neil
17-10-2005, 07:41
What have ntl Technical Support said about this problem?

fred
17-10-2005, 07:51
Ah! I don't think you want to know!

Essentially they didn't say anything about the problem, but here his what happened.

I contacted them yesterday (Sun) using online chat in 'broadband medic' but very quickly they asked me to phone them as it would be necessary to reboot PC and modem.
The number they gave me said "Welcome to NTL broadband, we are now closed"!!! So I went back to online chat and asked what is going on and was told that as they were taking phone calls it must be my phone line!!!
Eventually after much badgering (from me) the guy telephoned me (I nearly fell off my chair!). But only to say that he was phoning as a favour and to tell me to contact Customer services the next day (today) as he had some problem with a database (what that had to do with me and why I had to phone CS to sort it I couldn't get from him).
There is more of the same but I haven't the effort to type nor, I suspect, you to read.
As I write this the speed has picked up again to near normal, so I am even more puzzeled.

Nigel

jonbr
17-10-2005, 14:20
Did you just dial 150 and select BB support or did you try calling them on the 0845 number. Going via the 150 number gives a closed message on a Sunday but the 0845 number does not, from what I can rmember any way!

fred
17-10-2005, 14:34
I don't have NTL phones so I used the 0845 number. It was obvious there was a problem in the regional routing of the number so it went to the wrong answering service. But that fact it did at least go to NTL and yet the guy still wanted to tell me my phone line was duff, rather took the biscuit!
The good news is that Customer Services were a deal more responsive and they readily accepted that the modem is faulty and have arranged an engineer to call this p.m. (still waiting).
However I still don't understand why with a duff modem that I got good bandwidth between 9pm and 6am?
A mystery
Nigel

fred
17-10-2005, 20:17
The engineer diagnosed a cable fault. But the bad news is they won't have anyone to run a new cable in for 10 days!!!
Has anyone been able to negotiate a refund/compensation for this kind of loss of service?

Nigel

Chris W
17-10-2005, 20:21
you will be able to get a refund (probably in the form of a months credit)

contact ntl when the problem is resolved, and then you should get credited for the relevant period :)

IanGuy
17-10-2005, 21:03
The number you should contact if you don't have an ntl phone is:

0800 052 2000

At least that won't charge you :P

fred
28-10-2005, 20:38
Just to put a closer on this one (which started over 12 days ago)
I eventually spoke with NTL on the Monday and they arranged an engineer to call to replace the modem. He came, but didn't replace the modem, instead he faulted the cable and arranged for a cable crew to attend but on the 27th (10 days later!).
Yesterday (27th) the cable guys attended, but they didn't replace the cable, they replaced the modem!!!
So I had waited over 10 days for a modem which the original engineer was supposed to supply.
However I have got a half price subs for the next 3 months to compensate for the wait.
But even then the engineers didn't deregister the old modem so I couldn't connect with the new one until I chased the problem with Tech Support.

What can you do?

Nigel