PDA

View Full Version : [Merged] Problems in Nottingham

Swoopie
16-10-2005, 19:26
Anybody around nottingham (DE7 Area) having any issues? I've had some for 2 nights now, Thought it was just something random NTL are doing to start off with, But it's doing it again now...

Basicly, Things are just loosing connection for a slight second, E.G If I leave a ping going, I'll notice that I'll get "Request Timed Out" As well as Something disconnecting.

Another example: I Run a Anticheat Scanner, Which basically, Clients connect to it (Like a FTP server for example) And exchanges data... Some times there connection will drop from the scanner, And I'll see a request timed out If I have a ping request running.

I've checked connections, They all seem fine, It isn't just this PC Which does it also, It also happens on my other PC.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.80 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 28.67 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 52.00 dBmv

I'm not quite sure what the problem could be? Peering issue or something?, It's really frustating :(

Thanks guys :)

Paul K
16-10-2005, 21:20
Have you tried NTL tech support? That D/S received power level looks a bit low.

Schwong
16-10-2005, 22:49
Im in nottingham too, having unstable net at the moment, lots of ping spikes, packetloss and sometimes my connection times out/drops aswell, but only for a few seconds or minutes.

nffc
16-10-2005, 23:03
Mine's fine.

Graham M
17-10-2005, 00:21
Is it me or do nottingham seem to get quite a few BB problems?

Paul
17-10-2005, 00:24
Is it me or do nottingham seem to get quite a few BB problems?It's you. :)

Problems (for me at least) are very rare.

homealone
17-10-2005, 00:52
Is it me or do nottingham seem to get quite a few BB problems?It's you. :)

Problems (for me at least) are very rare.

my default proxy server is nottingham - problems are rare for me, also ;)

Swoopie
17-10-2005, 01:06
Lucky lot :( - Still happening :(

homealone
17-10-2005, 01:23
Lucky lot :( - Still happening :(

what do you get if you click the 'connection' link in the forum toolbar?

<edit> don't post the full IP - edit out the last octet :)

jtwn
17-10-2005, 02:29
Is it me or do nottingham seem to get quite a few BB problems?

Yeah next to no problems with me too. Probably just seems so with so many customers are connected to there (judging by the amount of proxy servers/surrounding areas that go through there).

Swoopie
17-10-2005, 03:48
82.5.106.* :)

jrhnewark
17-10-2005, 10:17
Again, it's rare for me to have problems - three or four outages in over a year and a half isn't too bad.:)

Swoopie
17-10-2005, 22:10
so far it's allright 2nyt .... :), Let's see what later on brings :P

homealone
17-10-2005, 22:33
so far it's allright 2nyt .... :), Let's see what later on brings :P

good to hear, the 'connection' trace showed you are getting a 'proper' IP - hope it stays stable :tu:

parkie
18-10-2005, 21:11
Anybody around nottingham (DE7 Area) having any issues? I've had some for 2 nights now, Thought it was just something random NTL are doing to start off with, But it's doing it again now...

Basicly, Things are just loosing connection for a slight second, E.G If I leave a ping going, I'll notice that I'll get "Request Timed Out" As well as Something disconnecting.

Another example: I Run a Anticheat Scanner, Which basically, Clients connect to it (Like a FTP server for example) And exchanges data... Some times there connection will drop from the scanner, And I'll see a request timed out If I have a ping request running.

I've checked connections, They all seem fine, It isn't just this PC Which does it also, It also happens on my other PC.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -6.80 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 28.67 dB

I'm not quite sure what the problem could be? Peering issue or something?, It's really frustating :(

Thanks guys :)

I've had a bit of trouble this last weekend, gaming was a pain with connection problems and surfing was slow at times, it seems better today though.

p

GreenGoblin
20-10-2005, 19:26
Hey,

Some of you may remember me from a while ago now when i had problems with high pings etc, After several attempts to exsplain this to the NTL indian customer support i gave up and carried on with the problem, i think in the end NTL got the hint that somthing was wrong and they fixed it.

But now its back with something else, Now i get packet loss during online gaming. Tbh i don't feel like chating on the phone to someone accross the world for half an hour asking me if my computer is turned on. So i thought i would look back her for guidence.

Before i spoke to a ntl employee from here (can't remember his name) but he mensioned somthing about Downstream and upstream power or somthing. And he shown me how to retrieve this information which i did, then shown it him. He said theres somthing defo wrong with something, So i rang NTL and told them that there was a problem with upstream power etc and they said theres nothing wrong and put the phone down.

So now i'm back to thinking thats it the upstream power etc thats causing my problem, I somehow remembered how to retrieve this information;

Downstream Receive Power Level : -14.90 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 32.19 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 38.00 dBmv

Could someone tell me if this is the cause of my problems? or if its another problem all together and could improve my internet service.

Thanks in advance!!

Regards
GreenGoblin

jtwn
20-10-2005, 19:29
http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=26006 would say its fine.

maverick
20-10-2005, 19:39
Your downsteram signal is way off at -14

Downstream Receive Power: Ideally +/- 3dBmV, cause for concern at around +/- 8dBmV, different modems handle the higher and lower levels differently however I'd expect to see service degredation at that point.

I would expect to see your modem drop off all together with that downsteram signal

Graham M
20-10-2005, 19:42
*waves at GreenGoblin*

Im sure i said in another thread that theres always problems in Nottingham and I got shot down...not in Nottingham tho :)

GreenGoblin
20-10-2005, 19:52
So there is a problem yeah?

1 person says im wrong then someone says im right :dozey:

maverick
20-10-2005, 20:01
This is a problem from cabinet to modem,you will need to speak to tech support on this.

jtwn
20-10-2005, 20:58
So there is a problem yeah?

1 person says im wrong then someone says im right :dozey:

Fine on upstream ;)

GreenGoblin
20-10-2005, 21:00
OO no not tech support :erm:

What can i say to get there attension?

maverick
20-10-2005, 21:21
Tell em straight "my downstream power level is -14"

They will see for themselves when they run the test.

GreenGoblin
20-10-2005, 21:23
Hmm ok we'll see what they'll say...

GreenGoblin
20-10-2005, 23:33
Was like talking to a brickwall..

"Is your pc turned on"

"Is your cable modem flashing"

"Sorry sir from the tests we have ran from here theres somthing wrong with your cable on your street but its not effecting your service"

I say to them my Power downstream is -14 and they say Erm whats that sir?

Hmm what else can i do?

looselipsuk
21-10-2005, 00:20
Thought I might jump in as I come under Mansfield/Nottingham and my default proxy is 'nott-cache-8.server.ntli.net' .
Thought I would check my levels and hope somebody here could tell me if they are right or not as my downstream power level I think is not right.
Here are my figures.

Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.8dBmV
Downstrem SNR : 33.3dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 41.0dBmV

Hope somebody can tell me if my Downstream Receive Power Level is incorrect as all the others seem fine..

nffc
21-10-2005, 00:31
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.53 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 34.14 dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 40.00 dBmv

jrhnewark
21-10-2005, 01:08
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.8dBmV
Downstrem SNR : 33.3dB
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 41.0dBmV

Hope somebody can tell me if my Downstream Receive Power Level is incorrect as all the others seem fine..They're all fine. The first wants to be within -5 and +5dBmV, the DSNR wants to be above 30dB and the upstream transmit power level wants to be anything upto.. well, anything up to around 60dBmV, I suppose, as long as it's working.

Mine are somewhere around this - massive changes recently after works in the local area...

Downstream Receive Power Level : 7dBmV (ex. 2dBmV)
Downstream SNR : 31dB (ex. 34dB)
Upstream "": 50dBmV

No real problems, though. The odd dropout recently, but that's at UBR end not SACM end. :)

looselipsuk
21-10-2005, 01:51
Thanks for the info.
It was the + - part that confused me.
Sign of getting old I suppose.lol

Swoopie
21-10-2005, 12:31
Mines running fine still (Other night, Net died for quite a few people on the stape area) But everything is brilliant, Had no drops (yet) *touch wood*

Downstream Receive Power Level : -5.04 dBmv
Downstream SNR : 29.60 dB

bacardi
21-10-2005, 20:39
i have had no connection since the 19th and Ntl say they are not coming out untill the 25th. I have had to sign up with a pay as you go to post

jrhnewark
21-10-2005, 20:54
i have had no connection since the 19th and Ntl say they are not coming out untill the 25th. I have had to sign up with a pay as you go to postMake sure you receive some compensation for the loss of service, which you're entitled to if the service is off for more than 24 hours.

Get all you can out of them - broadband being down is a big annoyance, especially for that long. P)

Paul
21-10-2005, 20:58
i have had no connection since the 19th and Ntl say they are not coming out untill the 25th. I have had to sign up with a pay as you go to postIs that the first (only) date they offered you ?