Bex
24-10-2003, 12:54
foil

is it me or has this forum gone weird? :erm: :eek:

I was thinking of taking sandwiches into work next week

and was wondering whether to wrap them in foil or clingfilm

any suggestions?

always prefferd foil myself ......not for any particular reason....apart from feeling more satisfying when unwrapping the sarnies....!!!! each to thier own i suppose

basa
You really dont make a mistake here.

it has to be Foil everytime :Peace:

Clingfilm :nono: :zzz:

Erm...care to explain why ??

Paul K
Cling film is good for wrapping certain things..

Bex
24-10-2003, 12:56
Cling film is good for wrapping certain things..
:naughty:

Paul K
24-10-2003, 12:59
:naughty:
Don't know what you are inferring young lady ;) I was talking about keeping produce fresh :p

dodgyboy
24-10-2003, 13:02
Erm...care to explain why ??

Well... foil make a much nicer sound when being unwrapped, and doesnt get ramdomly stuck to itself like film.

And if all else fails to covince you you cant make one of these (http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?TinFoilHat) out of cling film :D

timewarrior2001
24-10-2003, 13:02
Foil cos I heard clingfilm can make you sterile.

Paul K
24-10-2003, 13:07
:eek:

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 13:08
get yourself down to your nearest pound shop and buy a roll of sandwich bags for a pound , usually you get around 1000 for your money , well worth it i reckon :)

kronas
24-10-2003, 13:14
foil

is it me or has this forum gone weird? :erm: :eek:

is someone trying to domesticate this forum :p :rolleyes:

foil it is for them

altis
24-10-2003, 13:16
Most stuff's all right but, I think, you're not supposed to leave it in contact with cheese.

zoombini
24-10-2003, 13:33
Ditto the sandwich bags.

But which is more environmentally friendly?

Chris
24-10-2003, 13:36
Shouldn't this thread be in lifestyle ... actually no, it's pure entertainment, best leave it where it is.

Peachey, why don't you just post us your weekly shopping list to save yourself starting a ton of threads, and we can offer comments on what you should add/remove?

PS - Have you just moved out of your parents' house or something?

spacedhopper
24-10-2003, 13:39
What about a good ol' fashioned sandwich box?

peachey
24-10-2003, 13:42
What about a good ol' fashioned sandwich box?

a good idea that

I was starting to err on the side of foil putting aside the risk of getting a piece of it on your filling

but the sandwich box has opened up a 'third way'

Chris
24-10-2003, 13:47
a good idea that

I was starting to err on the side of foil putting aside the risk of getting a piece of it on your filling

but the sandwich box has opened up a 'third way'
But if the sandwich box is not exactly the right size, it will either be too small and squash your butties, or be too big and allow them to disintegrate into a crummy mess.

You can't beat a piece of clingfilm for versatility and sealed-in freshness.

*can't believe I just said any of this

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 13:49
But if the sandwich box is not exactly the right size, it will either be too small and squash your butties, or be too big and allow them to disintegrate into a crummy mess.

agreed , sandwiches wrapped however in your sandwich box stops them falling apart and getting squashed , try cheese and jam ones for a change :drool:

spacedhopper
24-10-2003, 13:50

Ah, sandwich box politics, I never had any of these worries at school with my Postman Pat novelty sarnie box, everything fitted perfectly, even room for a flask. Thems were the days!!

Chris
24-10-2003, 13:57
Ah, sandwich box politics, I never had any of these worries at school with my Postman Pat novelty sarnie box, everything fitted perfectly, even room for a flask. Thems were the days!!
Flip me! Postman Pat novelty sarnie box? You must still be in short trousers my lad. You're making me feel very old indeed, with my Disney's The Black Hole flask ... :disturbd:

A further lunchbox problem, if the butties are unwrapped and sharing a container with other items - an apple, for example - is the tendency for said items to roll all over the butties and squash them. Butties sharing a box with a banana also have a tendency to acquire a faint fruity taste as well.

basa
24-10-2003, 14:06
Good grief !!!!! :disturbd:

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 14:16
i still say sandwich bags are the best because if you like fairy cakes for your dinner then then you can pop them in no problem , try doing that with cling film , you end up with a squashed gooey mess :rolleyes:

peachey
24-10-2003, 14:23
i still say sandwich bags are the best because if you like fairy cakes for your dinner then then you can pop them in no problem , try doing that with cling film , you end up with a squashed gooey mess :rolleyes:

sandwich bags sound like a good option

do you suggest the ones that you can seal at the end or the ones where you get a sort of coloured piece of wire to tie them up with

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 14:31
sandwich bags sound like a good option

do you suggest the ones that you can seal at the end or the ones where you get a sort of coloured piece of wire to tie them up with

i just tie a not in the ones i get , self seal ones are too expensive to chuck away :nono:

Russ
24-10-2003, 14:32
Clingfilm - you can get up to all kinds of mischief with it :D :D ;)

peachey
24-10-2003, 14:51
yeah - if you tie a knot in them I suppose you sort of take up the slack sort of thing while in a sealed bag the contents could move around - like what got mentioned about the lunchbox earlier on in the thread

I don't suppose you can get foil sandwich bags

Chris
24-10-2003, 14:54
Ah, clingfilm, the ladies' toilet ... a staple gag of many a University Christian Union houseparty. My, how we chortled. :D

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 14:56

there you go , just when we are having a sensible conversation about the relative merits of sandwich containers up pops russ :rolleyes: :nono: ;)

now then foil sarnie bags , i must look on lakeland's website :)

Bex
24-10-2003, 15:12
i think this should be moved to humour, cos it is sure making me laff :rofl:

towny, you getting in touch with ur feminin side hun? ;) (i know i cant spell)

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 15:14

I often get in touch with my feminine side, but then I'm a dirty old man :naughty:

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 15:19

no no this is a sensible conversation about the relevant merits of sarnie containers , dont you dare get it moved the the humour forum :Peace: :)

Chris
24-10-2003, 15:23

Not a bit of it, lunchboxes are a very manly thing and we spend a great deal of time pondering them.

basa
24-10-2003, 15:34
Not a bit of it, lunchboxes are a very manly thing and we spend a great deal of time pondering them.

:rofl: :nono:

Bex
24-10-2003, 15:47

:rofl:

is that what they call it now :naughty:

Atomic22
24-10-2003, 18:16
hehe it has to be silver foil for me because after lunch you can roll it up into a ball and lob it at someone...you cant do this with a plastic bag and clingfilm doesnt have the correct "ball-like" consistency

paulyoung666
24-10-2003, 19:00
hehe it has to be silver foil for me because after lunch you can roll it up into a ball and lob it at someone...you cant do this with a plastic bag and clingfilm doesnt have the correct "ball-like" consistency

ahhhhhhhhhh but with a sandwich bag you can fill it with air and pop it behind someone and make them jump :eeek:

ian@huth
24-10-2003, 22:50
Clingfilm, foil, sandwich bags, sandwich boxes. :shocked: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Where were you folks brought up? :confused:

Pop into Fortnum and Masons and pick up their gourmet hamper. :drool:

swoop101
24-10-2003, 23:07
why don't you just use the empty bread wrapper/bag to keep your butties fresh ?

Maggy
24-10-2003, 23:51
Incog carefully backs away keeping a close eye on everyone as she slowly makes her way to the exit hoping that no one spots her and that she can make it out safely.

Nutters she mutters as she slips through the doorway.

Phew! That was close.

:walk:

Incog wonders why there isn't a running smiley?

MadGamer
31-10-2003, 15:04
foil

is it me or has this forum gone weird? :erm: :eek: I do agree with you. Why have we started talking about foil and clingfilm? Yes i did read the first post. :D

paulyoung666
31-10-2003, 15:19
I do agree with you. Why have we started talking about foil and clingfilm? Yes i did read the first post. :D

because it is very important what you wrap your butties in , you obviously arent up on your bait etiquette are you , and i still say sarnie bags are the best ;)

peachey
31-10-2003, 15:48
because it is very important what you wrap your butties in , you obviously arent up on your bait etiquette are you , and i still say sarnie bags are the best ;)

another consideration when purchasing rolls of foil and clingfilm is the width of the box itself, should one be comtemplating storing the said item in a drawer.

Previously I bought a roll of clingfilm that was too wide to go in the drawer and thus committed my domestic faux pas

SMHarman
31-10-2003, 16:03
Clingfilm, foil, sandwich bags, sandwich boxes. :shocked: :nono: :nono: :nono:

Where were you folks brought up? :confused:

Pop into Fortnum and Masons and pick up their gourmet hamper. :drool:

Didn't know there was a F&M in Huthwaite, Nottinghamshire! :rofl:

Paul
31-10-2003, 16:04

any suggestions?
Take the bread, butter (if you use it) and filling to work with you and make your sarnies up when you are ready. :D

paulyoung666
31-10-2003, 16:48
Take the bread, butter (if you use it) and filling to work with you and make your sarnies up when you are ready. :D

theres always one isnt there wherever you go :banghead: :D

Ramrod
31-10-2003, 17:20
I once got hold of industrial shrinkwrap and shrinkwrapped my girlfriend up:naughty:
....foil just wouldn't have been the same;)
....(shes my wife now):D

SMHarman
31-10-2003, 17:23
I once got hold of industrial shrinkwrap and shrinkwrapped my girlfriend up:naughty:
....foil just wouldn't have been the same;)
....(shes my wife now):D

You'd certainly need a RamRod to poke your way through that stuff

fnar fnar :LOL:

Ramrod
31-10-2003, 17:40
You'd certainly need a RamRod to poke your way through that stuff

fnar fnar :LOL:Modesty forbids me from elaborating:naughty: :D :rofl:

dozysplot
31-10-2003, 19:14
You lot are SAD..... :disturbd:

any way its to late, whilst you lot were gassing away about what to wrap em in, I snuck in and ate them

:LOL: :LOL:

paulyoung666
31-10-2003, 19:28
You lot are SAD..... :disturbd:

any way its to late, whilst you lot were gassing away about what to wrap em in, I snuck in and ate them

:LOL: :LOL:

ahhhhhhhhhhhhh but did you enjoy the cheese and jam ones i left :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

hang on if we are so sad thren why are you reading / replying to this thread ???????????????

darant
31-10-2003, 19:39

any suggestions?

I beleive that clinnfilm has chemicals in it so Foil.

here (http://www.ask.co.uk/ix.asp?q=should+I+use+clingfilm+or+foil%3F&ac=none&xx=0&qid=E613247B703D084F8ED2C1F0AE4D14F1&p=0&s=1&sp=ix&fn=t&b=0&fo=2&r=10&io=4&fp=4&fr=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eenvironment%2Esoton%2Eac%2E uk%2Fwaste%2Fwaste%2Ehtm&adurl=)

Is cling film safe to use?

Yes, but like all things it must be used correctly. The Food Standards Agency has issued advice to consumers on using cling film safely. We have also made recommendations to manufacturers on labelling their products to help consumers use them properly.

Should I avoid using it in certain situations?

The Agency advises that not every cling film is suitable for all uses. The following points are aimed at protecting the quality and taste of food from easily avoidable migration from cling films, and preventing inappropriate use of films.

Do not use cling films where they may melt into the food, such as in conventional ovens or with pots and pans on cooker hobs.

When re-heating or cooking food in a microwave oven ensure that the cling film does not touch the food.

Only use cling film in contact with high fat foods when the manufacturerâââ€à …¡Ã‚¬Ã¢â€žÂ¢s advice states it is suitable for this. Examples of high fat foods include some types of cheese, raw meats with a layer of fat, fried meats, pastry products, and cakes with butter icing or chocolate coatings.

Are there rules that protect consumers?

Yes. European Commission Directive 2002/72/EEC lays down Europe-wide rules to protect public health by controlling the substances used in plastic food contact materials and setting conditions for their use. These rules are fully implemented in UK food law.
Independent expert committees have assessed plasticisers used in cling film and, where necessary, restrictions have been set to protect public health.

If you require further information, contact:

Nasreen Shah,
Food Contact Materials Unit,
Food Standards Agency
Aviation House
125 Kingsway,
London WC2B 6NH
Tel: 020 7276 8553
Fax: 020 7276 8514

Theodoric
03-11-2003, 21:40
get yourself down to your nearest pound shop and buy a roll of sandwich bags for a pound , usually you get around 1000 for your money , well worth it i reckon :)
I use lots of sandwich bags, but not for sandwiches. To be precise:

1) Take cutting and twiddle cut end in rooting hormone.

2) Push cutting into compost in 3" plant pot.

3) Take sandwich bag (cut a bit off the open end if too large), place over top of plant pot and secure to plant pot with an elsatic band.

4) Place said plant pot on a window sill or in a greenhouse.

5) After a suitable length of time, remove the bag.

Why, I hear you all asking. Because until the cutting roots, it is losing water through the leaves but not taking much in through the cut end. The plastic bag provides a nice, moist environment.

carlingman
03-11-2003, 23:26
I use lots of sandwich bags, but not for sandwiches. To be precise:

1) Take cutting and twiddle cut end in rooting hormone.

2) Push cutting into compost in 3" plant pot.

3) Take sandwich bag (cut a bit off the open end if too large), place over top of plant pot and secure to plant pot with an elsatic band.

4) Place said plant pot on a window sill or in a greenhouse.

5) After a suitable length of time, remove the bag.

Why, I hear you all asking. Because until the cutting roots, it is losing water through the leaves but not taking much in through the cut end. The plastic bag provides a nice, moist environment.

Did you miss

6) Wait for cutting to grow and take said cutting snip up and mix with a bit of Tobacco and skin up and enjoy.

:LOL: :devsmoke:

Theodoric
06-11-2003, 18:46
I beleive that clinnfilm has chemicals in it so Foil.

Sigh! Yes, clingfilm has chemicals in it. So does foil. So does unbleached cotton sheet. So do all 'organic' products. So do you. Deepest intergalactic space is a reasonable approximation to somewhere that has no chemicals in it and, although others might disagree, I would contend that a plasma has chemicals in it. I shall now cease beating my head against this particular brick wall, because if ever a cause was lost, this one is.

Shaun
06-11-2003, 19:40
Sigh! Yes, clingfilm has chemicals in it. So does foil. So does unbleached cotton sheet. So do all 'organic' products. So do you. Deepest intergalactic space is a reasonable approximation to somewhere that has no chemicals in it and, although others might disagree, I would contend that a plasma has chemicals in it. I shall now cease beating my head against this particular brick wall, because if ever a cause was lost, this one is.

If someone can find me a place or item with no chemicals in it at all then I'll give them my life savings (67p) :disturbd:

chambece
07-03-2004, 02:12
If someone can find me a place or item with no chemicals in it at all then I'll give them my life savings (67p) :disturbd:

It's a while since I've done physics, but what about a vacuum? (and I don't mean hoover)

poolking
07-03-2004, 11:57
ahhhhhhhhhh but with a sandwich bag you can fill it with air and pop it behind someone and make them jump :eeek:
Now wheres that pic, of 2 bomb disposal experts, one with a blown up paper bag standing behind the other? :D

peachey
07-03-2004, 12:06
so what is the consensus then?

do we use the shinier side of
the foil facing towards the food or facing outwards

poolking
07-03-2004, 12:14
If I did take sandwiches to work and if I did use kitchen foil instead of cling film, I would put the shinier side on the outside, looks nicer that way. :D

Julian
07-03-2004, 12:16
so what is the consensus then?

do we use the shinier side of
the foil facing towards the food or facing outwards

The shiny side is supposed to be on the outside so women can check their hair/make up whilst using it. :)