PDA

View Full Version : eternal life possible soon ?

kronas
24-10-2003, 02:43
scientists have been testing a new evasive treatment which has extended the life of a worm by a human 500 years using hormone manipulation they were able to achieve this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3209515.stm

Bex
24-10-2003, 16:24
i would question the thread title..eternal life is already possible but not in the way u mean ;)

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 16:24
i would question the thread title..eternal life is already possible but not in the way u mean ;)

tee-hee prove it :D

Russ
24-10-2003, 16:26
Tee hee we don't need to! :D

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 16:28
Tee hee we don't need to! :D

Then I don't believe Bexy's statement :D

Bex
24-10-2003, 16:44

that's entirely up to you, i know the truth and so does russ :D

Russ
24-10-2003, 16:46

No!!! Y'don't say!!!

Well I don't believe Kronas' link :D

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 16:49
No!!! Y'don't say!!!

Well I don't believe Kronas' link :D

But it's there at the top of the thread! :D

Russ
24-10-2003, 16:52
I didn't say I didn't believe it was there, I just don't believe what the link says :)

Bex
24-10-2003, 16:58
don't know about anyone else but i wouldn't want to live an "eternal" life on this planet anyway.....can think of much better places to spend my eternity :D

Nor
24-10-2003, 17:01
oh joy another thread about religion.

Bex
24-10-2003, 17:06
oh joy another thread about religion.

actually it is a thread about science, however i dont like the title kronas has given the thread since it is misleading

afaik on this forum one is still allowed to voice their opinions.........:erm:

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 17:13
How can asking if eternal life could become possible be misleading?

What concerns me is the bit about removing reproductive organs extending life! :eeek:

Bex
24-10-2003, 17:15
How can asking if eternal life could become possible be misleading?

What concerns me is the bit about removing reproductive organs extending life! :eeek:

because kronas knows the response us "churchy's" would make......

what concerns me is mucking around with the genetic make-up of animals :erm:

trebor
24-10-2003, 17:19
from a scientific point of view you could say everything was immortal/eternal. everything is made of atoms which are the only things you can not destroy. so while my body may die the parts it is made of will continue and eventually reform into something else.

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 17:22
from a scientific point of view you could say everything was immortal/eternal. everything is made of atoms which are the only things you can not destroy. so while my body may die the parts it is made of will continue and eventually reform into something else.

Yup :)
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transfered.
Therefore we have been around for ever and will be around for ever, in one form or another.

Bex
24-10-2003, 17:22

a wee bit of an aside....and i know im going off topic a bit.......but did u know that theory originated with the ancient greek philosophers/scientists?

Stuart
24-10-2003, 17:24
Ahh now this could get to be an interesting thread (or at least interesting row about religion)..

I personally don't believe we will ever achieve eternal life (even the planet has a limited lifespan). I do believe we will achieve an extended life span (maybe up to 500 years), although our way of life (and the economy) will have to change to accomodate this.

Edit: As this thread seemed to change course while I was typing this, I will clarify my views.. I don't believe we will ever achieve eternal life in our current form.

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 17:24
a wee bit of an aside....and i know im going off topic a bit.......but did u know that theory originated with the ancient greek philosophers/scientists?

Yup Atom comes from the Greek meaning indivisible, course atoms are divisible, but they weren't to know that :)

(also it's thanks to the greeks that we have demons (the beings that were the link between the gods and man). it's amazing what you pick up on unix courses)

Stuart
24-10-2003, 17:27
(also it's thanks to the greeks that we have demons (the beings that were the link between the gods and man). it's amazing what you pick up on unix courses)
Shouldn't that be daemons? :D

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 17:29
Shouldn't that be daemons? :D

I was refuring to christianity's warped version of them :D

By warped I mean that the church took the greek idea of them being hard working things and turned them into the devil's minions hell bent on evil and mischief etc

Was that a good save? :p

Bex
24-10-2003, 17:32
I was refuring to christianity's warped version of them :D

By warped I mean that the church took the greek idea of them being hard working things and turned them into the devil's minions hell bent on evil and mischief etc

Was that a good save? :p

ohhhhh i saw the first line and almost went :mad: lol

i don't think this is a thread to deal with the theology of the bible.....and where u think the ideas came from :p

Xaccers
24-10-2003, 17:38
ohhhhh i saw the first line and almost went :mad: lol

See, that's why it's always important to read the whole post before letting yourself form an opinion :D

Living for 500 years, well depends how old physically you are during those 500 years.
I mean, wouldn't be so bad if you reached 20, looked like that until 450 then started to age normally.
Would be a bit of a bummer if you spent the last 100 years of your life in the body of a 90 year old with incontinence, artheritus or parkinsons

kronas
24-10-2003, 19:01
Would be a bit of a bummer if you spent the last 100 years of your life in the body of a 90 year old with incontinence, artheritus or parkinsons

yes there would be the physical side of an extended lifespan to consider too

I personally don't believe we will ever achieve eternal life (even the planet has a limited lifespan). I do believe we will achieve an extended life span (maybe up to 500 years), although our way of life (and the economy) will have to change to accomodate this.

i believe the first step to achieving eternal life will be extending the lifespan of a human also i dont think it will be possible in our lifetime for eternal life science is rapidly progressing so i never say never :)

because kronas knows the response us "churchy's" would make......

listen to me first if i wanted to rile the churchys up i would do it directly i dont believe in side steping an issue if i have something to ask or say i will act on it directly

secondly this is a scientific thread not a religious one you may think religion has a right to poke its nose in to every little conceiveable idea/action but frankly it does not IMO

anyway back to the topic

Graham
24-10-2003, 19:20
On the subject of eternal life (no capitals!), if you can ignore the rest of it, there's some interesting thoughts in Robert Heinlein's books "Methusalah's Children" and the "follow ups" (they're not exactly sequels) such as "Time Enough for Love".

What is suggests is that, eventually, people effectively get bored with extended lifespans and tend to commit suicide either by simple means or by engaging in riskier and riskier pursuits (eg freefalling further or climbing higher cliffs without safety equipment) until eventually the odds catch up with them.

Personally I'd certainly like to live longer, but not "forever".

Ramrod
24-10-2003, 19:23
Personally I'd certainly like to live longer, but not "forever".Hmmm....I don't know about that. I've not tried it!:D

Bex
24-10-2003, 19:27
secondly this is a scientific thread not a religious one you may think religion has a right to poke its nose in to every little conceiveable idea/action but frankly it does not IMO

excuse me kronas but last time i checked we still lived in a country where we have freedom of speech...... i am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours....... my religious views are equally as valid as your non-religious or scientific beliefs........

kronas
24-10-2003, 19:29
excuse me kronas but last time i checked we still lived in a country where we have freedom of speech...... i am entitled to my opinion and you are entitled to yours....... my religious views are equally as valid as your non-religious or scientific beliefs........

agreed but insinuating something towards me when its totally incorrect just because im anti religion is wrong hence my statement

Theodoric
28-10-2003, 18:57
scientists have been testing a new evasive treatment which has extended the life of a worm by a human 500 years using hormone manipulation they were able to achieve this

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3209515.stm
Wossa evasive treatment? One where the nurse pursues you around the room brandishing an extremely large hypodermic? :)

Theodoric
28-10-2003, 19:00
Yup :)
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed, only transfered.
Therefore we have been around for ever and will be around for ever, in one form or another.
Not strictly true. Mass/energy is conserved. For example, if an electron meets a positron, both disappear and a fairly energetic gamma ray is produced (0.5 MeV bubbles up from the depths of my mind, but I stand ready to be corrected.).

aliferste
28-10-2003, 19:07
Where has the religious threads been?

Xaccers
28-10-2003, 19:14
Not strictly true. Mass/energy is conserved. For example, if an electron meets a positron, both disappear and a fairly energetic gamma ray is produced (0.5 MeV bubbles up from the depths of my mind, but I stand ready to be corrected.).

That's what it means, energy can be transfered into matter (energy in a solid form if you like), and you can transfer it back into pure energy by mixing it with some anti matter etc, but it's still energy, it still exists and therefore not destroyed :)

trebor
28-10-2003, 20:04
just another couple of thoughts for the pot.
what is forever/eternity? I have always considered time to be a man made concept. has the universe got any concept of time ?

as for the point of would I want to live longer, I don't know but I would like to know where mankind will be in say a thousand years. what will evolution do to us?
will we still be living on this planet?