PDA

View Full Version : Broadband medic & temp internet files

bargepole
13-10-2005, 23:48
Ntl 1meg, windows XP sp 2, zonealarm firewall

when I lose internet access, usually after the computer has been idle or in standby mode for a while, I start broadband medic and this leads to the screen offering to delete the temp internet files. I click ok and that usually(but not always) restores the connection. The thing is tonight before I put the computer in standby I deleted the temp internet files via start, accessories, system tools, disk cleanup.

It was in standby for about 3 hours & when I came back to the computer I had no internet access, started broadband medic & again it offered to delete temp internet files after it had done this I had internet access back. Anyone know what's happening when broadband medic deletes the temp internet files?
:erm:

Usually :- like all good problems it is not always the case sometimes I lose access while surfing & broadband medic clearing temp inter files doesn't always restore access but 3 out 4 times it does.

carter
14-10-2005, 01:00
No Idea but i do know, when i worked there i used to tell people to uninstall that blasted thing.

bargepole
14-10-2005, 09:53
I assume you mean uninstall broadband medic, but can this program cause me to lose inter access? This is the problem, and it seems b medic can usually restore this by "supposedly" clearing the temp inter files.

patrickp
14-10-2005, 17:59
Nope. I suspect that carter, and certainly myself, have never even had it on our machines, and our connections work fine - better, I suspect, than yours ATM. It's ages since I last cleared my temp files (I know I ought to!) but my connection is fine.

ISP software is always to be avoided: it's generally buggy, ill-thought out, takes up too much of your bandwidth, messes up your system, can be a ****** to uninstall, and can act as spyware...

You don't really even need it to set your connection up, excepting if you use a USB connection, you need the CD for the drivers - and even then, ethernet is infinitely to be recommended over USB.

ginaten
19-10-2005, 14:38
I had occasion to uninstall Broadband Medic and NTL provided me with details of how to do this. However whilst doing this I came across a folder in C:\Programme Files\BroadJump\Client Foundation full of files I know nothing about. Is this anything to do with Broadband or the originally installed Broadband Medic. I have left intact until I know what the folder is.
Thanks.:dunce: